Glass Terrariums

chammythechammy

I know this is a normally a huge debate/discussion whatever. But what are your thoughts/experiences with keeping a veiled chameleon in a glass terrarium? I’ve always used the long and tall screened cages, but recently switched over to a glass terrarium. My cham seems to be fine with it, she free roams one of my indoor plants everyday so she gets all the climbing that’s she desires besides at bedtime.

any experience/tips on this?

As long as there is still air flow and its not just a stagnant fish tank-like scenario, then many keepers have had success using glass terrariums, assuming you are closely monitoring all your gauges

It's fine just husbrandry changes. Your basking light, will need to be lower wattage now, or dimmed most likely. Glass holds heat much better.

Misting will be much less, Glass holds humidity and water much better.

As long as it's decent size (what size is it?) Then it's fine, you just have to change your husbrandry to that of Glass.

I've been thinking and researching glass terrariums. Mind posting pics or yours? I've seen the Exoterra 36x18x36 for $299 new on ebay and is within driving range for me, so I also save on shipping. But I've probably going to go with a Dragon Strand clearside when the time comes.

I've been thinking and researching glass terrariums. Mind posting pics or yours? I've seen the Exoterra 36x18x36 for $299 new on ebay and is within driving range for me, so I also save on shipping. But I've probably going to go with a Dragon Strand clearside when the time comes.

299.99 no shipping is a steal! Get that.

Or you Josh's frogs has shows by you, they sell them at shows for 200.

Sorry but a Glass is far far superior to a Clearside, 1 million times. It's heavy that's a con, and the only one. It's much more rigid, you can mount stuff too it, and if you are not paying shipping it's 100 dollars less, that's a no brainer to me.

If you want to move your Viv around all the time, glass is less ideal, but who really does that? Go Exoterra and Go Bioactive and thank me later :).

299.99 no shipping is a steal! Get that.

Or you Josh's frogs has shows by you, they sell them at shows for 200.

Sorry but a Glass is far far superior to a Clearside, 1 million times. It's heavy that's a con, and the only one. It's much more rigid, you can mount stuff too it, and if you are not paying shipping it's 100 dollars less, that's a no brainer to me.

If you want to move your Viv around all the time, glass is less ideal, but who really does that? Go Exoterra and Go Bioactive and thank me later :).
LOL, I was just looking at that. Only about a 90 minute drive on the turnpike for that Carlisle show.

I have the ExoTerra 36 X 18 X 36. I love it.
F6056EAD-0AE6-4757-BA00-207D5CDD252A.jpeg

You will also receive a 15% discount from Josh's Frogs if you use the code REPTILIANGARDEN at checkout. But it doesn't look like he sells the 36x18x36? Give them a call.

Last edited:
I have the ExoTerra 36 X 18 X 36. I love it. View attachment 240159

Ya see that backing and stuff. You can't do that with Clearside.

I always like this. I seen one on YouTube, where dude had 3 Vivs (smaller ones though) side by side, and he had a huge piece of cork bark, going across all 3 of them, he lined them up perfectly so it looked like they were all 1. It was amazing.

If placed high enough, the 24x18x36 would likely also work.

It's only 4 inches not as wide as the Dragonstrand Atrium, and it's 6 inches taller. Should be fine. Then you could put 3 in 6ft wall space. The 36x18x36 is bigger than the Small Atrium.

Bill addressed this with you in another thread last week. It is not an apples to apples comparison.

What context does that have at all to my statement? Your right it's not Apples to Apples, Glass is better. I even stated why lol, and why not.

It's okay, Tony has made his descion, and my statement is applicable to the thread, and is my opinion. It won't be the last time I will say it, if someone is asking for advice which to choose mine will be glass. Which is what Tony did.

It's fine just husbrandry changes. Your basking light, will need to be lower wattage now, or dimmed most likely. Glass holds heat much better.

Misting will be much less, Glass holds humidity and water much better.

As long as it's decent size (what size is it?) Then it's fine, you just have to change your husbrandry to that of Glass.

Glass is great, but is better suited for dry climates, as its insulating properties depend largely on the amount of humidity (in/out). I have 2 veiled chameleons in a glass vivarium with 8-10" of substrate and LOTS of plants. The fogger is set to 75% in time with the heat/lights. The key to getting glass to work is being able to control the humidity.

Glass is great, but is better suited for dry climates, as its insulating properties depend largely on the amount of humidity (in/out). I have 2 veiled chameleons in a glass vivarium with 8-10" of substrate and LOTS of plants. The fogger is set to 75% in time with the heat/lights. The key to getting glass to work is being able to control the humidity.

That's why glass is preferable, it's easier to control Tempatures and Humidity.

If you live in Florida, put that cage outside and you are Golden. However Drier Climates is almost everyone's home situation.

If you have an AC, that is a dehumidifier, if you have a Heater that is a dehumidifier. Your humidity in your house, unless you humidify your house, your humidity is likely lower than what the Cham would like, especially at night.

You can control the humidity in glass very very easy. You cannot do that on Screen.

In screen to control humidity, all you can do is keep raising with plants, more water, more fogging etc, short of Humidifing the room (not effiencient and will cause problems with your home).

With glass, humidity is raised much easier with much less water and a fogger if you even need one. If you need much higher humidity you can decrease venting easily.

If it is too humid, then more ventilation is the answer, it's not as easy, as covering venting. However with Fans, or drilling out Vent Holes in the front is certainly possible. Fans are also a dehumidifier as is the rapid air movement.

This is why I prefer glass, it's hard to create an atmosphere in a room that isn't the same, in screen. In glass you have the ability to finely control the climate of the "Room within a Room".

This doesn't just apply to glass, but any enclosed space, such as DIY wood cages, Dragonstrand Breeders and Clearsides, ect.

@chammythechammy Dragon Strand is releasing some cages in a vivarium configuration if that is interesting to you. Different sizing, less weight, less heat retention, a little more ventilation, drainage and misting solutions included on some models when compared to a glass cage.

@chammythechammy Dragon Strand is releasing some cages in a vivarium configuration if that is interesting to you. Different sizing, less weight, less heat retention, a little more ventilation, drainage and misting solutions included on some models when compared to a glass cage.

Okay but see once again, the full story is not be presented here. These "Pros" are really not Pros.

Different Sizing: To what? Protean cages make Custom Glass Vivs and the majority of them, are Baker's Rack Sizing, Just like DS.

Less Wieght: Ya okay, this is a Pro, if you move your cage often. I don't understand why you would, but whatever.

Less Heat Rentention: Whattt? In what world is this a pro? It's not lol. So it's better to use a 50w bulb for heat than a 25w? Okay???

More Ventilation: Yes, that is nice, especially as it's easier to block than to take away.

More drainage / misting solutions: Well this is 2 fold. For one you should not be misting in glass that much that you need Drainage. A false bottom is all you need. My DIY Viv has a drain, and it never gets used. There simply isn't enough water going in to drain any. And that's with 6 nozzles 1 min in the morning, 3 in the afternoon and 1 at night. Not enough water to drain, it keeps my soil moist that's it.

2 if you really want that a Glass shop can put a hole in an Exoterra cheap. And Protean offers both drain and misting holes as an add on. Exoterra uses the same misting mountain, the wedges or some DIY fun.

For that we then have Cons, compared to glass. (Why does no one seem to want to talk about these??)

The walls are not as strong or rigid as glass.

If they are PVC they are not see through if you want that, if they are Clearside they do not take much to bust, let your kid smack it with a broom and bye bye wall panels.

The biggest con to me. Is background, and Sideground. One of the biggest benefits of having a Glass Viv IMO is making it natural. Silicon doesn't stick to PVC very well, so how do you attach the panels. You can't attach them to clear side at all.

I know bill shows the foam, covered in Cocofiber. Ya that's great for dart frogs, that's not where Chams live. Cham cages IMO should have Cork Bark wall panels, on 3 walls. This increases humidity, gives a mounting surface for branches and a place for ephitytes to mount to, and if the Cham wishes, they can climb it. It's bark, just like they would climb in the wild.

I'm not down with pots inside of cages, definitely pots on walls (at least use cork rounds) it's not natural. If you want a Naturalistic cage, do it right IMO.

Mostly their is just similarities, and every single "Pro" of DS aside from weight is covered by Protean. The only driving factor, is the look you like best, and the cost, unless you want natural walls, you might be able to pull it off with a DS, but a Glass is easier.

Back
Top Bottom