Gopher tortoise?

MissSkittles

Chameleon Enthusiast
Spike and I were sitting in the back yard getting some sun when this guy/gal came along. I think it’s a gopher tortoise, but not sure. Can any one verify? It was nibbling weeds, so I offered it some greens and a silkworm but it wasn’t interested and just went on it’s way. Love it when wild critters wander in my yard. 🥰
AF531E69-6C17-4B6D-94CF-4DD48A0AD571.jpeg
093272B0-B723-430C-AFBC-49E3CF6FFD3C.jpeg

Spike and I were sitting in the back yard getting some sun when this guy/gal came along. I think it’s a gopher tortoise, but not sure. Can any one verify? It was nibbling weeds, so I offered it some greens and a silkworm but it wasn’t interested and just went on it’s way. Love it when wild critters wander in my yard. 🥰
View attachment 324260View attachment 324261

Yes it is.

View attachment 324260View attachment 324261
Yes! I work at a nature center and it looks a lot like our gopher tortoise. What a great sight

Yay! The gopher tortoise has made a burrow in my yard! Yay! My initial attempt to protect the burrow from Beast dog wasn’t enough, so now there’s a ReptiBreeze enclosure stand just sitting seemingly randomly in the yard. Perfect solution to protect from Beast dog and gives the cute tortoise a covered patio. He/she has been peeking out of it’s tunnel and accepted my offering of dandelion greens…didn’t seem to like the chicory.

Yay! The gopher tortoise has made a burrow in my yard! Yay! My initial attempt to protect the burrow from Beast dog wasn’t enough, so now there’s a ReptiBreeze enclosure stand just sitting seemingly randomly in the yard. Perfect solution to protect from Beast dog and gives the cute tortoise a covered patio. He/she has been peeking out of it’s tunnel and accepted my offering of dandelion greens…didn’t seem to like the chicory.
If you want to see him trip over his own feet bring out a strawberry or a red hibiscus flower :)

If you want to see him trip over his own feet bring out a strawberry or a red hibiscus flower :)
Tomorrow I’ll be slipping a shallow water dish under the ‘patio’ and another offering of greens. I’ll maintain the water dish but will have to fight my instinct to feed him/her regularly. Don’t want it getting even the slightest idea that humans can be trusted.

Tomorrow I’ll be slipping a shallow water dish under the ‘patio’ and another offering of greens. I’ll maintain the water dish but will have to fight my instinct to feed him/her regularly. Don’t want it getting even the slightest idea that humans can be trusted.

If you want him to stay plant some saw palmetto they use the roots as support for their burrows, and like to eat the fruit.

Also prickly pear species, and their absolute favorite is the finger rot plant. (Cnidoscolus stimulosus)

Also raspberry and black berry bushes are great tortoise attractions.

Good luck and get planting.

If you want him to stay plant some saw palmetto they use the roots as support for their burrows, and like to eat the fruit.

Also prickly pear species, and their absolute favorite is the finger rot plant. (Cnidoscolus stimulosus)

Also raspberry and black berry bushes are great tortoise attractions.

Good luck and get planting.
This makes it even more strange that he has chosen my yard for a burrow as besides the big Beast dog who I’ve saved him from a few times already, there are no plants or trees in my yard. I do have a yard full of mostly weeds with tiny little flowers…maybe they are tasty.

This makes it even more strange that he has chosen my yard for a burrow as besides the big Beast dog who I’ve saved him from a few times already, there are no plants or trees in my yard. I do have a yard full of mostly weeds with tiny little flowers…maybe they are tasty.
That's a lot of words to say your not going to immediately start planting..... :p

And yes they do like their weeds.

You don't want to cross the Council of Tortoises they get mean. And they are always watching.
a3af950115765a14c5d97475eb8822191f208ed8535a55260835d93d81d67d29_1~3.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom