Giant spiny chameleon

Ariealb

I just recieved a female giant spiny Cham she’s around 2 years old I was told. Recently she has been changing to a white color she will eat and drink and she’s moving around acting normal but just not a color she should be I guess ? Maybe nothing is wrong and I’m being paranoid just curious if something is going on..
662276C8-31B3-4592-8F58-F92F90783E3F.jpeg
here she is normal
C6A61AB6-B982-44E1-9B9A-A3039B078E1D.jpeg

Here she is now...

Is she showing this coloration all the time or just when she's reacting to something? An overall pale coloration in addition to gaping could be overheating. I know males tend to show higher contrast white when they are displaying. It's possible she's showing receptive or gravid coloration. I haven't kept female F. verrucosus so don't know.

Is she showing this coloration all the time or just when she's reacting to something? An overall pale coloration in addition to gaping could be overheating. I know males tend to show higher contrast white when they are displaying. It's possible she's showing receptive or gravid coloration. I haven't kept female F. verrucosus so don't know.
Every time I check on her she is this color so it seems she’s this color all the time now if I move the heat she will always try to sit right under it and continue to be that white color it’s so weird maybe she’s overheated but I would think she wouldn’t want to be near the heat if that was the case ? Lol I have no idea ! I have a thermostat in her cage to control the temps as well.

Every time I check on her she is this color so it seems she’s this color all the time now if I move the heat she will always try to sit right under it and continue to be that white color it’s so weird maybe she’s overheated but I would think she wouldn’t want to be near the heat if that was the case ? Lol I have no idea ! I have a thermostat in her cage to control the temps as well.
Color changes with chameleons are misunderstood for the most part. They don’t actually blend in with their surroundings. They not all the same either. You think that a veiled would be bright green when he’s happy and warm. Not always. When my chameleon is warm and happy in his house he is a drab brown mostly. When he wants to go play in the ficus or crawl on the couch he turns bright green with darkened stripes, likely due to the temperature gradient change. When he sees my dogs he leans to the side and instantly gets dark brown spots all over and black stripes around his eyes and veil. Not saying that this is the norm but gives a picture of an individual animal. Things like stress, internal health, fear, comfort, and temperature is the patterns to pay attention to.

Also, I’m not 100% on this because my lack of solid research but for the most part females colors are less prevalent than males in general for chameleon species.

Well today I checked on her again she was back to her normal color and hanging out around the bin I put in there for her to lay eggs. I’m assuming that’s the reason for the weird behavior .

Just watch her behavior. If she IS overheated she'll stop basking as much and she'll gape. Chams bask to warm up their internal organs, not their skin, but generally once they get close to "operating temp" they start gaping and move farther from the heat. She may get a bit dehydrated if she's overheated much of the time. If there is a big temp gradient in and out of the heat and your room is cool, she may spend more of her time in the warmest spot. Make sure she has choices in how close to get to the heat. You might want to give her branches that are a little farther from the heat just in case.

Just watch her behavior. If she IS overheated she'll stop basking as much and she'll gape. Chams bask to warm up their internal organs, not their skin, but generally once they get close to "operating temp" they start gaping and move farther from the heat. She may get a bit dehydrated if she's overheated much of the time. If there is a big temp gradient in and out of the heat and your room is cool, she may spend more of her time in the warmest spot. Make sure she has choices in how close to get to the heat. You might want to give her branches that are a little farther from the heat just in case.
She’s has a ton of room her cage is really big and she has a lot of different places to go close to the heat far from it. Everything you just said is what she’s been doing though I’ve been feeding her more hornworms and she seems to be doing a lot better my only issue now is she constantly has her right eye closed and I’ve noticed she will make it bulge out. there’s nothing in her eye or coming out of it lol I’m having issues with her !

She’s has a ton of room her cage is really big and she has a lot of different places to go close to the heat far from it. Everything you just said is what she’s been doing though I’ve been feeding her more hornworms and she seems to be doing a lot better my only issue now is she constantly has her right eye closed and I’ve noticed she will make it bulge out. there’s nothing in her eye or coming out of it lol I’m having issues with her !

What is the humidity level in her cage? If she's a little dehydrated she may be having trouble with irritated eyes. Do you hand mist her often? If her eyes feel scratchy she may keep rubbing them or closing them. Bulging and moving her eye under the lid is a sign it's irritating her or she's trying to clean it. In your first photo her casque looks a bit concave (it should look fuller) and her eyes a little sunken.

I have automatic misters and I mist her myself a couple times a day she also has the drippers the first picture I posted is right when I got her (from backwater reptiles) so I’m sure she was a little dehydrated the humidity is between 60-80% . She basically has her own room in my house haha. She’s doing really well now I have a thermostat in her cage to control the heat I had it set at 80 and the basking spot was a little over 100 so I turned it down, ever Since I did that her eye hasnt seemed irritated and she’s a normal color.

Back
Top Bottom