Glass vs Screen

Javier697

I know screen environments are better in just about every way, but I was wondering if a glass would be ok for a couple weeks until the screen I ordered gets here. I have a 150 gallon that I used for an iguana I used to own. Its about 4 and a half feet tall, 6 feet long, and 2 feet wide. I do have some of the fake environment paper on the sides and the back to cut down on the reflections as much as possible. My question is will it be ok to have my cham in there for a while.

~off topic~
Are gracefuls true chams?
and I'm also going to include a picture of my Cham, I'm having issues determining sex.

001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg
004.jpg
005.jpg

Sorry for the color! Very moody cham haha

It looks like a female to me :) I have a male and he has a spur on the back of his foot just like a Veiled.

yes, as long as you have ventilation on the top. That is big tank! There are members who house their chams in glass with success, especially if you live in a very cold and dry climate. The glass tanks are better for holding the humidity. Most of us prefer the screen over glass. It can be done and alteast you have a very large one that will give it space to move around. Very cool cham by the way!!! I don't want to comment on the sex cause I am not sure!!! It doesn't look like it has too much of a bulge though for a male.

yeah that would be fine. I mean you could house her(I am guessing) in there all the time really. The size is good. I just hate seeing people putting chameleons in little tanks that are so size inappropriate. Most of just like the screen for the ventilation aspect of it. Where do you live?

I think you might just like to keep it in that glass enclosure, if you can handle the water drainage. Put heat lamps to one side, and that should take care of most of your ventilation requirements. If possible to have a few holes drilled (use the right drill bit!!!) in the lower third of the glass on both ends, it could be perfect.

Thank you to everyone that has given information!

Anymore input on the sex, or gracefuls being true chameleons or not is very much appreciated.

Go to Radioshack and for like 10 bucks you can buy a small fan just like the ones that are in your computer and use it to help ventilate. Thats what I did and it gets the job done

Go to Radioshack and for like 10 bucks you can buy a small fan just like the ones that are in your computer and use it to help ventilate. Thats what I did and it gets the job done

Computer fans are great for this type of application. We use them on our cricket bins :)

Hi there!

About the screen and glass cages. I have to use glass because our country has very dry winters. Glass is fine but you will need good ventilation. Mine have double ventilation and a computer fan on top, which runs about an hour total. Half an hour during daytime and half an hour at night time. I also have good ventilation in my reptile room ;-). Currently I house my F. verrucosus in screen, cause they like it a bit more dry then my other chams. He will be housed in a large glass terrarium in a few weeks.
I use my screen enclosures for our summers. Then I move my chams outside. Our summers are hot and humid!

I've decided to just keep him in the glass tank. I drilled a few holes around the lower part of it to help with the ventilation and I got two fans from radio shack as well.

Any other input on the sex?

as for sex, I'll gues boy for now. don't worry, it will eather "flash you" or leave some presents for you to clean up if it is a male. other wise, it will get fat and start roaming the bottom of the cage if it's a female. you will know soon enough.

one more thing...do you see the "location" listed to the right of my name just under tmy join date and above how many posts I hve done? edit your "details" under user CP to add your location. thisway in the future we can help you better when it comes to humidity or temp questions. I wish more newbies would start doing so...we have no idea where you live unless you tell us, and we need to know to give a well informed reply.

Harry

my new panther is 5 months old and i named him javier to !!!!!!!!! i am in the same exact boat with the glass tk . i live in jerzey and it gets cold . im gonna ride out the winter and then go screen. mine is doin great i put a tiny fan on top of the screen top facein down on super low speed to move the air around .

Back
Top Bottom