Generally behavioral question

NikkiA

Avid Member
I haven't been in "the chameleon game" too long, so I have a general behavioral question regarding my panther chameleon. Last night, I saw her in the ficus tree towards the bottom of her enclosure, she slept there which she has never done. Today, she did get up walked around, drank and ate, but didn't bask like normal. She went back down to the ficus tree in the early afternoon and has been there since. She is alert and moving. The temperature in that spot is 67 degrees, I used a temperature gun to get the temp in the exact spot she's hanging out in.

After this very long winded description, I was wondering is this something that I should be worried about since she is hanging out closer to the bottom of the enclosure (she used to sleep and hang out in the middle)? Or is it okay because her behavior is otherwise normal and she is still in a tree even if it closer to the bottom of her enclosure?

I attached a picture of her enclosure and circled the spot where she is hanging out.

Attachments

• 20200413_195510.jpg
    20200413_195510.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 126
  • 20200413_201446.jpg
    20200413_201446.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 132
She is about 3 and a half months. Here is a picture from 2 days ago. I will post a new photo of her tomorrow when her lights go back on.

Attachments

• 20200411_171700.jpg
    20200411_171700.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 57
@kinyonga Here are some pictures from today. The 2 with her in the ficus are just after her lights went on and about 45 minutes after her light was on.

Attachments

• 20200414_090422.jpg
    20200414_090422.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 20200414_094948.jpg
    20200414_094948.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 20200414_102608.jpg
    20200414_102608.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 20200414_113226.jpg
    20200414_113226.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 67
I would pull the UVB light to the middle of the cage so you get better coverage. The top does not have much cover for her. I wonder if she is going down to the ficus because she feels safer there since it is more hidden. What are the temps at the top... Should not be hotter then 80 for her at this age.

Thank you! Great suggestion about moving the light. I will do that a.s.a.p.

The temperature around the highest basking branch is at 82.6 degrees.

I had figured that she felt more protected in the ficus, but my concern was that she was so close towards the bottom. She usually sleeps towards the top covered by the dracaena leaves.

Thank you! Great suggestion about moving the light. I will do that a.s.a.p.

The temperature around the highest basking branch is at 82.6 degrees.

I had figured that she felt more protected in the ficus, but my concern was that she was so close towards the bottom. She usually sleeps towards the top covered by the dracaena leaves.
I mean it is not ideal that she is hiding at the bottom because she will not get UVB there. The lighting will drop off drastically 12 inches from the light. Your UVB is a T5HO with a 5.0 bulb correct?

Do you have any fake plants you can put up on the door to create a bit of a shield? Other option is getting a much larger ficus that has height to it. Even a tall full dracena.

I mean it is not ideal that she is hiding at the bottom because she will not get UVB there. The lighting will drop off drastically 12 inches from the light. Your UVB is a T5HO with a 5.0 bulb correct?

Do you have any fake plants you can put up on the door to create a bit of a shield? Other option is getting a much larger ficus that has height to it. Even a tall full dracena.

She is out most of the day, although yesterday she did retreat to the ficus early. It was the first time that she had ever gone into the ficus, so I wasn't sure if it was because she found a new spot or the first sign of some type of issue. She is out now basking in her normal spot, so I will keep watch.

You are correct on the type of lighting that I have.

Unfortunately, I went to several greenhouses (before COVID-19) and I could only find ginormous ficus or small like what I have.

I do have artificial plants that I can put in her enclosure for now. I was hoping the 2 pothos would grow faster than they are. Do you have any suggestions on some other vine type plants that would grow in faster, so she could get more coverage? I prefer to keep it as natural as possible.

Thank you! I appreciate all of your suggestions. I want to make sure that I am doing the best I can for her.

She is out most of the day, although yesterday she did retreat to the ficus early. It was the first time that she had ever gone into the ficus, so I wasn't sure if it was because she found a new spot or the first sign of some type of issue. She is out now basking in her normal spot, so I will keep watch.

You are correct on the type of lighting that I have.

Unfortunately, I went to several greenhouses (before COVID-19) and I could only find ginormous ficus or small like what I have.

I do have artificial plants that I can put in her enclosure for now. I was hoping the 2 pothos would grow faster than they are. Do you have any suggestions on some other vine type plants that would grow in faster, so she could get more coverage? I prefer to keep it as natural as possible.

Thank you! I appreciate all of your suggestions. I want to make sure that I am doing the best I can for her.
Honestly I love pothos. I am lucky that I have a nursery close by that has huge ones. Wandering jews are pretty and nice but I am not sure how fast they grow. I do not have one because my Veiled eats everything.

How long have you actually had her?

I love pothos too, I just wish they would fill up my enclosure more quickly, lol! The nurseries near me are all closed because of COVID-19. When I scouted plants before everything closed, I'd look at what was visually appealing and check the chameleon approved plant list, if it was on it, I'd buy it.

I have a friend who is going to give me a wandering jew. I haven't been able to get it because of our stay at home order.

I have had her for a month and a half. She was supposed to be a male, but ended up being a female. The person I bought her from offered to exchange her for their last male, but I have 3 young daughters and I felt like it would send the wrong message to exchange a female for a male. I probably read way too much into the situation, but there's nothing wrong with females. I just really wanted the vibrant colors.

I love pothos too, I just wish they would fill up my enclosure more quickly, lol! The nurseries near me are all closed because of COVID-19. When I scouted plants before everything closed, I'd look at what was visually appealing and check the chameleon approved plant list, if it was on it, I'd buy it.

I have a friend who is going to give me a wandering jew. I haven't been able to get it because of our stay at home order.

I have had her for a month and a half. She was supposed to be a male, but ended up being a female. The person I bought her from offered to exchange her for their last male, but I have 3 young daughters and I felt like it would send the wrong message to exchange a female for a male. I probably read way too much into the situation, but there's nothing wrong with females. I just really wanted the vibrant colors.
Well I love your sentiment in keeping her. I have a 15 year old daughter and totally get where your coming from. And honestly females are just as wonderful and have their own beauty. As long as husbandry is on point then egg laying goes smoothly as well.

Anyways I ask because it is quite normal to be on edge about every single thing when you are a first time keeper. Trust me I was. I am a year and a half in now and still have my moments. I have people that are more experienced then me that I lean on. Honestly I do not feel that learning the husbandry is hard. I feel that learning their behaviors is much more difficult. Trying to figure out what is normal and what may not be. All I can say is that this comes with time. I can now tell when Beman is going to shed even before it is visible. I know that a simple thing like opening a curtain and letting more light in can effect his behavior. Switching a plant out puts him into a tantrum. He is more emotional then my child. :hilarious:

Last edited:
Sorry it took me a bit of time to get back to you.
You have two lights other than the tube light on the top of the cage...what are they for? What lighte are they?

Sorry it took me a bit of time to get back to you.
You have two lights other than the tube light on the top of the cage...what are they for? What lighte are they?

Thank you for responding, no apology is needed, you are very in demand on this forum helping with issues that are much more urgent than mine.

They are basking lights. They are just normal 75watt bulbs. They keep the basking areas in the low 80s.

Have you always had them on the cage? Has the temperature in that room changed at all? Just wondering if she now has to sit lower because something has changed to make it too hot at the top of the cage? You didn't just change the UVB light did you?

No, I hadn't changed anything when she was in the ficus. Although, as Beman suggested, I have now moved the UVB light towards the middle of the enclosure.

She is back in the dracaena tonight. I was worried since the ficus is lower towards the bottom of the enclosure, but today she was in all of her normal spots towards the top/middle top, except for one time when I seen her go quickly lower today, I think she may have eaten a member of my cleanup crew or a cricket, but her tongue was in and out so fast I couldn't see if she had gotten an isopod or the cricket I dropped last week. Maybe there was movement down towards the bottom of the enclosure that caught her attention the night she ended up in the ficus?

I keep a close eye on her to make sure I am not overlooking or missing something when it comes to her health and/or care. When she was hanging lower I got nervous something was wrong and I started wondering if it could be normal exploration or if I should really start to worry, now I'm thinking she may have noticed there are tasty treats in the bottom of her enclosure, like the rogue cricket.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions, I really appreciate it.

I’m so happy that you’ve decided to keep your little beauty even though you wanted a colorful male. Female panthers don’t get their due and I find their understated beauty stunning.

Back
Top Bottom