Glass vs. Mesh Cages

k8shm8

Hey guys!
I have been doing research on enclosures for my chameleon. I want to switch to a larger, bioactive vivarium. Most things I have read say that chameleons do best in screen/mesh cages due to better ventilation which reduces upper resp. infections as well as bacterial infections. But at the same time, glass cages tend to be better for keeping humidity. I was debating on getting a half screen and half glass enclosure. What do you guys recommend and why? Please note, I live in Pennsylvania and it gets very cold/drafty in the winter here so it is hard to maintain good humidity and temp. Feel free to link websites to products/cages you like below.

Also, my chameleon is a male panther chameleon, 6 months old.

That was one of the elements I struggled to maintain. I live in Chicago, so similar problem. I just setup a bioactive setup. Humidity is now pretty stable around 50% with regular misting and this is in a mesh enclosure. I have a Vailed and he is thriving.

Edit to add I have the Reptibreeze Deluxe XL. It's a good cage, but the LED lights are useless. The glass front is very nice.

That was one of the elements I struggled to maintain. I live in Chicago, so similar problem. I just setup a bioactive setup. Humidity is now pretty stable around 50% with regular misting and this is in a mesh enclosure. I have a Vailed and he is thriving.

Edit to add I have the Reptibreeze Deluxe XL. It's a good cage, but the LED lights are useless. The glass front is very nice.
any pictures ???

I just finished this bioactive screen viv for my 6mo male Nosy Be. The fact that your going bioactive means it will automatically stay more humid than a standard viv. Bioactive screen is the way to go. Also if your still having trouble keeping humidity up in a screen viv you can easily put a piece of plexiglass over one or two sides, can’t do that with a glass viv...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/bioactive-mentor.167174/#post-1451562
E2D07750-AD5B-4867-9586-2DC73D0747B0.jpeg

Reactions: iMi
Back
Top Bottom