going to the vet today

VeiledOwner87

so this morning i am bringing my girlfriend's female veiled to the vet this morning. it has been a first chameleon, with a few things done wrong in gravid period. she has been gravid for months now, is still realy healthy but has not pushed eggs. we have had her on a calcium gluconate medicine for the last two weeks and are going for the oxitonin method. guys if you could keep Maui in your thoughts and prayers that would just be so appriciated :( we love this little girl, she is the sweetest girl ever. thanks guys

I am sorry to hear you have to put her through all this. I hope things go well. You will be in my thoughts.

thank you. apprieciate it! i just came home for a quick sec to feed everyone. Maui will be there for the most part of the day, she recieved her first oxytocin shot, and will be recieving another one at 12, and then 2 if needed. i realy hope this works, if it doesnt, which i have faith it will. it will result in surgery in which cases chameleons dont make it. :( but i have faith so i know it'll all work out

I am so sorry to hear that :( you are both in our thoughts and really hope everything goes well. My veiled Gizzy recently had surgery which took 4 hours as there were so many eggs and she is doing really well - it is amazing how resilient they are for such delicate little creatures. Try not to worry too much i`m sure your vet will take very good care of her hopefully meds will resolve the problem for her without need for any surgery. Good luck. :)

Sorry to hear you have to go through all this. :( I can't imagine if Walter had to go through surgery, or a tough medicine schedule. Good luck, and you both will be in my thoughts and wishes.:)

I'm so sorry to hear that someone else is going through the same thing - it truely is horrendous. Our little girl has been having oxytocin injections for the past few days as xray's showed she is packed full of eggs still after laying 27 already. She is going into surgery tomorrow to have them removed and some pesky follicles crushing her, followed by a hystorectomy also. We are absolutely petrified and i can imagine you are too. I'll be praying for her along with our little Dolly. It's so nice to hear someone else that loves their chameleon like we do - she's the third member of our family and our life revolves around her.

thank you all for your thoughts and wishes, this is a very unsettling feeling, and i can only imagine what all of you guys went through. 3 injects and nothing... yet, but faith will let them come.

I'm so sorry to hear that someone else is going through the same thing - it truely is horrendous. Our little girl has been having oxytocin injections for the past few days as xray's showed she is packed full of eggs still after laying 27 already. She is going into surgery tomorrow to have them removed and some pesky follicles crushing her, followed by a hystorectomy also. We are absolutely petrified and i can imagine you are too. I'll be praying for her along with our little Dolly. It's so nice to hear someone else that loves their chameleon like we do - she's the third member of our family and our life revolves around her.

Melina thanks for your thoughts and prayers, as we will be keeping your little girl to heart too. but worst comes to worst, if needed surgery, Maui wont be able to get that attention here. we have 2 vets that deal with reptiles, and chameleons, but have never done a surgery to one. the closest one recommended is 4 hours away, and i do not have ways of getting there. so just continue what your doing for us, as we will for you, and believe both the girls will come out and regain health again. cheers

I'm so sorry that you don't have a good herp vet near you - we are truely blessed to have one 30 minutes from where we live that looks after all the reptiles for a local zoo. Please keep me updated on Maui's progress - i'm thinking of you all :)

How do you know she has been gravid for months? Was she bred?
Have you had a place in the cage for her to dig since she became sexually mature?
Can you post some recent pictures of her please?

Oxytocin will usually only work within the normal time that she should have laid the eggs I think....so if she has been holding on to them for a long time it won't likely work.

Fingers crossed though...

BTW..I have heard of quite a few veileds in the last couple of years that have had reproductive surgery and done well.

^^^ Yup ^^^

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but oxytosin is probably not going to work here. It should really only be used within the normal laying period. If eggs have been retained for months, it probably is not going to work.

Is your cham acting sick or is she fine and happy with a distended belly? Is she digging or did she ever dig?

Without seeing your cham its hard to say, but surgery will likely be her best option. Chameleons do survive this surgery much of the time, but getting an experienced reptile surgeon goes a long way.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

^^^ Yup ^^^

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but oxytosin is probably not going to work here. It should really only be used within the normal laying period. If eggs have been retained for months, it probably is not going to work.

Is your cham acting sick or is she fine and happy with a distended belly? Is she digging or did she ever dig?

Without seeing your cham its hard to say, but surgery will likely be her best option. Chameleons do survive this surgery much of the time, but getting an experienced reptile surgeon goes a long way.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

she hasnt dug at all, theres been a flippin laying bin in her cage the whole time :( she is green, then can go dark, on and off.

Just checking up to see how Maui is doing? Dolly went in for surgery today and it seems her right ovary was producing abnormal follicles and eggs which was causing the problems and would have eventually killed her. The vet is pleased with how the surgery went but can't give me any guarantees about the recovery process which is long and arduous. Fingers crossed that see pulls through.

Just checking up to see how Maui is doing? Dolly went in for surgery today and it seems her right ovary was producing abnormal follicles and eggs which was causing the problems and would have eventually killed her. The vet is pleased with how the surgery went but can't give me any guarantees about the recovery process which is long and arduous. Fingers crossed that see pulls through.

Maui is doing fine (by appearance), no eggs were layed with 3 injections of oxytocin. i brought her back in this morning, but the vet refused to give more injections, seeing as he does not want to risk it, so we contacted a vets discussion board located in california and asked them to clarify somethings, and some self knowledge that i have about gestation, etc. i will be talking to him tomorrow. it sucks. he does reptiles, but chameleons are somewhat uncommon to have around here, or should i say uncommon to vets. most people just tend their own. guuuhh. i am keeping maui here at my place for the next few days, in a somewhat bigger caging. will be giving her plenty of drinking water, and frequent hot mist downs. i may even give her a couple showers. and will be feeding her just maybe up to 3-4 crickets. once with vitamins, and giving her her daily liquid calcium gluconate. were trying to get her calciums up as possible (without harm) to store that into the hardiness of eggs, and then perhaps allow her to push them out.

glad to hear Dolly's surgery went great. shes been in my thoughts and prayers, and will continue to be in them. i sence she is a trooper and will recover so successfully! thank you for all your thoughts and checking up. youre awsome!:cool:

Glad things are ticking along ok. Yeah our vet refused to give over 2 injections per 3 days or so as that seems to be the maximum dose for that time period. i know that keeping them well hydrated is crucial to prevent the eggs from attaching to the oviduct and becoming 'egg bound'. Our vet suggested a hydration chamber which you can make yourself with a mister etc - it really works to keep their hydration up. I was wondering if Maui has something similar to Dolly in that it is developing follicles that are the problem as she is making no attempt to lay. Have they done an xray? That should tell you more.

My fiance and I are thinking of Maui - her and Dolly are little partners in the fight against eggs!

Which vet

I'm so sorry that you don't have a good herp vet near you - we are truely blessed to have one 30 minutes from where we live that looks after all the reptiles for a local zoo. Please keep me updated on Maui's progress - i'm thinking of you all :)

hi melina im gemma and also live in cornwall just enquiring which vet you use ?
thanks

Back
Top Bottom