Golden Pothos plants

VanessaRose

I just ordered some golden Pothos plants and was hoping to place them in my Cham cage to help with humidity. After purchasing them I’ve been seeing that they are toxic and that they are fine for chameleons so now I’m nervous and not sure if I should put them in the cage! Does anyone know for sure if they are safe or not for veileds?
Thank you!

I would imagine they would be safe (most pothos are) but if the internet says it's toxic I would avoid putting it in.
I’ve gotten mixed answers. Some say they’re great and chams do fine with them while others say they’re toxic! I just wanted some plants to keep humidity up.
Thank you

So most plants are considered toxic... With that being said there are 5 in particular that don't seem to be an issue with Veileds. I use two different varieties of Pothos with my veiled and he munches away on them with no issue. Pothos are my favorite because they grow really strong vines that can be utilized by your cham. You are good with the pothos, ficus, dwarf umbrella, hibiscus, and croton. Here is a link to the resource page https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/plants/

Just make sure that when you get the plants you wash the leaves really well and rinse them really well. Remove the dirt if you can to a bare root and re pot in organic soil. Then you are going to want to cover the top of the dirt with 1 inch river rock (nothing smaller then an inch). They sell this at most craft stores in little bags. The rocks will keep your veiled from eating the dirt as well as help keep out feeders if you free feed.

Pothos are toxic, but don't seem to cause problems for whatever reason. They are high in oxalates which may or may not cause problems down the road. Possibly like with people, some are sensitive to oxalates in greens, while others can eat them all the time without any issues. Overall, I wouldn't worry. I'm sure the plants they're naturally found on are much more toxic. It's just important to know what exactly the 'toxin' is, which could be anything from an irritant to deadly.

Pothos are toxic, but don't seem to cause problems for whatever reason. They are high in oxalates which may or may not cause problems down the road. Possibly like with people, some are sensitive to oxalates in greens, while others can eat them all the time without any issues. Overall, I wouldn't worry. I'm sure the plants they're naturally found on are much more toxic. It's just important to know what exactly the 'toxin' is, which could be anything from an irritant to deadly.
Thank you! I ordered it from a site that sells plants specifically for chams so I figured it would be okay. It was from joshsfrogs if you’ve ever heard of that website.

Back
Top Bottom