Getting some sunshine

chloe924

Hello
I live in the UK so summers are brief and my chameleon hasn't been able to get much natural sunshine. I do try ,but he hates it. Understandable I guess if you're faced with big open sky if all you're used to is ceiling, but I would love to get him out more this summer!

Last year I tried just taking him out and holding him, putting him in an outdoor hedge, a separate outdoor cage I fully planted and even covered half the roof with a jacket. Everytime he has been almost catatonic when I bring him back in. Staring at the ceiling like something will attack and it makes me feel so bad I don't try again.

Has anyone had a similar experiance? Any hints to get him used to the outside or do I just have to be mean until he gets used to it? Or otherwise accept he's an indoor lizard at this point.
Thanks

odds are he is scared of getting eaten by a bird. If you put a lid over him, the sun will still hit him if its at a low angle. My beardy does the same thing, I call it "stealth mode", he gets as low as he can and just shimmies along the ground.

Sorry I'm terrible at remembering to reply! Thanks for the advicebut I've decided not to take him outside. I live by the coast in the UK so there are loads of massive seagulls everywhere. Even in a cage with the top covered he's terrified and it's not worth it unfortunately. Thanks again though!

Back
Top Bottom