Good?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
    He is a male veiled chameleon, I’m not sure of how long he has been in my care, maybe about 6 months and I wasn’t told his age.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?I try to handle him the least amount possible, but to feed him and give him water I have to sometimes. I’d say once a day maybe
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Right now I’ve mostly been feeding him BSFL and small dubias, he doesn’t want anything else
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I’m using zoomed calcium and multivitamin. I have a mix of multivitamin, calcium, and D3 that I made and use 2x a month and use only calcium 2x weekly
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?I mist him very often, I’d say around 8x a day bc the humidity is nowhere near where it should be. I never see him drinking so I also give him water by syringe at least 5x a day
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? He poops a good amount, maybe once every 3-4 days. The poops look good, darker brown and don’t have anything in them. He has been tested for parasites, the results came back negative.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. No, I don’t think so

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen, 16x16x 32 I think
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?he has zoomed lights, T5HO and 10.0 uvb
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I have a thermometer in his cage at all times, floor is around 72 and basking spot is around 85-90. Lowest overnight temp is around 69
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I also have a hygrometer in his cage at all times, levels are 30-50% during the day. If it gets lower, I give the cage a good mist and if it gets higher I leave it alone for the levels to drop
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Absolutely, an umbrella plant and a bromeliad at the moment I used to have a Pothos in there but decided to take it out bc I didn’t like the look of it, he didn’t eat any of it.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? No it isn’t really near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas. The height may be at around 5,5 feet above the ground
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? I’m in East Tennessee
Oh, gutloading, I always give the feeders fresh fruits and vegetables like apples, potatoes, or just some random scraps that my dad doesn’t use while cooking

Honestly to me he just looks horribly starved.
How much is he eating?
To boost humidity I would just start longer misting sessions, like 5+ minutes if you can.
The MBD will be what it is. If he can climb and eat and you stop the process he can have plenty of years in him.

Do you know how he got that thin? Has he been tested for parasites?
He eats as much as he wants, or until he climbs away from where the food is. I’m really not sure why he got so thin, he has been tested and the results came back negative. He always has food in his cage so he has food access

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
    He is a male veiled chameleon, I’m not sure of how long he has been in my care, maybe about 6 months and I wasn’t told his age.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?I try to handle him the least amount possible, but to feed him and give him water I have to sometimes. I’d say once a day maybe
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Right now I’ve mostly been feeding him BSFL and small dubias, he doesn’t want anything else
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I’m using zoomed calcium and multivitamin. I have a mix of multivitamin, calcium, and D3 that I made and use 2x a month and use only calcium 2x weekly
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?I mist him very often, I’d say around 8x a day bc the humidity is nowhere near where it should be. I never see him drinking so I also give him water by syringe at least 5x a day
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? He poops a good amount, maybe once every 3-4 days. The poops look good, darker brown and don’t have anything in them. He has been tested for parasites, the results came back negative.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. No, I don’t think so

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen, 16x16x 32 I think
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?he has zoomed lights, T5HO and 10.0 uvb
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I have a thermometer in his cage at all times, floor is around 72 and basking spot is around 85-90. Lowest overnight temp is around 69
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I also have a hygrometer in his cage at all times, levels are 30-50% during the day. If it gets lower, I give the cage a good mist and if it gets higher I leave it alone for the levels to drop
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Absolutely, an umbrella plant and a bromeliad at the moment I used to have a Pothos in there but decided to take it out bc I didn’t like the look of it, he didn’t eat any of it.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? No it isn’t really near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas. The height may be at around 5,5 feet above the ground
Oh yes one thing I didn’t mention, he cannot shoot his tongue and hasn’t been able to since I got him

Yes, I do have other reptiles and fish as well. My Leo with MBD has been sick since before I got him which was when I was in sixth grade so I’d say he’s had it for about four years now. He has the correct supplements, heat, and food so he gets better and he has made a drastic change from when I got him. I have 5 reptiles in total, 1 cham, and 4 Leos. Another one of my Leo’s has a sight problem bc of the previous owner having their heat source In lamps that also produced light. They had lights on 24/7 which caused the sight problem. My other Leo’s are completely healthy and active though with my female having an extremely thick tail that I am so proud of lol. The leo with MBD is coming up close to her tail size, and may actually be the same at this point. I will try to answer those questions though, as best as I can. Sorry for all of the Leo info, I love the little buggers to death and love talking about them :)
I had my two Leo's for over 19 years. I loved them too. (I had lots of other geckos too.)
What's the slight problem the other one of your Leo's has? How many females do you have?

I had my two Leo's for over 19 years. I loved them too. (I had lots of other geckos too.)
What's the slight problem the other one of your Leo's has? How many females do you have?
Yes, they are very loveable creatures aren’t they. He has a sight problem, Like eyesight lol. He can’t see food and you have to put food on his mouth for him to eat. I only have one female sadly. All the rest of them are males. I would love to have more females one day though 😊

Chameleon Info:
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Right now I’ve mostly been feeding him BSFL and small dubias, he doesn’t want anything else. I would add things like dandelion greens, kale, collards, sweet red pepper, squash, zucchini, etc. and small amount of Apple, pear, berries, melon, papaya, etc.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I’m using zoomed calcium and multivitamin. I have a mix of multivitamin, calcium, and D3 that I made and use 2x a month and use only calcium 2x weekly. Right now you can be dusting the insects at all feedings but the ones you use the vitamins and D3 on with a phos free calcium powder lightly. Do you give him liquid calcium too?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?I mist him very often, I’d say around 8x a day bc the humidity is nowhere near where it should be. I never see him drinking so I also give him water by syringe at least 5x a day Be careful that he doesn't aspirate it when you use the syringe ...make sure it's going into his mouth past the hole that is right at the front of his mouth. Also, don't spray water so it goes into his mouth or nose from the spray when you do spray.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? He poops a good amount, maybe once every 3-4 days. The poops look good, darker brown and don’t have anything in them. He has been tested for parasites, the results came back negative.are the urates white or orange or somewhat orange?

Cage Info:
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?he has zoomed lights, T5HO and 10.0 uvb No lights at night?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I have a thermometer in his cage at all times, floor is around 72 and basking spot is around 85-90. Lowest overnight temp is around 69 The basking temperature should be in the low to id 80's F.

Are you going to breed the Leo's?
I’ve thought lots about it, I most likely won’t in the near future. I would like to gain more knowledge and experience first. I also don’t have the funds either, spent all my money on animal supplies today, this is why I should never go into a pet store with my own money lmao. But I have read it shortens their lifespans a bit, and I would be a bit scared for my female like just in case she gets egg bound or something. Kind of a scary thought ya know

I kept one male and two females together all the time...and that's the group that lived longer than 19 years with me...and reproduced....so I don't think it hurts them if they are looked after properly.

Chameleon Info:
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Right now I’ve mostly been feeding him BSFL and small dubias, he doesn’t want anything else. I would add things like dandelion greens, kale, collards, sweet red pepper, squash, zucchini, etc. and small amount of Apple, pear, berries, melon, papaya, etc.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I’m using zoomed calcium and multivitamin. I have a mix of multivitamin, calcium, and D3 that I made and use 2x a month and use only calcium 2x weekly. Right now you can be dusting the insects at all feedings but the ones you use the vitamins and D3 on with a phos free calcium powder lightly. Do you give him liquid calcium too?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?I mist him very often, I’d say around 8x a day bc the humidity is nowhere near where it should be. I never see him drinking so I also give him water by syringe at least 5x a day Be careful that he doesn't aspirate it when you use the syringe ...make sure it's going into his mouth past the hole that is right at the front of his mouth. Also, don't spray water so it goes into his mouth or nose from the spray when you do spray.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? He poops a good amount, maybe once every 3-4 days. The poops look good, darker brown and don’t have anything in them. He has been tested for parasites, the results came back negative.are the urates white or orange or somewhat orange?

Cage Info:
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?he has zoomed lights, T5HO and 10.0 uvb No lights at night?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I have a thermometer in his cage at all times, floor is around 72 and basking spot is around 85-90. Lowest overnight temp is around 69 The basking temperature should be in the low to id 80's F.
Chameleon Info:
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I’m using zoomed calcium and multivitamin. I have a mix of multivitamin, calcium, and D3 that I made and use 2x a month and use only calcium 2x weekly. Right now you can be dusting the insects at all feedings but the ones you use the vitamins and D3 on with a phos free calcium powder lightly. Do you give him liquid calcium too? I have once but ran out and never got more, I do need some though
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?I mist him very often, I’d say around 8x a day bc the humidity is nowhere near where it should be. I never see him drinking so I also give him water by syringe at least 5x a day Be careful that he doesn't aspirate it when you use the syringe ...make sure it's going into his mouth past the hole that is right at the front of his mouth. Also, don't spray water so it goes into his mouth or nose from the spray when you do spray. Oh no, I don’t stick the syringe in his mouth, I put it at the tip of his mouth and when he realizes there is water there he starts to drink himself. I don’t think I would have the courage to put it into his mouth tbh.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? He poops a good amount, maybe once every 3-4 days. The poops look good, darker brown and don’t have anything in them. He has been tested for parasites, the results came back negative.are the urates white or orange or somewhat orange? They are white

Cage Info:
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?he has zoomed lights, T5HO and 10.0 uvb No lights at night? No, no lights at night
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I have a thermometer in his cage at all times, floor is around 72 and basking spot is around 85-90. Lowest overnight temp is around 69 The basking temperature should be in the low to id 80's F. Alrighty

I kept one male and two females together all the time...and that's the group that lived longer than 19 years with me...and reproduced....so I don't think it hurts them if they are looked after properly.
Oh that sounds like a good experience. I’ve read everywhere that it shortens their lifespans, I guess it varies case to case. And of corse the care. It’s nice to know that, thank you

You're welcome! Any questions you have I'll do my best to answer...and I'm sure you'll get lots of feedback from others on here too! This forum is a good place!

I read your reply to the husbandry questions in post #31.

You're welcome! Any questions you have I'll do my best to answer...and I'm sure you'll get lots of feedback from others on here too! This forum is a good place!

I read your reply to the husbandry questions in post #31.
Yes of corse, this forum always has such nice people who are willing to help.
Oh? What did you think?

Yes, of corse. He is a little underweight, but I am working to get him back on track.

The weight thing to me is significant. I have a male with no tongue that can only eat one insect per feeding day. He lives on the equivalent of about 5 to 6 large cricket a Week. He is barley 100g. This is thin, should be at least 120.
This is what he looks like:
IMG_1006 1.jpg

Being this is a very thin chameleon, this is what makes me wonder about his weight.
He looks to be much thinner. If he is eating at least 5 to 6 crickets I would not expect this thin.
Thus I feel something is going on with his weight.
Parasites are an obvious to look for.
Past that I have seen, at least in mammals, where weight loss occurs due to fighting an illness or internal infection of some sort.

Alrighty, now giving him more food and ended up getting crickets bc my dubias were nowhere near big enough and I thought it would be much easier to eat crickets. Turns out he likes crickets more and ate like 6-7 of them yesterday and the day before, he had about 3-4 today bc he didn’t want many. I’m dusting at every feeding and what’s funny is I literally think I can see his casque getting bigger every day it’s really cool tbh. I’ll post a photo I took of him after I fed him and gave him water. He is a bit dirty from the calcium, but I think that’s alright. Tell me if I’m wrong lol.

Attachments

• 583C1FA9-DD42-44E6-8F96-87CF40AF13FA.jpeg
    583C1FA9-DD42-44E6-8F96-87CF40AF13FA.jpeg
    216.6 KB · Views: 66
Back
Top Bottom