gland infection?

iyd1a

2E7B2663-B19E-4347-84B2-5BF62C777DB6.jpeg
89FF5E96-EE17-4A83-9852-7D60D2FF8E1B.jpeg

Female Jackson's chameleon
Two years old
Dehydrated but were working on it

Is this an infection? ill take her to the vet if it is. She is hard to take care of, and is more resilient than my other chams.

• Your Chameleon - Female jacksons chameleon, about two yesrs old and has been in mt care for two months
  • Handling - rarely
  • Feeding - I Feed my cham dubia roaches, horn worms, crickets, and rarely meal worms. I feed her 4-5 or until she wont eat anymore. About every other day, or every 2 days, but lately she hasnt been taking much. I gut load them with carrots
  • Supplements - I rarely dust, ive used reptivite vitamins once with her and repti calcium without d3 about 2 times.
  • Watering - I use a water drip method because its the absolute only way i can get her to drink unless i spray it into her mouth, and i spray a fake plant in her enclosure a little bit every day
  • Fecal Description - Last time she peed it only had a little brown, but her hydration has dropped until she drank a ton a few minutes ago
  • History - she had babies a year ago and got bred again 9 months ago but still hasn't had babies, she looks big and i suspect them but it might not happen

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - screen cage, 18x18x36
  • Lighting - T8 5.0 on from 8am-9pm
  • Temperature - using a heat gun i check daily and the temps range from 80-85 during rhe day and about 74 at night
  • Humidity - 60% humidity on the low, i have a gauge in there
  • Plants - fake plants
  • Placement - cage is located in the corner, on a table and by a vent but the vent has a cover that blows the air the opposite way
  • Location - Ohio

Yes, that is a temporal gland infection. She needs antibiotics ASAP. The only thing that I know to do while you wait to get into the vet is to rinse with dilute (should look like weak tea) betadine or iodine solution (without letting her drink it) and apply Manuka or pasteurized honey even the kind in the bear will help.

• Your Chameleon - Female jacksons chameleon, about two yesrs old and has been in mt care for two months
  • Handling - rarely
  • Feeding - I Feed my cham dubia roaches, horn worms, crickets, and rarely meal worms. I feed her 4-5 or until she wont eat anymore. About every other day, or every 2 days, but lately she hasnt been taking much. I gut load them with carrots Carrots alone is not a good gutloading regime. I’ll post links below.
  • Supplements - I rarely dust, ive used reptivite vitamins once with her and repti calcium without d3 about 2 times.@JacksJill has a spot on sup schedule for jax. I like earthpro A at every feeding. But see the Chameleon Academy or Kaizen Chameleons for reliable sup routines.
  • Watering - I use a water drip method because its the absolute only way i can get her to drink unless i spray it into her mouth, and i spray a fake plant in her enclosure a little bit every dayThis is an area that could use some improvement. I like to aim for 100% humidity at night by using misters and/or foggers and daytime drippers. There is a lot to unpack here, so I’ll just say this aspect of your care admits of lots of improvement.
  • Fecal Description - Last time she peed it only had a little brown, but her hydration has dropped until she drank a ton a few minutes ago
  • History - she had babies a year ago and got bred again 9 months ago but still hasn't had babies, she looks big and i suspect them but it might not happenregardless of being bred again, expect babies. Tilbury notes that females can choose to withhold birth until conditions are favourable—up to 12 months. But be prepared.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - screen cage, 18x18x36
  • Lighting - T8 5.0 on from 8am-9pmThis is probably not sufficient lighting. Without a solar meter, it’s difficult to know, but many suggest that uvi levels of 3-6 are what jax require. @beman will have some great advice on distance and bulb selection, but T8s are likely not going to cut it, long term.
  • Temperature - using a heat gun i check daily and the temps range from 80-85 during rhe day and about 74 at nightAgain, I would recommend hearing from @JacksJill here, but all those temps are high. My jax see daytime temps of 75 with no basking and nightime temps of 50. Maximum nightime temps should be around 60.
  • Humidity - 60% humidity on the low, i have a gauge in there I shoot for nightime humidity near 100%, and daytime as low as 40%.
  • Plants - fake plants Consider changing this—it’ll help with regulating humidity.
  • Placement - cage is located in the corner, on a table and by a vent but the vent has a cover that blows the air the opposite way
  • Location -

bahahaha that was a really bad response on my part, i was thibking of a different animal i have. I have the T5 5.0, and the temps are at 80 MAYBE 81 on the HIGHEST, but that would only be if she sat right under it, was thinking about 80-85 because of my frog. I was just using the average, as i usually spray about 4 times a day, but only on the fake plant, and the water from the dripper usually splashes around, along with the humidity being about 80-90, but she gets stressed out from the water so i dont wake her up at night spraying. My room is humid in general. Since that corner of the room may be cold, the temps may get to 60, ill check tonight. I dont use just carrots, im just in a big hurry. I feed them sweet potatoes too, and greens every once in a while. Im fully ready for babies and i know how long it may take, but im not getting my hopes up too far is what im saying. Sorry for bad grammar, english isnt my best and im in a rush.

So just to circle back around here, my gut tells me a vet visit wouldn’t hurt. I think prudence is the better part of chalour, and all that. If it was worth bringing up here, it’s worth a vet visit.

I see what @Kaizen is saying. if you compare this to the other side of her jaw and there is any difference in size then a vet visit is warranted. If both sides are identical then you may have time to observe. Sometimes they shed the glandular material and it can show redness.
I have a male that has multiple temporal gland infections and when I see any swelling or persistent redness I get him back on antibiotics pronto. Once they have had one they seem to be more prone to re-occurrence.
The safe bet would be to get an appointment because it may take a while to get in and cancel 24 hours in advance if nothing develops.

I see what @Kaizen is saying. if you compare this to the other side of her jaw and there is any difference in size then a vet visit is warranted. If both sides are identical then you may have time to observe. Sometimes they shed the glandular material and it can show redness.
I have a male that has multiple temporal gland infections and when I see any swelling or persistent redness I get him back on antibiotics pronto. Once they have had one they seem to be more prone to re-occurrence.
The safe bet would be to get an appointment because it may take a while to get in and cancel 24 hours in advance if nothing develops.
I concur with this 100%

So just to circle back around here, my gut tells me a vet visit wouldn’t hurt. I think prudence is the better part of chalour, and all that. If it was worth bringing up here, it’s worth a vet visit.
Yeh and she hasnt been acting the best, i might as well

Back
Top Bottom