geeking out!

Tarzanfam

Established Member
So I have been posting a bit about my little panther in the medical thread due to some eye issues and a few of you have been SO helpful, I cannot thank you enough! Today I joined a facebook group for reptile lighting just to see if I could follow up a few leads on answers for my little one and FRANCES BAINES answered me!!!!!! Totally geeking out. Also, she is confident with a small modification to my lighting, Neptune will be just fine. I wish I could tag you guys! I can't even! So excited to hear this right from an expert like her. Feeling more confident now. Thank you all!!!!!!!!!

That is too cool! Wonder if she’s aware that she’s got almost celebrity status in the chameleon world? 😂
I told her that I had read some of her work, recommended by people on this forum, and that I was SO excited she was the one who answered. I mean, it doesn't get better than that! It was interesting. She basically said the Chameleon Academy sheet was wrong and his light should be about 9 inches, based upon her research. I can post her whole reply if you'd like. I have raised his light up by 3 inches now. She is certain his eyes will correct quickly but she gave me likely uvb readings and reasons why I should change it. I could have cried knowing that this is coming right from the source and that she is confident he will be ok. Would it help for me to post an educational thread about this lighting?

I told her that I had read some of her work, recommended by people on this forum, and that I was SO excited she was the one who answered. I mean, it doesn't get better than that! It was interesting. She basically said the Chameleon Academy sheet was wrong and his light should be about 9 inches, based upon her research. I can post her whole reply if you'd like. I have raised his light up by 3 inches now. She is certain his eyes will correct quickly but she gave me likely uvb readings and reasons why I should change it. I could have cried knowing that this is coming right from the source and that she is confident he will be ok. Would it help for me to post an educational thread about this lighting?
I'd love to hear what she had to say. Was this a public or private reply?
Either way, as a matter of courtesy, I'd ask her permission to quote/reprint.

Would it help for me to post an educational thread about this lighting?
🤷‍♂️ Not knowing what you're sitting on, it's hard to say, but if the spirit moves you, go for it.

I'd love to hear what she had to say. Was this a public or private reply?
Either way, as a matter of courtesy, I'd ask her permission to quote/reprint.

🤷‍♂️ Not knowing what you're sitting on, it's hard to say, but if the spirit moves you, go for it.
It was public, just on the lighting group she administrates on facebook, which I didn't realize until she wrote me back. I asked about why Chameleon Academy said 6" of space and Arcadia said 12-15". She gave a detailed response with an accurate answer and why it makes sense for my set up. It's all very interesting. The manufacturer of the cage seems to play a larger role in the distance of the light, as some mesh filters more light than others.

It was public, just on the lighting group she administrates on facebook, which I didn't realize until she wrote me back. I asked about why Chameleon Academy said 6" of space and Arcadia said 12-15". She gave a detailed response with an accurate answer and why it makes sense for my set up. It's all very interesting. The manufacturer of the cage seems to play a larger role in the distance of the light, as some mesh filters more light than others.
This why having a Solarmeter is important!

Don’t kill me but I don’t know who she is… lol…. who is it did she do anything I would know lol?
World's leading authority & researcher on UVB & reptiles.
https://reptilesmagazine.com/an-in-depth-look-at-uv-light-and-its-proper-use-with-reptiles/
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/index.htm
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...nes-2009.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2CsmPSZl0MHf6ipGPdz8rt
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/9781118977705.ch6
..and pages more.

Without Dr. Baines' work, we might still be in the dark ages regarding providing UVB (and how much).

I would love to see where chameleon academy is saying this. I have never seen him say anything other then a distance of 8-9 inches to the branch using a T5HO fixture and a 5.0 or 6% bulb. I know everything he uses is from her as well.

Is she saying 9 inches to branch? And I am wondering if you misunderstood the 6 inches to back of cham as your branch? If people are misunderstanding the images then he should be notified that they are not clear enough. He would really want to know.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom