Gecko sitting

I’ve been looking up their husbandry and it seems that there’s no general consensus on several things...sand substrate, UVB lighting, and calcium supplements. However, all I’ve been reading agrees that Leo’s are at risk for mbd and vitamin A deficiency. Why isn’t there a leopard gecko forum to get better answers?

I’ve been looking up their husbandry and it seems that there’s no general consensus on several things...sand substrate, UVB lighting, and calcium supplements. However, all I’ve been reading agrees that Leo’s are at risk for mbd and vitamin A deficiency. Why isn’t there a leopard gecko forum to get better answers?

I don't use uvb or any sort of lighting. He has access to natural indirect sunlight and the temperature here does not fluctuate much. For substrate, I use fine peat moss and feed him outside his enclosure so he doesn't ingest the substrate while eating. But I discover by accident that he likes to hunt in his enclosure so I am changing his substrate to tiles.

There's a leopard gecko forum, gecko unlimited.

All he has is a purple heat lamp. No UVB. He doesn’t yet have a heat mat. I was going to buy but had already spent too much. He needed a cover for his tank, more hides and some moss. He isn’t mine...yet. I keep that room warm so he should be ok.

I keep both. Leopard Geckos are easier and mine will come out whenever. However he doesn't get lighting just what comes through the window. At least my Leo eats his dubias like a good boy. Same can not be said for my chameleons. And Leo's come out potty trained at hatch. Defecat in same area everytime.

I loved that about my leopard gecko!

There is actually a pretty good leopard gecko community on reddit, just search leopardgecko and it should pop up! They have a lot of great advice and care tips on there

Also, if you are going to spend money on anything for him, it should be the heat mat and thermostat for it. Leopard geckos need underbelly heat right around 90 degrees to properly digest their food

There is actually a pretty good leopard gecko community on reddit, just search leopardgecko and it should pop up! They have a lot of great advice and care tips on there

Also, if you are going to spend money on anything for him, it should be the heat mat and thermostat for it. Leopard geckos need underbelly heat right around 90 degrees to properly digest their food
Wow! Didn’t realize I’d be getting so much great info on this guy.
All he has in his tank is one hide, carpet substrate, food & water dishes and a few chunks of a broken clay brick and broken concrete. He escaped the first night she had him and now has a plastic tote lid and cardboard as a cover. A real cover was priority to me, as is at least a second hide with some moist moss for shedding and maintain some humidity. I’ll most likely get her a heat mat but she’s going to have to do some yard work for it. Lol

Wow! Didn’t realize I’d be getting so much great info on this guy.
All he has in his tank is one hide, carpet substrate, food & water dishes and a few chunks of a broken clay brick and broken concrete. He escaped the first night she had him and now has a plastic tote lid and cardboard as a cover. A real cover was priority to me, as is at least a second hide with some moist moss for shedding and maintain some humidity. I’ll most likely get her a heat mat but she’s going to have to do some yard work for it. Lol

Awe he’s lucky to be with you! Hopefully he didn’t get too far lol

It may not look the greatest, but a cheap alternative to buying a moist hide is to cut a hole out of some Tupperware and file the edges so they aren’t sharp, or just put some hot glue around it. You can also use a mason jar, you’ll just have to moisten the sphagnum moss more often

The carpet might also need to be replaced if it’s not washed often, they can get pretty dirty/stinky. A lot of people swear by just using paper towels on the bottom, I use a 50/50 mix of coco fiber and sand and feed in a bowl to avoid any risk of impaction. If I’m feeding crickets I’ll take him out and feed him in a big plastic bin so he can have some fun hunting for them

I dusted the insects and fed them the same way I do the chameleons. I also put a small lid of calcium in e cage. I used my old UVB bulbs on their cages too...and I had them for over 19 years. I stopped counting at 19.

I dusted the insects and fed them the same way I do the chameleons. I also put a small lid of calcium in e cage. I used my old UVB bulbs on their cages too...and I had them for over 19 years. I stopped counting at 19.
I had to give the cute little guy back to his owner, but made some major improvements is his tank, diet and life quality. Maybe once I recover a little from the expense of getting Miss Grumpy set up in her new enclosure and fixing up the little gecko’s tank, I’ll look into getting a gecko of my own. :)

I had to give the cute little guy back to his owner, but made some major improvements is his tank, diet and life quality. Maybe once I recover a little from the expense of getting Miss Grumpy set up in her new enclosure and fixing up the little gecko’s tank, I’ll look into getting a gecko of my own. :)

You can consider a fat tailed gecko too. They are really awesome too. I'm waiting for an oreo morph fat tailed gecko currently.

Leo’s don’t need any above heat because they simply aren’t evolved for it. They don’t bask so no need for above heat. I have a 20Long tank, with the 5-10 gallon heat pad under her favorite hide with a thermostat set at 84, water dish, calcium dish, cold hide, humid hide, and fake plants/fake cacti for her to walk around or even hide in the fake plants. Eco earth substrate with routine spot cleaning and i refresh the substrate when i sense a smell. I have the exact set up for both of my leo’s ( literally mirrored ) and they both are very happy. If natural light in your room isn’t too bright then get a 5W nano LED bulb. They’re awesome pets and the ideal beginner reptile for anyone of any age

Back
Top Bottom