Giant Cockroaches--- On the loose!

Laragail

A bunch of my giant Madagascan hissing cockroaches escaped due to an enclosure "malfunction"

I keep finding them everywhere.... and I think they are starting to freak my grandma out.

any ideas on how to catch them?

man that really sucks..............Im guessing youll have free cockroaches for quite some time and thats why I dont buy anything like that.

By the way..........if you know where you keep finding them you can mix up baking soda and powdered sugar on a plate and leave it in that area. All the roaches that eat it will end up dead.

The powdered sugar attracts them and then when they eat the baking soda or lick if off their legs it reacts with the internal chemicals and makes them pop.

roaches dont fart.

haha giant exploding cockroaches....

these things are big man, I bet that would leave huge blobs of roach goo....

I just might have to try that.

Dave Weldon swears by sticky traps near heat sources. That's his solution to catching loose crickets, but one would assume it would have the same effect on roaches.

do the sticky traps have poison in them?

I'd use them for bugs, but otherwise I hate them.... its so sad to see little mice stuck to them still alive. They used to use them in a sub shop where I worked and I had to quit because I to this day I still can't get that image out of my head...

Howdy,

(Back in town again...)

Yep, my sticky traps don't have poison as far as I know. Very effective in snagging crickets and other insects that happen by. I know what you mean about sticky traps and mice. Although I don't have any rodents running around the house, I'd have trouble looking at a mouse stuck to one of those traps :(.

I found a sticky trap once that just had a chewed off rat leg stuck to it. Just proves that rats are true survivors.

A bunch of my giant Madagascan hissing cockroaches escaped...any ideas on how to catch them?

I had a single one escape (I'd gotten used to having non-climbers that i did not secure the lid on this one. It came along in an order of discoids) and I knew it was a female - was it gravid? was I going to have zillions?? OK, then I calmed down and thought maybe I'd run into it in the middle of the night looking for food (both of us! lol!). Then, about 4 months later (no exaggeration) one of my cats was pawing at something at the corner of the bookcase the roach was living and as I got closer (figuring it was a mouse and wanted to get it) I heard "hisssssssssssssssssssssss":eek: I was shocked! I have no idea what it lived on (maybe escaped crickets??) but it had stayed in that exact area for all those months. Unlike crickets they are not travelers. Since then I have had an occasional OH or discoid get loose and I place a slice of orange (seems to be a favorite) in a box or egg carton, turn it on its side and rest it up against the piece of furniture it was last seen running under. I have always retrieved the critter - usually just tucked in the box the next morning.

Since you have many escapees you may have to set up several of these "traps" but they will likely remain in the room you had them in. You can also check at night with a flashlight and, if you see or hear any, place some fruit in a box or two and make a roach motel. Same idea as the furniture thing, but instead take a smallish box (like the USPS small priority boxes) cut some "doorways" and place it open end down with the fruit inside. Once they find food it is unlikely they will leave that area.

Also a good idea to keep the door shut to that room. I hope your grandma loves you a whole lot!!!:D;)

Back
Top Bottom