getting my chameleon to drink

heatherchameleon

I've always battled with getting him to drink but i have found that after he's been asleep for a bit i start spraying for a minute or so and he automatically starts opening his mouth for water!!! this might help someone else.....

I've always battled with getting him to drink but i have found that after he's been asleep for a bit i start spraying for a minute or so and he automatically starts opening his mouth for water!!! this might help someone else.....

My cham never drinks in front of me. But I know that he does. That's a really good idea though.

Don't disturb him while he's sleeping. Just water him for about 5 minutes each time you mist in the morning and walk away. They won't always drink right infront you.

The past 9 months me and my chameleon have constantly fighting his dehydration...his urate was orange....I soak him every other day otherwise his urate changes slowly from white to orange in it. He doesn't get how to drink...he will go to the place where I water him stretch up to reach the top; I mega water him but he goes crazy and keeps reaching up rubbing his head and mouth but not opening. I find that as he gets dehydrated the instinct to lap his mouth disappears and he does this wiping his body on his cage. So its a constant battle to get him to drink that is why I was so excited to get him to start lapping when hes asleep....if anyone has any suggestions at all about watering ideas I've tried the drip system spraying frequently till it pours, he walks to where I'm spraying so I know he wants water. And I have brought him to the vet no problems except the mission of keeping him hydrated.

If you fill out this form it might help us, help you.

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
* Location - Where are you geographically located?

I actually get my chameleon to drink from a watering bottle for bunnies. It's actually really freaking adorable lol.

WATCH his POOP and urates that’ll tell you off the bat, if he is drinking or not. brown black poop, white, not yellow, but white at the end......:eek:

My cham never drinks in front of me. But I know that he does. That's a really good idea though.

Same here! I have seen it do it ONE TIME! I was walking into my room and I saw him staring at the dripper. I crouched down, and saw him shoot at it and then walk closer to get some more water. :D

You should try a water dish.

That's the only way my Cham will drink enough water. It's fine to do as well at you change the water daily, so poo-poo to all the nay sayers.

Sometimes, when he's shedding, he'll also sit in the water dish or hang his tail in. It helps his ease his itchiness.

I don't think there is anything abnormal about a drinking reflex while sleeping. Rain is just as likely to occur at night as it is during the day. And heavy, dripping, dew accumulation is a night time thing. The casques and crests of these animals direct the water to their lips if they hold their heads at a certain angle. I would not stop misting during the day, but I would keep misting at night too.:)

Back
Top Bottom