Going stick hunting

Michaelk20

This weekend i'm going to go for a walk to look for some more decor for Sheldons house and my leopard gecko viv.

Few quick questions that i need a definitive answer on:

1. Should i de-bark

2. Wash/bleach/sanitise then rinse

3. Dry naturally or bake?

4. Scrub?

Cheers!

nightanole

Chameleon Enthusiast
My stick hunting:

Dont get sticks laying on ground, get them off live/dead trees or sticks off of fallen trees that are sticking up. Sticks laying on ground will have massive amounts of pill bugs, slugs, and all the other composters.

I dont debark

I dont bleach

I soak in a VERY salty water solution over night

I normally rinse with the salt water

I away bake afterwards if i can

The salt naturally comes off with a few misting.

Its just me, but im paranoid i wont be able to rinse off all the bleach and it get into the water supply, and i have frogs too so i stick with my salt scrub.

sandrachameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
white vinegar is another safe cleanser. So is boiling water

I choose Arbutus if possible, so that there is no rough bark to hide fungus or creepy-crawlies.

Michaelk20

Ok cool, so for the cham home I'll be leaving the saltyness on there as itll come off with mistings like you said, but for the leopard geckos who wont be misted should i just rinse with clean normal water then bake?

How long and what temperature should i bake? I've read 100C for an hour? elsewhere ive read different

Michaelk20

Ok, i take it thats Farenheit as you're in US so roughly 180C.

Is there any wood i should stay away from other than that left on the floor? Any type of wood i mean.

Cheers for the help so far!

juice28

PINE lol stay away from pine!...(just my opinion though) but its really sappy...i got a piece of pine and it was a pain in the...yea! i fired it in the oven and had to bbq on the grill for a week and a half until i could get that smell and taste out of anything i cooked not to mention the sap just bubbled out of the wood and dripped on the bottom of the oven...total pain to clean and it was off a dead tree...guess it wasnt that dead yet lol...maple trees are kinda sappy too when fairly freshly cut/broken... dead dried out tree branches...(correct me if im wrong pro's) just about anything that is already dead and fairly dried out should be fine..

Michaelk20

lol glad i could be of assistance lol ;)
Lol there is one pine forest round here and another just normal everyday tree forest and i was going to hit both in a day, i'll leave the pine one now.

Technically you've saved my legs too haha!

Top Bottom