gonna get some two week old panthers soon.. any advice?

lucky

**i am new to this forum, just signed in today**
so i will be getting two baby ambilobe panthers soon(2wks old) from a breeder. i have a cage the lights, humidity and heat down. just curious if anyone could steer me in the right direction as far as feeding those lil guys goes. i never had such a young cham before. they are going to be in a 12x12x12 for a few weeks just so i can monitor feeding with a 5.0 reptiglo and heat emitter. when i know theyre eating well i will put them in a 16x16x30. they wont be together for long. just to grow out. i plan on giving one to my mom.
thanks for your input/advice.

Well. I would consider getting two mesh terrariums asap. Cause they will get stressed by eachother. How old are they?

You can feed them crickets, hornworms, silkworms etc etc :p just start by cupfeeding them by putting a cup into their housing with some feeders inside so they get to know it better and your hand etc. :)

Well. I would consider getting two mesh terrariums asap. Cause they will get stressed by eachother. How old are they?

You can feed them crickets, hornworms, silkworms etc etc :p just start by cupfeeding them by putting a cup into their housing with some feeders inside so they get to know it better and your hand etc. :)

Did you not read the first couple of sentence?

At 2 weeks old, you really don't need to be adding a heat source yet. Most breeders use larger rubbermaid style tubs to house babies in.
I know the babies I have right now are 3wks old and still in tubs.

I'm quite surprised actually that a breeder would sell them that early??

As for feed, go with 1-2wks old crickets depending on the chams size. What is the breeder currently feeding? He/She should be able to direct you as to the food they are consuming.

Personally, if you can, I'd hold off on taking them so soon. So many things can happen very quickly when it comes to babies. They are much more sensitive then the adults.

As for caging seperately, you should be ok for a little bit housing them together (depending on each cham) but 2-3 months is what I've been able to do with babies. The more aggressive feeders (which usually are growing quicker) get moved to another tub.

Haha im tired of a long day only sitting on chameleonforums trying to help . Give me some creds :)

If these are your first chams, I don't recommend you to get them that young. The mortality rate is too high. I would recommend you to get them at least 6 weeks old.

Fruit flies, maybe some pinheads. Houseflies are great too, but they probably won't be ready for that until 1-2 months.

You said you never had a cham this young before. So have you had chams before. I f not, I would agree most here that it may not be the best idea because they are really young.
By no means are we saying you are unable to care for them, but they do require more care and much more delicate than an adult cham.
If you decide to get them, we are here for you.
Babies this young will eat fruit flies and pinheads and can live in the 12X12x12 cage as you described or a tub would be excellent as well. If you use a screnned 12x12x12 cage, realize that the pinheads will be able to get through the the little holes in the screen.
Lance

thanks for all your input everyone. i was thinkin same thing tho as far as waiting for a while longer. since i am trading them for my jacksons. also... the tubs you keep talking about... any mor info on these... ii only plan on keeping them together untill they are about two to three months. giving one away. thanks again

oh... the 12x12x12 with only a 5.0 will be sufficient? no need for extra heat? they will be in my living room... 70-75 degrees... so under 5.0 im guessing around 79-80ish they will be at...

and these will not be my first chams. i have a veiled that i rescued he was emaciated but now very fat and happy. and i have two jacksons.

I agree and should probably still be in a tub at two weeks old.

:confused::confused::confused:

I raise neonates in cages right out of the egg. A 12x12x12 cage sounds perfect. Sound like a cool size too!

Also- Feed d.hydei and 1/8 inch crickets. To keep the tiny crickets from escaping in a screen cage, cut out the bottom of a deli cup and put some excelsior in there so they have something to climb on. I put the small crickets in a dixie cup, toss them in the fridge to cool them down, and I portion them out into the dishes to keep them from hopping everywhere. By the time they warm up, they dont jump because they arent being disturbed. The chams will gather around the "dish" and feast. Good luck.

Tubs

Something along these lines (without lid) and place in branches,vines, a small pothos works great too.

My appologies as well I meant pinheads to 1 week old crickets not 1-2 weeks.

Attachments

• tote.jpg
    tote.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 102
so you just use clamplamp with 5.0 in it and set it up and they cant climb out? how high should i place branches and plants. will they need heat in thes container?

Back
Top Bottom