Going on the ground

Sky11

I'm not sure if this is normal, but my chameleon is pretty young and I'm not sure if it's because I just trimmed down his favorite umbrella tree yesterday so he's exploring now, but he's been spending a lot of time near the bottom of his enclosure and it was worrying me. Then he went back up an hour or 2 before bed, but then today after he was hanging out near the bottom for a couple hours he literally was sitting on the ground like just standing there with all four of his feet on the floor and his tail wrapped around a stick. After like 10 minutes he made his way up to his basking spot. I've heard it could mean he's sick but he acts normal otherwise like I haven't noticed him doing anything differently other than that these past couple days. He eats everyday and has plenty of opportunities to get water throughout the day.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - I have a male Nosy Faly Panther Chameleon that is about 5 months old. His name is Jasper. I’ve had him for about 2 months
  • Handling - I would like to try and tame him, but as of now he does not allow me to handle him.
  • Feeding - I feed him everyday about 8-12 bugs. I usually feed him dubia roaches, crickets and fly larvae as staple foods and once in awhile I’ll get him hornworms or wax worms as a treat. Gutload with sweet potatoes, carrots, collard greens, kale or mangos usually. I put them in a feeder cup that they can climb on.
  • Supplements - I use calcium without D3 Tuesday-Sunday and then add some bee pollen on Wednesdays and Fridays. Then I’ll do calcium with D3 on Monday and the next Monday I’ll switch to a multivitamin.
  • Watering - I have a MistKing that goes off for 4 minutes before lights on at 8:30am. Then it goes off again for 4 minutes after lights off at 8:30pm. Then it goes off for 2 minutes at 12:30am and 1 minute at 4:30am. I also have a big dripper that drips onto leaves of a pothos
  • Fecal Description - He has regular poops with white and sometimes a tiny hint of orange urates.
  • History - I got him from a breeder on December 9th

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - I have a Zenhabitats 2x2x4 pvc hybrid cage with a screen at the bottom and a screen top, everything else is made of pvc.
  • Lighting - I am using the vivarium electronics T5 HO fixture with an Arcadia 6% UVB T5 HO. A 75w basking bulb in a zilla black reflector dome lamp. I’m also using the bio dude glow and grow 6” LED for my plants. I have my lights set up to a timer to turn on at 8:30am and turn off at 8:30pm. I also put 2 blocks of wood under the UVB and basking lamp to raise them off the top of the enclosure a bit.
  • Temperature - The cage floor is at 70 degrees F for the most part, the ambient temperature is usually around 75-80 degrees and the basking spot is about 80-85 degrees. At night it goes between about 63 degrees is the lowest and 70 degrees is the high. I measure my temperatures using a digital thermometer. One at the basking spot and another in the middle for ambient temps.
  • Humidity - My humidity levels during the day stay between 50%-60%. At night it’s about 60%-95%. I create and maintain these levels by using my mist king, having a dripper and using live plants in my enclosure. I use a digital hygrometer to measure humidity. One at the basking spot and another in the middle for ambient humidity.
  • Plants - I use pothos, croton Petra Mojave, Umbrella tree and one other tree I forgot the name of but I made sure it was safe before I bought it.
  • Placement - I put my cage in my room. I have a ceiling fan that I turn on during the day that helps with ventilation and cools down his basking spot a few degrees if it’s too hot.. The top of my cage is only about 2 feet under my ceiling so it’s pretty far off the ground. I have the enclosure on a table so it’s not sitting on the floor.
  • Location - I live in Minnesota

I'm not sure if this is normal, but my chameleon is pretty young and I'm not sure if it's because I just trimmed down his favorite umbrella tree yesterday so he's exploring now, but he's been spending a lot of time near the bottom of his enclosure and it was worrying me. Then he went back up an hour or 2 before bed, but then today after he was hanging out near the bottom for a couple hours he literally was sitting on the ground like just standing there with all four of his feet on the floor and his tail wrapped around a stick. After like 10 minutes he made his way up to his basking spot. I've heard it could mean he's sick but he acts normal otherwise like I haven't noticed him doing anything differently other than that these past couple days. He eats everyday and has plenty of opportunities to get water throughout the day.
Are you sure your cham is a male?
Can you post some pics of the enclosure and the chameleon?

Are you sure your cham is a male?
Can you post some pics of the enclosure and the chameleon?
I’m pretty sure he’s a male. He’s still pretty scared of me so it’s hard for me to get good pics of him. Hope these help.

Attachments

• D7498ABD-A618-41BE-9232-9ECED0F0DC67.jpeg
    D7498ABD-A618-41BE-9232-9ECED0F0DC67.jpeg
    228.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 8F935914-3196-4975-9FA2-1EAB536B308D.jpeg
    8F935914-3196-4975-9FA2-1EAB536B308D.jpeg
    210.3 KB · Views: 94
  • 18773304-B98A-4678-986F-98B62D3B0A81.jpeg
    18773304-B98A-4678-986F-98B62D3B0A81.jpeg
    222.8 KB · Views: 83
  • AF2C5F74-F3F2-4C4E-91C8-00992004A061.jpeg
    AF2C5F74-F3F2-4C4E-91C8-00992004A061.jpeg