Getting Ready for first cham.

wiu

Hey recently joined this forum as i'm hoping to get my first chameleon, a vieled/yemen chameleon, i've done various amounts of research into the equipment and various other items i will need, and these are the things i have purchased so far:

Zoomed Basking Bulb 100Watt - for basking bulb.
Zoomed Repti calcium without D3
Zoomed Repti Calcium with D3
Zoomed Reptivite Multivitamin
Habistat Dimming thermostat
Arcadia Clamp lamp (for Basking Bulb)
Arcadia Pro vivarium Canopy 24W T5 - With D3 lighting Tube (12% UV)
Zoomed ReptiBreeze XL - 24" x 24" x 48"
Zoomed Dripper
Will also get a pressurized Mister, that i will mist daily to aid humidity.
Have two Digital Thermometers, one for basking, one for the bottom end of the tank/middle, to get ambient, also need to purchase a hygrometer.

Also have various Exo terra vines, real vines (Dried out), planning to put in some live plants to aid humidity such as types of Ficus, also looking at some Dracaena.

Currently thinking what sort of drainage tray i could add onto the bottom, as the cage will be going on one of my chest of drawers which span the length of my room, i may need to convert the top drawer into a water tray, not sure yet, anyway if everything i have so far is right, any feedback would greatly be appreciated, hopefully the research i have done has lead me to buy the right equipment!, we'l see. Thanks!

Welcome to the forums. It's so nice to seeing someone doing their research BEFORE they get a chameleon. What kind of Cham are you planning to get or did I miss that in your post?

It does say at the top, but then again i did write alot! haha, a vieled/yemen chameleon :)

Bravo, it looks like you have done an excellent job of researching the equipment you need. For the basking bulb, you don't need to buy a bulb sold for pets. Most people just use household bulbs. Also, 100watts is a bit high, but you have the thermostat which should do a fine job of regulating the basking temp. On my 2x2x4, I use a 75w household bulb for a basking spot around 90 for my panther. Make sure you suspend the basking bulb above the screen though. As for misting, once a day won't cut it, 2-3 is the minimum. I would definitely suggest you pick up an aquazamp for this, I can't live without mine. As for decor, I prefer all real foliage and vines, Ficus is a great choice for your main plant. I also use real vines for climbing. Other than that, great job!

Thanks.

Thanks for your advice very helpful! :)
would misting 2-3 times a day as stated be enough, also with a Zoomed Dripper, how often would this need to be on?

Welcome to the forums. It's so nice to seeing someone doing their research BEFORE they get a chameleon. What kind of Cham are you planning to get or did I miss that in your post?

Really wish I had found this site before getting my baby! The pamphlets at the pet store and the youtube videos I watched didn't really steer me in the right direction!
I am trying to figure out the drainage thing too...

When I ran a dripper before I had my aquazamp, I had a big dripper, and I ran all day when the lights were on. Also, see my dripper mod, it makes the zoo med drippers work much better. To find it, just google "zoo med dripper mod".

:).

Thanks i will definetly check out the dripper mod, also just looked at that thread you posted, drainage set up looks really well done, i will certainly try it out if can, my cham is going to be situated ontop of my drawers, so below it would be drawers with clothes in, so just trying to figure out what type of drainage set up to use or where it will go.

Back
Top Bottom