Gnats

Jocccellynnn

Established Member
I’ve cleaned my lay bin and remade the soil sand mixture over 3 times now because it keeps getting infested with gnats. Is this okay? They’re small and I honestly don’t care they’re in their hit it concerns me cuz she’s going to be laying in it. Any advice? Lol

Yupp nemotodes are my go to, god send and have gotten me out of some REALLY rough summer months where they thrive. Carnivorus plants such as pitchchers, sundews, and butterworts are all great natural fly traps but you can just buy sticky pads for the adults just be sure you put it NOWHERE near your cham!😱Im aslo about to get one of those katchys, that should also help combat the bastards!

🍻🍻🍻

Nematodes as others said. The kind you want are steinernema feltiae. Also predatory mites stratiolaelaps scimitus. Neither will harm eggs.

The nematodes are phenomenal but a dual approach is going to be most effective as the predatory mites are more mobile and will eat a wider variety of small insect eggs (will not touch cham eggs). If you use nematodes make sure to mix them in a distilled water or a dechlorinated water source, avoid RO as it can be corrosive and damage nematodes. Water them by hand as most standard hose nozzles and pump nozzle will typically eviscerate the nematodes.

Get a sticky trap up and try to grab a few to look at under low magnification if you can. Proper identification is important. All fungus gnats will have a U/Y shape in the veins at the top of wing as shown in photo

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210119-225536.png
    Screenshot_20210119-225536.png
    295.5 KB · Views: 46
I forgot the mention the best place to get small amounts of these at a reasonable price is going to be Arbico Organics. You will likely still have more than you need for one cage especially one lay bin but if you have other house plants/ cages/ a friend with plants you can use the rest in those. The best IPM is plans are proactive not reactive. Feel free to hit me up with any questions

Oh one more thing. Try putting a slice of potato in your bin and at the soil layer of any of you potted plants for like a day. If the gnats aren't going away they are laying somewhere. Larva chill in the first couple inches of moist soil/loam etc. The potato slice should attract any larva allowing you to locate where breeding is happening. constantly moist cham environments are literally heaven for gnats so theyll like always be one or two here or there.

A few more general pieces on info before I stop blowing up your post 😂

To get rid of gnats or any pest the key is to break the breeding cycle. For example gnats develop from egg to adult in about 3 weeks. So you can dose nematodes 3 times each seven days apart.

Yupp nemotodes are my go to, god send and have gotten me out of some REALLY rough summer months where they thrive. Carnivorus plants such as pitchchers, sundews, and butterworts are all great natural fly traps but you can just buy sticky pads for the adults just be sure you put it NOWHERE near your cham!😱Im aslo about to get one of those katchys, that should also help combat the bastards!

🍻🍻🍻
Any luck with the katchy ... We used one at work and I was skeptical

Back
Top Bottom