Giving roaches too much room?

Progrmor

Im getting 100 Blatta laterallis today and got a pretty big tub ready for them. But im consurned that i may be too big since they are so small? Can it be an advantage to have them in a smaller enclosure?

Big tub is fine, however keep the live space (egg cartons or paper towel rolls) so that its tight fit. I would start with 45 degree angle paper towel rolls. It will keep the humidity up and the roaches love to touch other roaches.

Do this will hissers and you will have a war on your hands though:eek:
I loved watching hissers do head butt fights to see who was king of the mountain.

Big tub is fine, however keep the live space (egg cartons or paper towel rolls) so that its tight fit. I would start with 45 degree angle paper towel rolls. It will keep the humidity up and the roaches love to touch other roaches.

Do this will hissers and you will have a war on your hands though:eek:
I loved watching hissers do head butt fights to see who was king of the mountain.

So Im aiming on not have any free space, but make sure that the whole floor is covered with paper towel rolls etc? I might go for not building on height and more on the width then?

Another question about the eggs they lay. Im planning on take them out and put in a small container filled with a thin layer of dirt in the bottom for humidity and put the lid on and apply the eggs in there and put over som heat. Will this work?

:)

I used paper towels because it was cleaner when I removed them. Eventually I stopped doing that though because it's a huge pain in the butt! Like said above, these roaches really like to be in close contact, so make sure they can do that in the hides/egg flats.

I used paper towels because it was cleaner when I removed them. Eventually I stopped doing that though because it's a huge pain in the butt! Like said above, these roaches really like to be in close contact, so make sure they can do that in the hides/egg flats.

So you just leave the eggs in the tub? :)

Oh sorry. Didn´t catch that correctly. I think im going to use egg flates and stack them among the ground instead of among the walls, they will then probably be able to snuggle alot :rolleyes: But still, how to do with the eggs´?

One other thing, most people align the egg crates vertically rather than stacking so that all the poop falls to the floor instead of piling up in the egg crates.

Lateralis eggs will hatch without extra care. They can remain in with the adults if you like and they will hatch. Lateralis that got loose in my lizard building laid eggs on shelves behind boxes, etc in my storage/hibernation room and they hatched no problem there too LOL.

I really dislike this species. On top of being a recognised pest species, this species has particularly nasty poop- it is like glue and soon coats the cardboard tubes and egg flats...

The idea of someone actually carefully removing the egg casings and incubating them kind of cracks me up. Not laughing at you personally- it is just similar to the way I'd feel if someone was carefully incubating german cockroach egg casings.

Be careful- this is a known pest species that can survive quite well- mine survived not only in my lizard building and enjoyed the cold room and thrived there quite well, but also outdoors- in our coldest ever winter in many years I flipped over some boards in my yard when snow had been on the ground for a month and many nights in the teens and single digits F (-10 C?). There beneath the boards were lateralis crawling around...

There are a lot of videos on Youtube on how to set up roach bins. You might want to check it out. I have lateralis as well as dubias and I don't do anything special with either when it comes to the babies. I just looked into the lateralis tub and there are egg cases all over the place, did not see any babies though but I have only had them for a couple months. With everything I am hearing about them I am not sure if I am going to keep them:eek:

Back
Top Bottom