Good?

Established Member
We just got a new enclosure for my cham today and got plants and everything for him.I was wondering what y’all thought of the new setup and I’m very open to advice on what to do to make it better for him. My mother doesn’t want to build a 2x2x4 rn bc he has MBD from his previous owner and she’s worried that he could fall and get seriously injured or most likely die ya know.I do plan on going out and getting oak branches tomorrow to sterilize and put in the enclosure for him to climb on and whatnot. Thanks for the help 😊😊😊
Oh yeah, ps: I am currently soaking some sphagnum moss to put in the plant pots to keep up humidity and keep him from getting in the dirt

Attachments

• A6AB072B-36FA-4AED-942A-1E08C48E15ED.jpeg
    A6AB072B-36FA-4AED-942A-1E08C48E15ED.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 83
More branch's so the cham can reach the uvb rays otherwise he will NEVER recover from mbd...
He will never fully recover from it, it is really severe from what the vet said a while ago and he won’t make a full recovery. He should get a bit better though with the supplements and uvb, but never fully the same as he was before he got it. I will put more branches for him to get to the uvb though, thank you.:)

I thought they could recover from it? I mean if its severe enough? I see it being more unlikely to recover, rather than unable?🤷‍♂️ but hey i hope he pulls through!🙏😑

I thought they could recover from it? I mean if its severe enough? I see it being more unlikely to recover, rather than unable?🤷‍♂️ but hey i hope he pulls through!🙏😑
They can, just by the research that I’ve done most of the time if it’s really severe they are very unlikely to make a full recovery. A lot of people just say that he won’t make a full recovery so I think of it as a far fetched idea. I really should believe in him a lot more. So yes, bad choice of words on my part, I thank you for the correction. I’m very grateful

He looks so thirsty 😔
He may be, even though I have to give him water by syringe really often( he doesn’t really notice water on leaves). he hates water by syringe but I gotta give him water somehow. I give him about 10 mls a day and try at least 5 more times to see if he wants any more. If he doesn’t drink around 10 mls I kinda just like make him drink it even if he doesn’t wanna. It sounds bad, but once he gets a little bit of water in his mouth he’ll start to drink without me making him. I do appreciate your concern though, I’m always worried about his water consumption.

You could give him hornworms for moisture and fog him at night, like from midnight to 4 am. If he gets high enough humidity during the night, then he really doesnt need to drink water. It's called natural hydration and you should look it up on this site, or even chameleonacademy.com

You said..."He will never fully recover from it, it is really severe from what the vet said a while ago and he won’t make a full recovery. He should get a bit better though with the supplements and uvb, but never fully the same as he was before he got it. I will put more branches for him to get to the uvb though, thank you.:)"...it doesn't look severe to me. Although some damage that I done by MBD can not be reversed they can usually recover fairly well with the use of liquid calcium, proper UVB and proper supplements and temperatures. How's his grip...weak or strong?

This shows you some bad cases of MBD...lots of info too...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...-like-how-it-happens-and-how-to-fix-it.95071/

I agree that the cage needs more branches.

You said..."I am currently soaking some sphagnum moss to put in the plant pots to keep up humidity and keep him from getting in the dirt"...I wouldn't use the moss...he might try to eat it or even ingest it accidentally and I would worry about it passing through him safely.

You could give him hornworms for moisture and fog him at night, like from midnight to 4 am. If he gets high enough humidity during the night, then he really doesnt need to drink water. It's called natural hydration and you should look it up on this site, or even chameleonacademy.com
Oh, I didn’t know that was a thing. He is a bit scared of hornworms, he puffs up and everything. I will give the fogging a try though, thank you very much

You said..."He will never fully recover from it, it is really severe from what the vet said a while ago and he won’t make a full recovery. He should get a bit better though with the supplements and uvb, but never fully the same as he was before he got it. I will put more branches for him to get to the uvb though, thank you.:)"...it doesn't look severe to me. Although some damage that I done by MBD can not be reversed they can usually recover fairly well with the use of liquid calcium, proper UVB and proper supplements and temperatures. How's his grip...weak or strong?

This shows you some bad cases of MBD...lots of info too...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...-like-how-it-happens-and-how-to-fix-it.95071/

I agree that the cage needs more branches.

You said..."I am currently soaking some sphagnum moss to put in the plant pots to keep up humidity and keep him from getting in the dirt"...I wouldn't use the moss...he might try to eat it or even ingest it accidentally and I would worry about it passing through him safely.
Oh, the vet said it was really severe. I was kind of getting the gist that he was wrong about it being that bad. He has a very strong grip and that is a reason that now I don’t think it is that bad, and his limbs aren’t really deformed like I’ve seen in other cases of MBD. One of my Leo’s has MBD and it’s a bit worse than the Chams so that’s also a factor in that. Although I already put the moss in but I’ll take it out ASAP.

I do the nighttime fogging, but I still mist for 2 minutes in the morning and 2 minutes in the evening, but my chameleons never drink during the misting. They always have white urates though, so I know they are getting hydrated enough from the fogging.

Maybe you should answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread near the top of the health forum so we can check on the husbandry.

What have you been doing to correct the MBD in the Leo?
How long ago did he get it?

Do you have other reptiles too?
Yes, I do have other reptiles and fish as well. My Leo with MBD has been sick since before I got him which was when I was in sixth grade so I’d say he’s had it for about four years now. He has the correct supplements, heat, and food so he gets better and he has made a drastic change from when I got him. I have 5 reptiles in total, 1 cham, and 4 Leos. Another one of my Leo’s has a sight problem bc of the previous owner having their heat source In lamps that also produced light. They had lights on 24/7 which caused the sight problem. My other Leo’s are completely healthy and active though with my female having an extremely thick tail that I am so proud of lol. The leo with MBD is coming up close to her tail size, and may actually be the same at this point. I will try to answer those questions though, as best as I can. Sorry for all of the Leo info, I love the little buggers to death and love talking about them :)

Honestly to me he just looks horribly starved.
How much is he eating?
To boost humidity I would just start longer misting sessions, like 5+ minutes if you can.
The MBD will be what it is. If he can climb and eat and you stop the process he can have plenty of years in him.

Do you know how he got that thin? Has he been tested for parasites?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
    He is a male veiled chameleon, I’m not sure of how long he has been in my care, maybe about 6 months and I wasn’t told his age.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?I try to handle him the least amount possible, but to feed him and give him water I have to sometimes. I’d say once a day maybe
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Right now I’ve mostly been feeding him BSFL and small dubias, he doesn’t want anything else
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I’m using zoomed calcium and multivitamin. I have a mix of multivitamin, calcium, and D3 that I made and use 2x a month and use only calcium 2x weekly
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?I mist him very often, I’d say around 8x a day bc the humidity is nowhere near where it should be. I never see him drinking so I also give him water by syringe at least 5x a day
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? He poops a good amount, maybe once every 3-4 days. The poops look good, darker brown and don’t have anything in them. He has been tested for parasites, the results came back negative.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. No, I don’t think so

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen, 16x16x 32 I think
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?he has zoomed lights, T5HO and 10.0 uvb
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I have a thermometer in his cage at all times, floor is around 72 and basking spot is around 85-90. Lowest overnight temp is around 69
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I also have a hygrometer in his cage at all times, levels are 30-50% during the day. If it gets lower, I give the cage a good mist and if it gets higher I leave it alone for the levels to drop
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Absolutely, an umbrella plant and a bromeliad at the moment I used to have a Pothos in there but decided to take it out bc I didn’t like the look of it, he didn’t eat any of it.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? No it isn’t really near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas. The height may be at around 5,5 feet above the ground
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? I’m in East Tennessee

Back
Top Bottom