gonna get some two week old panthers soon.. any advice?

I use a 24`fixture with ReptiSun 5.0 across the back of the tub, no extra heat bulbs. I keep the branches quite low in the tub so that they are not able to reach the top of container from highest point. I believe the tubs I have are 65-70 quarts so quite deep.
My chams are also in their own room, so the heat from the other cages provides adequate ambient temps for babies.

Great advice panther, thats how I set up Homer at 3 weeks aswell, worked great!

Keep up the misting though, tiny lizards can dehydrate quickly. :)

Wish I had some pics of a ten gallon tank set up handy. But here some pictures of plastic bin set-ups to hopefully give you the visual.

First pic. shows gray bins used, next shows newly hatched veils inside bin, and last shows veils ready to separate and find new homes.

Last edited:
Wish I had some pics of a ten gallon tank set up handy. But here some pictures of plastic bin set-ups to hopefully give you the visual.

First pic. shows gray bins used, next shows newly hatched veils inside bin, and last shows veils ready to separate and find new homes.

Great pics! Exactly how mine look right down to the carrots for the crickets

very cool. thanks for the pix and extra bit of advice. if i can think of anything else i will definitely reach out to all of you. im still not sure if i should take the babies so young:confused::confused: maybe i can talk to the breeder and see if he will wait a little. but he seems greatly confident that his incubation style promises good sized, healthy youngsters. says he incubates at low temps for long time and babies come out almost two inches.

babys the size of 1 1/2" - 1 3/4" tip to tip, the sze you state are realy 3/4" - 5/8" snout to vent (minus the tail).
babys this size require a great deal of attention and are less forgiving of beginer misteakes.
I'm not saying you could not handle the chalange, but that it would be wise to start off with something alittle larger and less prone to problems.

just think, most breeders here wouldn't even think of letting us know that they have babys available untill they are 3 months old.
some even wait another month or two before they will ship, so they are larger and stronger.

I started off with my first cham at only 6 weeks old, 2" STV, 4" total.
I'm telling you right now that I'm glad I had some small reptile experiance because my Splat was ulta tiny when I got him and presented a few chalanges that beginers should not face...such as the need for small food.

a cham the size you state will require fruit fly cultures and ordering pinhed crickets (or a well established breeding of crickets) each week.
in other words, you'll need to be breeding 2 or 3 different bugs in order to provide such small food each day for your new little one...and think of all the wasted food that you will be throwing out because the food grows so fast (unless you have other reptiles that can use the food).

there are so many breeders here on this forum that would gladly sell you a nice cham at a more respectable size if you just contact them.
then you could just buy a baby cage and skip the whole tub/fish tank ordeal all together.
also remember that you need to set up the cage/tub first long before the cham is in your house so you can test out a few things and make sure it's home will be fine for him/her...doing this after you get the cham is way too late and you should not put yourself or the cham through that type of stress.

Harry

Back
Top Bottom