Glass tanks

Inky

Established Member
Hey everyone , me and my cousin got into a debate about glass tanks and he thinks that using them is not a good idea for a chameleon at all. i said other wise and said that there has been success with glass tanks before , what are your guys thoughts on this ?

thanks !
- Calvin

Glass vs screen is the never ending debate.

Glass can work fine if you change husbandry accordingly and if it has proper ventilation (screen top and ventilation from the front or side(s).

Screen has the pro of good ventilation but will also lose humidity faster.

Do research, decide what's best to use in your environment and make sure you adjust your husbandry.

Glass vs screen is the never ending debate.

Glass can work fine if you change husbandry accordingly and if it has proper ventilation (screen top and ventilation from the front or side(s).

Screen has the pro of good ventilation but will also lose humidity faster.

Do research, decide what's best to use in your environment and make sure you adjust your husbandry.
Agreed. We recommend cages/screen, then need to close off 2 or three sides! But then again, screen is often less expensive.

I prefer screen because of the cheaper cost and bigger sizes and because I can keep the humidity in a good range without having to put plastic over the screen. But I don't think people who keep their animals in glass cages are wrong for doing it.

Chris wrote a good article about keeping chameleons in glass cages!
Glass aquariums can work too...but you need to really know what you're doing. I wouldn't recommend them for anyone.
When I first started keeping chameleons almost 30 years ago, when Chris was about 5, mine were kept in aquariums. It was all that was available then. Then I switched to screen and had an awful time with that...hard to keep the heat and humidity in. Then I switched to glass cages with screen lids and doors....still had trouble so I switched to exo Terra's. They worked well....so I've used them ever since.

Both screen and glass have advantages and disadvantages. You have to decide what you think is the best for your chameleon in the situation you live in.

As long as you aren't talking about glass aquariums, they both have good points. You just have to adjust them as needed.

CORRECT. One should be sure to that there clarification between all glass aquariums and a properly designed terrarium that allows for proper airflow.

• Aquariums would very difficult to manage IMO. I would not suggest that route at all.
  • Screen enclosures - tend to have heat/ humidity issues (keeping heat and humidity)
  • Glass terrarium - tend to hold heat and humidity (this can be bad!!)
I have an Exo-Terra terrarium. Temps are a piece of cake. Humidity however is tough. I can mist in the morning around 7 am and the humidly goes to 85%. It will STAY there for a very long time, in fact by noon, it will still read 72% or so. (with a room humidity of about 65%)

I had to resort to installing a fan to have even more air flow. With the fan, I go from 85% to around 65% in a few hours.
In case your curious, here is the fan I installed: (its a 5VDC fan. Very quiet and 3 speeds.)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MWH4FL4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

CORRECT. One should be sure to that there clarification between all glass aquariums and a properly designed terrarium that allows for proper airflow.

• Aquariums would very difficult to manage IMO. I would not suggest that route at all.
  • Screen enclosures - tend to have heat/ humidity issues (keeping heat and humidity)
  • Glass terrarium - tend to hold heat and humidity (this can be bad!!)
I have an Exo-Terra terrarium. Temps are a piece of cake. Humidity however is tough. I can mist in the morning around 7 am and the humidly goes to 85%. It will STAY there for a very long time, in fact by noon, it will still read 72% or so. (with a room humidity of about 65%)

I had to resort to installing a fan to have even more air flow. With the fan, I go from 85% to around 65% in a few hours.
In case your curious, here is the fan I installed: (its a 5VDC fan. Very quiet and 3 speeds.)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MWH4FL4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hi! I know this post is over two years old but was wondering where you placed your fan. I also have an Exo-Terra terrarium and am trying to get better air circulation.

Hi! I know this post is over two years old but was wondering where you placed your fan. I also have an Exo-Terra terrarium and am trying to get better air circulation.
Typically people put these on top of their enclosure blowing out toward the ceiling. So it is pulling the air up through the enclosure. keeping it away from any misting nozzles you have...

Hey everyone , me and my cousin got into a debate about glass tanks and he thinks that using them is not a good idea for a chameleon at all. i said other wise and said that there has been success with glass tanks before , what are your guys thoughts on this ?

thanks !
- Calvin
You talking about an aquarium or a glass ExoTerra?

Back
Top Bottom