Garrett’s orange eyes

@SmithSe I'll try to get some more pictures and a weight for Thor this weekend to see where he's at. He did have another shed a couple weeks after his last which was a good sign but his appetite has slowed down a bit the last week or two so I'm not sure if his still growing at the same rate as his last spurt...

@alligatorboym360 Your girl looks great! I love her colors and she seems way more chill crawling around on you than Thor does on me lol.

hes been growing slower then all the others, i was told when i got him he was the smallest anyways lol. but since dealing with the mouth issues i posted about before and highering the temps hes grown a lot. heres some updated pics hes been showing lots of yellow lately .

Attachments

• newp.jpg
    newp.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 406
  • new1.jpg
    new1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 279
I spoke with someone today that said a female from this clutch had laid an infertile clutch. That was very surprising considering that female was supposed to be around 16 months old currently. I’ve never heard of a Parson’s doing this this young.

I was also shocked when I heard about this, I couldn't believe it! This is the female in question, she hatched between May-June of 2017, and I first heard about her dropping eggs this July.
I think in this photo she's about a year old, taken June of this year. This female was only about 13 months old when I heard about the first egg :0
The earliest I've personally had females lay is at about 2.5 years. Most don't lay at all unless interacting with males, at least for me.
2 (2).jpg

WtEazTo.jpg

@NorCalAnthony @shawn_melanson @Bammer @alligatorboym360 Been a hot second since this thread has had an update! How are all your parsonii doing from Garrett's '17 clutch? Boris had a pretty slow growing period this winter and is just now getting back into form. He's about 250 grams right now, and I'm hoping he reaches 400 by the time fall rolls around!

Wow my YL is under 200, born I think april '17. I've brumated him both winters though. Going to bring him out within a month or so, hasn't eaten all winter. All of your OE's are beautiful!

Sorry, I know this is a thread for Garrett's. Just like to see the comparisons between locales.

Last edited:
@jamest0o0 Haha no need for an apology! I think it's super interesting to make growth comparisons between the parsonii locales, especially since ours are so close in age but have different rearing strategies! I know my guy was brumated last year before I received him, but I elected not to brumate him this year, which has had a relatively significant impact on his weight. Had I brumated him, he would have gone in at about 170 grams, so 30 less than your guy. He's only gained 10-12ish grams the last few months up until I placed him in his new enclosure, then put on 40! I've got a good feeling it's going to be a good growin' year for our parson's!

For sure I'm looking forward to following along, seeing how they all progress. I honestly just brumated this year and last out of convenience. The room he's in gets perfect brumation temps from october-april (50 nights 60 day). Seems like around 2 years they really take off in size. I remember last year when my guy came out he was eating handfuls of bees outside(chased them down...) along with anything I hand fed him. Looking forward to this spring for sure. I need to get on building his new enclosure!

@jamest0o0 That IS super convenient! Perfect brumation temps and all that cheddar you saved on parsonii food. What's not to like? Haha. Good grief, he was munching on bees? That's gnarly! I wonder if they don't react to stings or their bite force is just so strong they obliterate the bee before it has a chance to retaliate. I'm retrofitting a bird aviary into an outdoor parsonii enclosure, but I too have got to build a large enclosure for indoor use. I'm thinking 6'x3'x6' and have zero carpentry abilities so this should be interesting, lol. Do you have a ballpark size you're shooting for?

@SmithSe I was worried about the bees at first, but he must have known they had stingers. He caught countless over the months, and every single time he crunched them to pieces within a second. Way too fast for them to react at all.

I was thinking of doing the bird aviary as well for the outdoor enclosure. I ended up badly putting together a PVC frame with metal screen for his outdoor enclosure. The indoor enclosure is still up in the air... We're moving out more into the country, and we'll have a sunporch at our place, so I may try to insulate that a bit and keep him in there for the winter and outside for the summer. Hoping to do something at least 6x3x6. Really want to have a huge display similar to extensionofgreen's set up one day, but I will need to wait until we do some remodeling first or my wife might bury me in the woods.

@SmithSe Thor had a similar slow down with growing and eating but seems to be getting back to his normal self now. I haven't had a chance to get a weight or measurement in a while but I can try to do that over this coming weekend to see where he's at. He definitely looks like he's passed up the Panthers I've had before size-wise. Boris is looking great BTW, love his blue-teal colors (y)

I did get him moved in to a bigger DIY cage (36" wide x 24" deep x 54" tall inside) a couple months ago and he seems to really be enjoying the extra space. Hopefully I'll be able to start working on his future grown up enclosure later this summer if time allows. I'll be shooting for around 60" or so wide x 34" deep by 54" high not including a foot or so of bioactive soil for plants at the bottom and a cabinet to hide the drainage under that so probably close to 7' tall with everything... I'd like to go bigger but anything more than that and I won't be able to fit it through the doors of my house to bring it inside lol.
20190308_174030.jpg
20190114_163543.jpg
20190128_173054.jpg

Last edited:
@NorCalAnthony Thor's lookin' fantastic! He's definitely got a little girth to him, that's for sure! :) Boris was only flashing those colors because he caught a glimpse of my female Pearl when I removed her from her enclosure and was losing his sh*t, haha. Doing that thing where they lift their rump up and wave back in forth in sheer contempt.

Did you get the plans for his current DIY cage build from a thread on here or design it yourself? Either way, super cool! Your plans for his future cage sound pretty awesome too! I remember reading in the parsonii care sheet by @OldChamKeeper that he recommended putting two DragonStrand Atriums together, and according to your dimensions, your future DIY cage would be just about the same size by volume!

PS. your Pothos is massive. Got some impressive vine-age goin' on there!

It's one I built for my Panther, Loki, a few years back when I was out from work for a while. I did a build thread on here but here's a better picture when I first finished it and I have since added and sealed some clear acrylic sheets around the bottom to add the soil for the plants/bio-active setup that you saw in the other pics. And yeah you're right, the Pothos were getting pretty huge in his old cage but when I transferred them to the new one they lost most of their leaves and are just now starting to fill back out.
20130210_195847.jpg

I really like the Dragon Strand Atriums and was going to buy one of the large clear sides with their substrate tray back in Oct-Nov but when I went to place the order they said they were another month out from being built and when I checked in again they had pushed the build times out another 3 months and Thor was getting too cramped in the enclosure he was in to wait any longer so I just modified this one and called it good for now lol. I've thought about asking Dragon Stand if they could do a custom build with the larger dimensions but I'm not sure if they'd be able to take on anything like that with how busy they are with their regular cages... With my current job and now an 8 month old daughter I don't have a lot of free time and would be willing to just pay the extra money to have something like that built and then find or build a simple base/cabinet for it rather than make a new fancy full custom DIY.

Last edited:
@NorCalAnthony That cabinet conversion is beautiful! And I bet it took a hot sec to build, too! I was fortunate enough to grab a clear-sided DragonStrand atrium before Bill got too backed up with his orders, but boy does he fill up fast. I'm with you in that I'd rather shell out some extra $$$ for him to build one rather than coordinate the build myself. I've considered inquiring about a custom build (and I know other members have too!), so I might shoot him an email and just see what he says. I'm in no rush to get one because I think Boris will be peachy in his 5x5x5' outdoor aviary until September, but I'll let you know what he says in case a miracle happens and he's willing to do a custom order! :)

@SmithSe that one was a full DIY, not a cabinet conversion. I tried looking around Craigslist online and in the thrift stores but could never find anything that I liked or would be a good fit for a chameleon so I decided to try my hand at woodworking. It did a good job keeping me busy while I was out from work and I actually enjoyed the experience and learned a lot of stuff that I plan on changing/doing differently if or when I do another one... I remember Bill mentioning they could do custom stuff a while back on here but with the business taking off I don't think they're doing anything like that anymore. If you have any luck talking them in to it again let me know so I can jump on board lol.

You're lucky to have an outdoor setup for Boris. I'd really like to do something like that for Thor but I live in the Sacramento, CA area and our summers regularly go over 100 and spring/fall has been all over the place with one day being a stormy 50 degrees, the next being beautiful in the 70's, and then having random cold streaks with the nights going in to the 30's again... If it was just hot or cold I could try to do something to compensate but it's just been all over the place.

Last edited:
Boris update: I've officially had the guy for a year now and he'll turn 2 years old this month! He's been an absolute joy to work with and something I thought I wouldn't be able to do until a lot later in life. Since I received him last May he's gained almost 300 grams. He's put on over 70 grams since I last weighed him on April 1st alone (which I wasn't sure was even possible, a fair portion must be water weight), and along with the weight has come some serious aggression. For anyone who thought parsonii are the gentle giants of the chameleon world, I implore you to try and gently remove him from his enclosure and see how gentle he is. Meanwhile, sweet Pearl girl has put on 45 grams since her last weigh in and is still a delightful peach!

01tJRIH.jpg

3bKX2Yv.jpg

Mei4A3k.jpg

Back
Top Bottom