gonocephalus grandis / angle head lizard

Miss Lily

Chameleon Enthusiast
Does anyone keep these?

I went to the Exotic pet shop today to buy Amy's weekly supply of locusts and a rather handsome looking Angle Head Lizard caught my eye! He was beautiful! He looked like a Sailfin/Basilisk (like Brock's), but his belly was blue with yellow spots - a stunning looking lizard! :D

Buy It Lil !! (research but Buy it!!) What a stunning Species! :)

gonocephalus-grandis-lg.jpg

http://www.nature-escapes-kuala-lumpur.com/reptiles-of-the-rainforest.html

I'd never seen one before, but I was mesmerised by it! Sadly, I don't have room for the size of enclosure it needs:( - it's like a large water dragon. The price wasn't too bad either! Oh, if only I could win the Lotto, lol! I had one of those 'OMG! I MUST have it' moments! :D (I get them quite often - in fact, most weeks when I pick up Amy's food, lol!) My daughter had to drag me away!

Be my guest, sorry the format isnt that big. I lost a lot of my images when my old computer died thankfully i had a lot saved online

Thanks Karen! :) Looks pretty high res anyway, It will stretch I think!

Edit: Yep, looks great! Thanks Again! :)

I have kept Gonocephalus grandis, and had a few babies hatch. I have never had so many problems with a certain species before - from respiratory issues and mouth rot, to having to hand feed for over a year. Mine were WC though straight from Malaysia.

They are not too difficult, but of course you might run into the usual WC problems - parasites, stress, eggbinding, etc.

I got an adult pair about 2 years ago, the female is still around, the male died about 15 months after I got him - in my efforts to keep humidity up, a respiratory infection got the best of him. And now the female has a mild case of mouth rot.

They do best in high humidity BUT NEED GOOD VENTILATION, the babies are very difficult to keep alive also. I had to hand feed them for 3 months, and then only one made it to 6 months, and that one died of mouth rot. The high humidity is the toughest issue.

They seem to like room temperature, but will bask for short periods throughout the day, I gave them 85-90F basking spot.

The two adults initially did not eat on their own, and I have had to hand feed them both (and the female still) with tongs. Personally, I think they eat subterranean grubs in the wild - both the male and female would dig if they did not eat for a few days.

They're beautiful though, both the Gonocephalus and Acanthosaura genus are spectacular display animals.

If I had to compare them to keeping other reptiles, I'd say Emerald Tree Boas, Dart Frogs, and Quadricornis chams. They're a slim species though, so don't be worried that they look a little skinny - it's just how they are.

UVB 5.0 is also essential for this species, and I would also recommend d3 once or twice a month.

I noticed they prefer to sit in slow flowing water, and a water feature is beneficial. They poop in ONLY in the water it seems, so a removable tub or some efficient way to clean the water is highly recommended.

Gonochephalustank004.jpg

Gonochephalustank006.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies everyone! Sadly I don't have room for the large set up that this gorgeous lizard needs, but if I did I would certainly have put down a deposit on him. He did have that look in his beady eye though, like he'd either run like lightning or take a few fingers off, lol! I found him quite mesmerising - I could have spent a lot longer looking at him! I'll visit him again next week!

Brock - this one did have a small pond in his enclosure which he had pooped in!

I really should order my livefood online - I always find something to fall in love with whenever I go in the shop, lol! I spend ages just looking when I go in - they must get fed up with me, but at least I do buy something while I'm there!

Here's a link to their website if anyone is interested in checking them out! I got Lily from these people. http://www.livefoodsbypost.co.uk/

I have a male and female pair of Gonocephalus grandis. We only have had them for for 4 months.

We keep them outside in the patio because Florida has such humid weather. They are in a 5 foot tall cage we designed. It has a waterfall and a small pond at the bottom.

We have a 55 gal aquarium we planned on moving them to but have not yet.

The female is MEAN! SHe will attack you if you stick your hand in there. The male is getting a small case of nose rub. But other than that they are eating fine.

They seem to love all the rain we been getting.

You can see the male in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hxm16gCYUE

Cool video, Dez! Thanks for posting that. Such a gorgeous looking lizard! They do look like they'll take your hand off - no questions asked though, lol!:D

Back
Top Bottom