Getting my enclosure ready.. Feed back please

Marisol

I'm attaching some pictures and I'd appreciate some constructive criticism and any improvement or changes I can do. For the outer shell I used a ReptiMed 18x18x36. I covered the three side panels with 1/4in cardboard foam and covered it up with some GreatStuff Foam. I did add two wall pots so I can add more plants. The current plants in the pots are Pothos and Polka Dot. I covered the foam with some silicone and added some coco fiber on the back wall panel. The lights that I'm using are an Arcadia Jungle Dawn LED bar, Arcadia ProT5 UVB 6% Bulb With Hood, and the heat bulb is a 60W Exo Terra Daylight Heat bulb. I did add a lamp mount so the heat dome doesn't rest on the screen. It's not 100% finished since I still need to add the misting system. I've been misting and watering by hand until I get that in. I'm testing out different misting time and how it changes humidity and temp. As of now the max temp I've been getting from 8in from the top screen (basking branch) is 86F. The ambient temp in the middle of the enclosure ranges from 71F-83F. At night the temp has dipped to minimun 70F. A problem that I seem to be having is keeping humidity levels up above 30% by 2pm and then around 1am it goes down to 28%. Any suggestion on how to keep humidity level up and do you think i should have a bigger temp dip at night?
20210119_173902.jpg
20210119_173913.jpg
20210119_174008.jpg
20210119_174013.jpg

I'm attaching some pictures and I'd appreciate some constructive criticism and any improvement or changes I can do. For the outer shell I used a ReptiMed 18x18x36. I covered the three side panels with 1/4in cardboard foam and covered it up with some GreatStuff Foam. I did add two wall pots so I can add more plants. The current plants in the pots are Pothos and Polka Dot. I covered the foam with some silicone and added some coco fiber on the back wall panel. The lights that I'm using are an Arcadia Jungle Dawn LED bar, Arcadia ProT5 UVB 6% Bulb With Hood, and the heat bulb is a 60W Exo Terra Daylight Heat bulb. I did add a lamp mount so the heat dome doesn't rest on the screen. It's not 100% finished since I still need to add the misting system. I've been misting and watering by hand until I get that in. I'm testing out different misting time and how it changes humidity and temp. As of now the max temp I've been getting from 8in from the top screen (basking branch) is 86F. The ambient temp in the middle of the enclosure ranges from 71F-83F. At night the temp has dipped to minimun 70F. A problem that I seem to be having is keeping humidity levels up above 30% by 2pm and then around 1am it goes down to 28%. Any suggestion on how to keep humidity level up and do you think i should have a bigger temp dip at night?View attachment 290124View attachment 290125View attachment 290126View attachment 290127
What kind of vines did you use? I have been looking for some nice sturdy ones for when my veiled is a little older and heavier

What kind of vines did you use? I have been looking for some nice sturdy ones for when my veiled is a little older and heavier
I wrapped it around my umbrella plant and used plant wire to secure to branches. So far its been doing well with water exposure.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210123-230745_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210123-230745_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 116
I'm attaching some pictures and I'd appreciate some constructive criticism and any improvement or changes I can do. For the outer shell I used a ReptiMed 18x18x36. I covered the three side panels with 1/4in cardboard foam and covered it up with some GreatStuff Foam. I did add two wall pots so I can add more plants. The current plants in the pots are Pothos and Polka Dot. I covered the foam with some silicone and added some coco fiber on the back wall panel. The lights that I'm using are an Arcadia Jungle Dawn LED bar, Arcadia ProT5 UVB 6% Bulb With Hood, and the heat bulb is a 60W Exo Terra Daylight Heat bulb. I did add a lamp mount so the heat dome doesn't rest on the screen. It's not 100% finished since I still need to add the misting system. I've been misting and watering by hand until I get that in. I'm testing out different misting time and how it changes humidity and temp. As of now the max temp I've been getting from 8in from the top screen (basking branch) is 86F. The ambient temp in the middle of the enclosure ranges from 71F-83F. At night the temp has dipped to minimun 70F. A problem that I seem to be having is keeping humidity levels up above 30% by 2pm and then around 1am it goes down to 28%. Any suggestion on how to keep humidity level up and do you think i should have a bigger temp dip at night?View attachment 290124View attachment 290125View attachment 290126View attachment 290127

Two quick critiques before I hit the sack for the night.
1) Drop your basking temps down to about 80 degrees for a baby panther. Not even adult veiled chameleons are supposed to have a basking spot over 85 (at the very max). Plus, babies don't need as high of temps in the basking spot. 80 degrees should suffice.

2) I would add smaller branches to the cage as well. Those branches seem to be pretty thick, which is fine, but smaller branches that your guy can properly grip are always better than branches that are too big in diameter.

Everything else seems to be fine. Glad to hear you are investing in a misting system. What is your supplementation and feeding schedule going to look like?

Tip: To increase humidity during the day, you can always cover the main door (not the maintenance door at the bottom) with window shrink film (see link below) that you can use to cover the main screen door. As long as the maintenance door at the bottom and the screen top are unobstructed, then you will have a chimney effect that will still give you plenty of airflow. Just make sure to monitor your humidity levels.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Duck-62...G9L7kFajNIWxOwmrj9BoCQKIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited:
Beautiful set up so far! 😍 And as for the humidity I use a humidifier through the night, I think 28 is way too low for misting alone to get to 100%. The window film will help a bit, but fogging is really going to get your chameleon the best hydration. Distilled or RO water is recommended, filtered water may be ok if your water isn’t too hard. Clean once a month at least. For me, it’s the most beautiful scene when the lights turn on and the fog machine stops and water is slowly dripping from my misting 🥰 like I’ve captured a moment deep in a rainforest. Its a great way to start to the day!

Two quick critiques before I hit the sack for the night.
1) Drop your basking temps down to about 80 degrees for a baby panther. Not even adult veiled chameleons are supposed to have a basking spot over 85 (at the very max). Plus, babies don't need as high of temps in the basking spot. 80 degrees should suffice.

2) I would add smaller branches to the cage as well. Those branches seem to be pretty thick, which is fine, but smaller branches that your guy can properly grip are always better than branches that are too big in diameter.

Everything else seems to be fine. Glad to hear you are investing in a misting system. What is your supplementation and feeding schedule going to look like?

Tip: To increase humidity during the day, you can always cover the main door (not the maintenance door at the bottom) with window shrink film (see link below) that you can use to cover the main screen door. As long as the maintenance door at the bottom and the screen top are unobstructed, then you will have a chimney effect that will still give you plenty of airflow. Just make sure to monitor your humidity levels.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Duck-62...G9L7kFajNIWxOwmrj9BoCQKIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Thanks for the tips!
Unfortunately though when I built the enclosure I did cover the maintenance door because of the drainage basin. Do you think I can still put the shrink wrap on the door and just not cover 3in from the bottom to allow air flow?
I do have some small branches in the back but I'll definitely add some more. I'll try bringing the heat lamp more up to see if that will decrease the basking temp.
I did talk to my breeder about what supplements he uses and he recommended the Arcadia supplements. I did look into them and I'll probably order them end of February.
I have plenty of time to get ready. The little guy hasn't even hatched yet lol but I want to make sure I'm doing everything right. Plus thing are a little pricy with lights, enclosure supplies, etc..

Hi there... I see your using an analog gauge... These are not always reliable. Switch to a digital gauge. Look into the govee ones that are sensors that work with your phone and App. Just do not put them in a direct spray path.

I would not cover the door if you do not have the bottom service door open screen. You will not be able to get the chimney effect for air flow with the door covered as well.

You know you will have to upgrade to a larger cage right? This will be fine for baby but you will need a 2x2x4 minimum once he hits the 6 month mark at the latest.

Hi there... I see your using an analog gauge... These are not always reliable. Switch to a digital gauge. Look into the govee ones that are sensors that work with your phone and App. Just do not put them in a direct spray path.

I would not cover the door if you do not have the bottom service door open screen. You will not be able to get the chimney effect for air flow with the door covered as well.

You know you will have to upgrade to a larger cage right? This will be fine for baby but you will need a 2x2x4 minimum once he hits the 6 month mark at the latest.
I do have a govee plus 2 digital thermometers. I'm planning on getting a 2nd govee soon to have a better reading of middle temp. I know its hard to see in the picture but its there.
I'm already getting started on my plans for the upgrade enclosure. I used the first enclosure as a learning experience for the upgrade. I have so many new ideas and techniques now.
I was prepping myself for over a year by listening to a lot of bill strand podcast and reading through so many forum on here. I did so much research and watched so many YouTube videos before starting by build.
I'm really enjoying all the feedback that I'm getting from the community and I'm adding it all into my notes for my upgrade 😁

I do have a govee plus 2 digital thermometers. I'm planning on getting a 2nd govee soon to have a better reading of middle temp. I know its hard to see in the picture but its there.
I'm already getting started on my plans for the upgrade enclosure. I used the first enclosure as a learning experience for the upgrade. I have so many new ideas and techniques now.
I was prepping myself for over a year by listening to a lot of bill strand podcast and reading through so many forum on here. I did so much research and watched so many YouTube videos before starting by build.
I'm really enjoying all the feedback that I'm getting from the community and I'm adding it all into my notes for my upgrade 😁
So when are you misting hun and for how long? Panther daytime humidity is going to need to be at about 50%. It will be lower up on the basking level because that is where the light and heat is. So as you move down into the plants it should be higher.

I should be getting the mistking by the end of February. I'm hand misting for now. I mist 5min before the uvb and jungle dawn turn on. They go on at 8am and heat lamb goes on at 8:30am. So I mist for 2min wait a min then mist for another 2min. I do the same thing 5min before the lights go off at 8pm.

I should be getting the mistking by the end of February. I'm hand misting for now. I mist 5min before the uvb and jungle dawn turn on. They go on at 8am and heat lamb goes on at 8:30am. So I mist for 2min wait a min then mist for another 2min. I do the same thing 5min before the lights go off at 8pm.
Your numbers will be different hand misting vs mistking.

What is your normal ambient humidity level in your home hun? Sometimes if this is very low the only thing you can really do is up the ambient level by running a cool mist humidifier in the room where the cham is. This is going to increase the ambient humidity without adding water to the cage direct. So that it then pulls up the ambient cage humidity as well.

It’s great that you are getting things setup beforehand! CaskAbove.com has really good Cham info and setup checklist that may be very helpful too. Good luck and welcome to the fam!☺️

Back
Top Bottom