Good supplies?

noahc66

Here is a specific list of supplies that I plan on purchasing for the veiled cham I plan on getting, opinions are welcomed.

Housing:

Apogee 175 Gallon Reptarium

Lighting/Heating:

Zoo Med Reptisun Compact Fluorescent Lamp
Zoo Med ReptiCare Ceramic Infrared Heat Emitter 60 Watts
Zoo Med Deep Dome Lamp Fixture, Black
Zoo Med Deluxe Porcelain Clamp Lamp with 5.5-Inch Dome, Black
Zoo Med Laboratories SZMLT11 Repti Terrarium Timer

Plants/Climbing Stuff:
Fluker Labs Bend-A-Branch Pet Habitat Decor, Medium
Hibiscus
Other safe plants that I haven't picked yet
Branches

Food/Supplements:
HERPTIVITE Multivitamin (3.2 oz) Blue Bottle
Sticky Tongue Farms Calcium w/o Vit D
Sticky Tongue Farms Calcium w Vit D
Dubia Roaches from local pet store
Superworms from local pet store

Other:
Zoo Med Digital Thermometer
Fluker's Hygrometer
Bin(s) for for feeder insects
Zoo Med Under Tank Heat Mat for roach bin

how old is the cham? is it a boy or girl?

as for the compact lamp- please thoroughly read this
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm

It is a boy, and I do not know how old it is yet, but I will post a picture of him.

Also, I am getting the 5.0 Zoo Med compact light. Is there a different brand I should get instead, even though it isn't a 10.0?

00a0a_9ToiN9tG3Yq_600x450.jpg

Housing:

Apogee 175 Gallon Reptarium

This is pretty weaksauce and annoying to open and close. Check out DIY.com, they have some nicer enclosures for about the same price. Amazon also sells a Reptibreeze at a moderate price. Both are eons ahead of Apogee.

Lighting/Heating:

The forum consensus is using a regular fluorescent light fixture and UVB. I have a compact running in my smaller cage and its alright. There was a report that some compacts were faulty a while back, and people have not gotten over the fear of getting another faulty product.

Not needed, use a regular bulb instead, 50-100 watt, depending on enclosure distance.

Zoo Med Laboratories SZMLT11 Repti Terrarium Timer

Im going to save you money. This timer is junk! It broke on me before. Avoid analog, they are annoying. Get this instead: http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-timer-95205.html
A much better, much cheaper timer. It goes on sale for $5.99 from time to time.

Plants/Climbing Stuff:
Hibiscus
Other safe plants that I haven't picked yet
Branches

Get some good branches outside, they are much better than the fake ones you get from a store. Wash with water/soap and you are good to go. Get a Schefflera (Umbrella Plant), the single most favored plant among chameleon keepers.

Food/Supplements:

Careful with the superworms, too many can cause impaction. Begin a breeding project for your feeders. Its never to late to become an apprentice Entomologist.

Other:
Fluker's Hygrometer

Check this out buddy:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Read that from top to bottom and gain some exp.! Welcome to the forum, and I hope to see you contribute soon. Gimme some love and slap that balance scale at the top left of my post!

Thanks for warning me, how old would you say the cham is based on the picture?

around 6-7 months
but the only way to really know is by the hatch date, chameleons all grow at different rates so my guess is just based on the average age of a veiled that size, as well as the maturity of the casque

the compact bulb has had a bad reputation but the problem has been fixed. There hasn't been any significant findings past 2009 according to that link was posted. There are plenty of people on here that use the compact flash and have no problems. It is true, a lot of people are scared to use them in fear that it may cause problems. But I don't believe there has been any recent (within last 2-3 years) of problems expressed on here.

Skip the ReptiSun or ReptiGlow bulbs and straight to an amazing bulb. The Arcadia 6% in a T5-HO puts out better UVB and you only have to replace it 1 time a year instead of 2. Plus if you get the dual fixture from lightyourreptiles you can get a 6500 plant light which will help your live plants grow better.

Updated list

Housing:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PHABI8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2RRRBZIBW1CCT

Lighting/Heating:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006OQTZ4Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3KUYHN7HI5ZSF

Plants/Climbing Stuff:
Hibiscus
Umbrella Plant
Branches

Food/Supplements:

Other:
Fluker's Hygrometer

Why is the ceramic heater unnecessary, and how many superworms a week is safe?

Housing:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PHABI8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2RRRBZIBW1CCT

Lighting/Heating:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006OQTZ4Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3KUYHN7HI5ZSF

Plants/Climbing Stuff:
Hibiscus
Umbrella Plant
Branches

Food/Supplements:

Other:
Fluker's Hygrometer

Why is the ceramic heater unnecessary, and how many superworms a week is safe?

I feed mine around 3 a week. Just enough to have them digest one worm at a time. Its the chitin you see. The ceramic heater is usually not used. Chams use a third eye to sense heat and light. You can use a ceramic, but it needs to be placed so that the cham is tricked into thinking the light is heating it. Most wouldn't bother with a ceramic. Just use a cheaper regular bulb.

You crack me up sometimes. That's an old report kiddo. It has been sometime since the problem was fixed.

OP I agree with Bryant. The cham can be anywhere from 7-10 months. This depends on overall health, feeding, and the size of your hand, haha.[/

Kiddo?
Why use a mediocre bulb when it comes to your chams health?
Not only that but with a 175 reptarium you need a bigger light.. The mesh is very fine and the cage is very tall. That need to be taken into considertion. Not only that but you can get a better quality light and support a smaller business like light your reptiles ...

He looks to be right @ 6 months . looks the exact same size as mine (depending on differences in our hand sizes). just remember veiled grow among the fastest of chams. super high metabolism.

Kiddo?
Why use a mediocre bulb when it comes to your chams health?
Not only that but with a 175 reptarium you need a bigger light.. The mesh is very fine and the cage is very tall. That need to be taken into considertion. Not only that but you can get a better quality light and support a smaller business like light your reptiles ...

So you have changed your reasoning for not using a compact? Now, according to you, the bulb is mediocre...because why? I use the compacts on a small cage, read my original post. Don't be so hasty to comment. As to supporting smaller businesses... I couldn't care less. If its cheaper and made by a well known brand name, why would I spend extra money on another item made by a small business? Other places beat them on pricing, is it Conviction? That's just not my style. It doesn't matter where you get your gear. Just make sure its good quality. I look for the best products with the best value. I think most keepers can agree.

Regarding the CFL bulb: At one time there was a manufacturing problem with the ReptiSun CFL UVB bulbs so that they emitted unsafe levels of UVB and even UVC rays, which corresponded to health problems like eye problems and burns in reptiles. This manufacturing issue was identified and corrected by the manufacturer several years ago and thus we have not seen problems with it since then. The ReptiGlo CFL UVB bulbs were never associated with these harmful effects. The linear ReptiGlo or ReptiSun bulbs have never had any health problems associated with them either. Many very successful and experienced chameleon keepers have used CFL bulbs with great success and no problems.

Back
Top Bottom