Good luck with your animals in the cold this week

fluxlizard

Avid Member
Looks like global warming is finally getting us :D

Good luck with your animals this week everyone. Hope everyone has power and everything is OK for you all.

I cannot believe the forecast here- this will be the coldest I've ever seen it here by far. And we are kicking it off with an ice storm this morning. Lots of cars flipped on the side of the road around here.

We had the coldest winter here about 3 years ago that I can remember, and the cold won't even touch the weather this week. Hoping my lizard building performs well enough- it isn't the same as it was before the rebuild. Pipes froze going into the other day for the first time ever. Will leave the water trickling this week.

Probably going to loose some more bushes in the yard.

Wonder if this will be a few day thing or if it will be a trend for the rest of the winter...

I'll probably go dig up my box turtles and move them under the house...

Where do you live? I am so glad I live in Florida!! Truthfully, I don't think I would own chameleons if I did not live here.

Windchills here tuesday will reach -24 f ! Normally super cold here would be in the teens or single digits with windchill. I don't ever recall temps that low with windchill here. Flashbacks to time spent living in Iowa...

I'm with Carol, I'm glad I live as far south as possible! lol It's cloudy but it's 75F right now and I have all the Meller's outside.

But good luck to the animals and to you, as well! I have friends up North who seem like they're constantly out of power the last few weeks.

It's snowing like crazy over here. I'm ready for Spring. We have to keep shoveling the deck and grass so our maltipoo can go to the bathroom, lol.

All last week we had windchills of -36F to -44F. It wasn't bad.
LOL- my best friend growing up was from Saskatoon. His family wore sweaters everywhere the first few winters while the rest of us bundled up in coats and hats and stuff.

I'm in Michigan, right dab in the center of the big storm here. Supposed to get 6-10" of snow. 4-6" isn't that uncommon, but 10" down here is not common at all.

70-100% chance of snow, literally for 24 hours straight. Windchills Monday will be around -20 F

Then with typical Michigan weather, we are back up into the 20s/30s on Thurs/Friday Lol.

I have a generator waiting to be turned on in case anything happens!

I feel so bad for all of you guys and your chams in that cold. I wish you could all live in FL. It's 80 and sunny here. My guys are all outside enjoying it.

Flux I thought you lived west of Indianapolis? We're getting the same weather, -24F with snow. You want to open the highest faucet in the house/building. A trickle the size of pencil lead will work fine, and it costs about 20 cents a day to keep it like that. I'm a plumber and we'll be fixing frozen water lines all month. Lol

Leland

Flux I thought you lived west of Indianapolis? We're getting the same weather, -24F with snow. You want to open the highest faucet in the house/building. A trickle the size of pencil lead will work fine, and it costs about 20 cents a day to keep it like that. I'm a plumber and we'll be fixing frozen water lines all month. Lol

No- I live in southern virginia. I'm in the sticks sort of- water is free from my well, but costs electricity to pump it. I only have a temporary faucet set up in the building since the rebuild- haven't finished my plumbing yet. I'm downhill from the house where my water line comes from though.

Weather is good for your business then!

Sorry, had you confused with Ataraxia. Your water lines from the well probably aren't deep enough. You could replace them with Pex water lines and trench them deeper fairly easily. Pex wont rupture or break when it freezes, but your waterlines should be buried deep enough they wont freeze. They should be at least 36" deep in your area. Hillsides are always an area they don't get buried deep enough. A $200-$300 spent on replacing them would save thousands on water damage and headaches. We work on wells, and the pumps and expansion tanks all the time, if you ever need some plumbing help/advice just ask.

Leland

It's in the 60s and 70s on the so cal coastline. Must stink, I never knew temps got that far in the negatives in the us!

Back
Top Bottom