Going overboard.

Since you are putting so much time and effort into this beautiful enclosure, I strongly recommend that you check out Tamura Designs on Facebook. Take note of how he creates the branch highways and byways. Try to follow his example.

I've seen SO MANY people put heart and soul into constructing a custom enclosure and it certainly looks beautiful, BUT so often the branch orientation and placement simply does not do the custom enclosure justice or show reverence for the actual chameleon because poor placement, inadequate size and shape branches and underutilization of the habitable space results in a finished product that both lacks good aesthetic and works poorly for in functionality.

Take your time with branch selection and placement! You will thank yourself if you do. And remember, too much is no good.

I'm attaching a picture of my last build and how I created a "tree" inside the enclosure. I hope it helps. It's not nearly as good as Tamura Designs but it is so much better than the alternative......

Attachments

• IMG_20191222_192945.jpg
    IMG_20191222_192945.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 115
Been a long process with shaping things just how I wanted and dry times. But, this thing look amazing!!!
A couple notes: I did use flex seal on the spray foam in order to attach the coco fiber. I slathered it on pretty thick, but it is holding up rather well, I’d say! I’ve never done this before, so it’s all new to me.
I am getting ready to disinfect these branches and was wanting to know what kind of soap would be best? Or, I had thought about using white vinegar. Let me know your thoughts.

Oh my gosh, this looks amazing! You should write out all your steps because this is beautiful. I can't wait to see it with plants and everything in it.

@Sammy Grigio I was just getting an idea of placement. There will be about 10” of soil in that bin so everything will be a little higher. These are all branches I found fallen off of an old oak. Do you think there is too much, or I should simplify it a bit??

Here is another picture. I added the soil to the bin and repositioned the branches, along with adding several bendable “branches” I had from my previous chameleon. I’m so ready to add some plants to this thing!!

Attachments

• 04CD8A1D-B8E2-4257-B979-77E4BA697DBD.jpeg
    04CD8A1D-B8E2-4257-B979-77E4BA697DBD.jpeg
    494.4 KB · Views: 89
Still haven’t been able to find a long enough branch to fit all the way across the cage. But, I found out the ivy inbought wasn’t good for chameleons, so I switched it out with a petunia. Adds some color and will grow like crazy! (Hopefully) also added part of a golden Pothos at the bottom. In hopes it trails up the branches. Still looking for something cool for the top right corner. Open to suggestions!

Attachments

• 87B421FA-D005-4D63-AE5A-A8C16DCF3A52.jpeg
    87B421FA-D005-4D63-AE5A-A8C16DCF3A52.jpeg
    523 KB · Views: 86
Also, my little guy came the other day! He’s a panther chameleon, YWBB. I’m so excited to watch him grow!

Attachments

• 588A2D5E-BB96-4470-82CB-CCD72484DC02.jpeg
    588A2D5E-BB96-4470-82CB-CCD72484DC02.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 106
  • B91D17CA-536D-4118-976D-6A0436B313E3.jpeg
    B91D17CA-536D-4118-976D-6A0436B313E3.jpeg
    312.6 KB · Views: 70
That’s what I want. Just can’t seem to find one right now. ??‍♂️

Also, I am looking for some more branches, just haven’t found “the one” yet. Haha

That sucks. I want to buy a new cage and start getting it setup for my babies, but im noticing EVERYTHING is gone online. Lol. Thank goodness home depot is open...but even that is practically bare of plants since everyone is home with no hobby.

Back
Top Bottom