Gecko sitting

MissSkittles

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hi. Someone has asked me to take care of their Leopard Gecko for the weekend. So I have what is probably another stupid question.
Is it safe to have it in the same room as Miss Grumpy...separate enclosures spaced a feet apart and out of sight of each other. Do I need to take precautions to prevent possible cross-contamination of anything?

Hi. Someone has asked me to take care of their Leopard Gecko for the weekend. So I have what is probably another stupid question.
Is it safe to have it in the same room as Miss Grumpy...separate enclosures spaced a feet apart and out of sight of each other. Do I need to take precautions to prevent possible cross-contamination of anything?
They are no trouble to look after. Change water, feed bugs and very easy to spot clean the poop.

They are nocturnal so most of the time, the cham will be asleep when the gecko comes out anyway.

He was brought over yesterday...cute little guy. He’s nocturnal like me. Lol. His tank is so bare. I’m trying to resist the urge to go out and get stuff to fix it up. Have a feeling I’ll be breaking down and buying some stuff for him.
Mine loves his ExoTerra hides. He's got a huge 18x39x19 enclosure that includes two hides, 2 plants, and some cork bark.

My Leo enclosure is just next to my cham enclosure. He is very easy to take care of. And he comes out of his hide whenever he wants, even in the day. He sleeps in his hide and sometimes on his favorite piece of rock. He's really really chill that I can just go grab him and hold him and he would look at me like what's up bro?

20190627_112635.jpg

Is the leo an adult? You can feed him or her twice or thrice a week if it's an adult. They drink little water. They don't require as much supplements though, dust the feeders once a week is enough. My own leo spits out dusted feeders a long time ago when I gave him dusted feeders every time. I think he's telling me to quit dusting his damn food.

Is the leo an adult? You can feed him or her twice or thrice a week if it's an adult. They drink little water. They don't require as much supplements though, dust the feeders once a week is enough. My own leo spits out dusted feeders a long time ago when I gave him dusted feeders every time. I think he's telling me to quit dusting his damn food.
No idea how old he is. Thanks for the info. I’ll pass it on to step daughter. She’s been dusting all of his (not gutloaded) feeders and said he’s been refusing them, so she put his supplement in his water. Tonight he ate an undusted silkworm and discoid roach very happily but is leaving his worms to crawl around his tank. I cleaned water dish and put fresh for him. I did break and ordered some basics for him. I’m a softy when it comes to animals.

I disagree with this. Calcium should be used with every feeding as with a chameleon. Leopard Geckos don't "need" uvb or high levels of D3 so I actually keep my Leo on the same dusting regiment as my chams. Calcium daily. Calcium+D3 once every 3 weeks, Herptavite once every 3 weeks, Vitamin A Plus once every 3 weeks.

I noticed once my Leo wasn't interested in eating everyday instead it was every other day is when I backed her off to that precisely. So I feed her 10 feeders every other day. She eats crickets but goes ape over bananas for dubias.

I disagree with this. Calcium should be used with every feeding as with a chameleon. Leopard Geckos don't "need" uvb or high levels of D3 so I actually keep my Leo on the same dusting regiment as my chams. Calcium daily. Calcium+D3 once every 3 weeks, Herptavite once every 3 weeks, Vitamin A Plus once every 3 weeks.

I noticed once my Leo wasn't interested in eating everyday instead it was every other day is when I backed her off to that precisely. So I feed her 10 feeders every other day. She eats crickets but goes ape over bananas for dubias.

I don't give calcium every feeding like I used to. He stop eating for almost a week back then when he was a juvenile at about 7 months old, he's 1 year and 2 months old now. A local experienced breeder advise me to stop dusting the feeders every time and I did. He started eating again. I don't think there is an exact proper supplement schedule though for leopard geckos. Maybe it differs individually.

Back
Top Bottom