Getting my first chameleon

looks great but the soil wash it all off and use organic. Why??? cause the crickets will eat parts of the soil and that will poison the crickets when your veiled eats them. I wouldn't suggest a veiled for a first timer when they get to a certain size they will start to become aggresive when trying to take them out and putting them back in. but just make sure you ask the place were your getting him all your necessary questions. but don't forget wash the soil off and use organic as a replacement!!! good luck!!!

Will the UVB bulb also help with plant growth?

Not much, a lot of people on here use a 2nd full spectrum light (such as a 6500k florescent "day light") you can get them at lowes/hardware store. It also helps for visual esthetics as the uvb and basking light don't really put off enough light to light a fully panted cage. A sunny window also helps (both for plant growth and visuals) just watch your temps if it's near a window (my jacksons actually using the window to bask more than the basking light)

looks great but the soil wash it all off and use organic. Why??? cause the crickets will eat parts of the soil and that will poison the crickets when your veiled eats them. I wouldn't suggest a veiled for a first timer when they get to a certain size they will start to become aggresive when trying to take them out and putting them back in. but just make sure you ask the place were your getting him all your necessary questions. but don't forget wash the soil off and use organic as a replacement!!! good luck!!!

I replanted both plants into organic soil but before I did I washed it first before I re-potted the plants.

I thought a veiled was the best chameleon to get for a first time chameleon owner or am I wrong.

What other kinds of chameleons would be better for a first time owner if not the veiled?

Thanks

I replanted both plants into organic soil but before I did I washed it first before I re-potted the plants.

I thought a veiled was the best chameleon to get for a first time chameleon owner or am I wrong.

What other kinds of chameleons would be better for a first time owner if not the veiled?

Thanks

veiled are pretty hardy (for a chameleon) and normally tolerate mistakes better (wider temp range ect), it does seem they tend to be meaner (tho members have real sweethearts I hear).

I think next to them as far as beginner keeper would be panther, they are not quite as tolerant, but tend to have better attitudes (tho some are still mean I hear)

those to are offten CB (captive born) which IMO you should get (rather than wild caught). make sure who ever you buy from says they are CB ( I would go with a breeder or site sponsor rather than a petstore)

veiled are pretty hardy (for a chameleon) and normally tolerate mistakes better (wider temp range ect), it does seem they tend to be meaner (tho members have real sweethearts I hear).

I think next to them as far as beginner keeper would be panther, they are not quite as tolerant, but tend to have better attitudes (tho some are still mean I hear)

those to are offten CB (captive born) which IMO you should get (rather than wild caught). make sure who ever you buy from says they are CB ( I would go with a breeder or site sponsor rather than a petstore)

Well I'm thinking of getting my chameleon from FL Chams. Because the only pet stores around here are petco and petsmart.

I think FL Chams is a great place for you to buy your first cham, I got my little Ambanja girl from them. You are taking great steps to ensure overall good husbandry for your chameleon. If you keep reading and taking suggestions of the knowledgeable forum members and act quickly to correct and troubles you should be able to keep any of the general "starter" chams alive and happy for a long time.

My only suggestion would be the addition of a plant bulb for your live plants. It has helped to keep the plants in my cage growing well and I believe that the added color spectrum range benefits my chameleon as well.

i would like to say that i love when people do their research on forums and google etc. before they acctually buy a chameleon. so kudos to you!

Back
Top Bottom