Getting a male Jackson's in one month!

lovepicasso

Went to the pet store today to get some crickets for Picasso and looked at these two Jackson's they have, well the female had babies last week and I'm sure the breeder they got her from didn't know she was pregnant, any way...she had 8 babies and they are keeping them together in an enclosure and plan to adopt them out next month, if they make it that far...so I told them I want a male and she put my name on the list, I am only the second person on the list...praying they make it and I can bring a baby boy home next month.
Any advice on a month old Jackson's would be great.

I have a breeding pair of common Jacksons and she gave birth to three babies this past February. I sold all three of them to a local pet store last month and at that time, they were still not really able to identify what the gender of them were. when I stopped by yesterday to pick up some hornmorms I noticed that two of them had been sold and that they were males with the third a female and it wasent until recently that the store owner was able to tell who was who. So you might want to wait a little bit more than a month before you buy a jax baby unless your ok with a 50/50 cnance of getting a female instead of a male.

I have a breeding pair of common Jacksons and she gave birth to three babies this past February. I sold all three of them to a local pet store last month and at that time, they were still not really able to identify what the gender of them were. when I stopped by yesterday to pick up some hornmorms I noticed that two of them had been sold and that they were males with the third a female and it wasent until recently that the store owner was able to tell who was who. So you might want to wait a little bit more than a month before you buy a jax baby unless your ok with a 50/50 cnance of getting a female instead of a male.

Thanks, I didn't know it would take that long to identify the sex, I may have to ask if they will hold them a while longer.

I agree with the above - it is very hard to tell them apart at that young age! When Monty and his clutchmates were two weeks old the all looked the same. We thought that they were actually mostly males but in fact it turned out that only 3 were males out of the 13 that survived. Jacksons can be tricky and it is usually best to get them at around 4 to 5 months, once the danger of them suddenly keeling over for no reasn has passed.

Having said that, I got Monty when he was just 7 weeks old! The main thing is to keep on top of humidity and hydration. Also remember that these tiny guys ned much less supplementation than Panthers and Veileds. I was absolutely obsessed with him andhis care and so paranoid that every day I would wake up to find him gone. Once he got to 5 months I breathed a huge sigh of relief. All the worry was so totally worth it, he is friendliest little chap ever! He actually threw himself into my hand when I got hom from work the other day! There is something extra special about Jacksons! :D

Back
Top Bottom