Getting Coccidia out of Harry

Harry'smom

what wattage of basking light and how much LED on chameleon cage 18X16X20 site:www ... Harry is on his second medicine. We are changing to a cage 16X16X20 as Vet suggested with little climbing sticks and one new plant. The time and expense getting our child healthy is unexpected

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Seems I need regular 60 or 50 W bulb and our own LED lamp. We just have to keep basking limb 8 inches from top of small cage. Getting rid of coccidia parasite is difficult, hard on Harry, depressing for helicopter parent. (me), and more time consuming and expensive than you can possible understand. Each treatment takes ridding cage of sticks and plants, using very harsh chemicals to clean cage. Wash and dishwasher all plastics. Food and insects have to be killed and replaced. Lots of medical gloves and all new insects if your chameleon will eat. Ours wouldn't. We hand fed a special Vet powder mixed with water in syringe for six weeks. We thought Harry lost use of tongue, but it was because he was weak. He has use of tongue now but eats very little. BUT!!!! He is drinking from the little dripper. On his own!!! I sprayed into his mouth for three months. I worry about Harry not having a good place to hide with one plant and a few sticks; but the aim is to get him well. We are in love with Harry. Our entire family pitches in with his care. I am quite disabled and spent most of my days between office across from my bedroom and bed. Harry has increased my output and I am getting stronger for it. Watching him is better than TV, although, Harry loves television and music. He has a limb he lays on when we turn on cartoons. We will do whatever it takes to get him well. We have a great chameleon Vet. How lucky is that?

Make sure your overall husbandry is on point including UVB. Coccidia is not a fun one to deal with at all. But with the right treatment they can overcome it within the first few weeks. You want 3 clean fecals before you are in the clear. And yes it does involve very extreme cage cleaning. Be cautious force feeding the mixes. Some of them are high in fat soluble vitamins and can cause more damage if they are on them more than a few weeks.

Hello and welcome! Coccidia is an entamoeba parasite. I had one similar called entamoeba invadens and getting rid of both parasites is a similar process.

If you have any questions on how to sanitize, decrease the risk of spreading the parasite or anything else please let me know! It’s not cheap and it’s not fun but it’s worth going through the process to make sure your baby is ok.

Back
Top Bottom