Gargoyle gecko on the way this week

DocZ

Chameleon Enthusiast
So as a diversion while I make my next chameleon plan, I’m getting a gargoyle gecko this week. Hopefully some of you are keeping these and can add your experience to help my progress

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
    I’m getting a 7 month old gargoyle gecko.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
    Planning on very little until it makes me think that is possible
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
    I have four different Pangea complete diets I’ll use and I keep discoids, dubia, mealworms, supers, waxworms, and silkies available most of the time
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Planning to dust feeders when given, maybe every 3rd feeding (?), with Arcadia EP-A most feedings and once per month Revitalize D3
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I have a fogger running on a herpstat, a Reptirain (I’ll make a review of this some time, didn’t want to hook my Mistking to this enclosure yet), considering a dripper, bur there will also be a small bowl of fresh water at the feeding station
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? I haven’t seen the gecko’s poop yet and will refrain from describing mine
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Coming from a breeder on Morphmarket. Seems like a small breeder. Very responsive to questions. I’ll tell you more about them once I know more

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? ExoTerra 18x18x24 glass terrarium
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I use Arcadia 50W halogen heat bulbs, a sansi LED, and an Arcadia 7% UVB. I’m using a 12 hour on/off schedule for now
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Still sorting this out. The basking branch is monitored by a herpstat dimming thermostat. I have a sensorpush monitor in the cage. I just moved it to a more exposed area and the ambient temp went way up and the RH fell (not too surprising), and I’ll likely get another. Interesting the microclimates that can occur in such a small space. Overnight temps get down to the mid to low 60s at night right now. I’m a little concerned if this is too low (but I doubt it). Nighttime ambients will be higher during the summer
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I’m getting it up to an average of about 80% at night with spikes over 90%, daytime is sometimes below 50%, depending on where the sensor is.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? There’s five live plants in the enclosure. 2 suspended and three planted in the soil
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? It’s in a fairly low traffic area in an upstairs bedroom
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? I’m in Omaha, NE

• I appreciate any input especially regarding basking and ambient temps, acceptable nighttime lows, and day/night humidity
  • Thanks guys
    80762E84-8CFE-4171-B52E-747E6AD34217.jpeg
    53978096-442E-4505-9E13-4CD2304D85B2.jpeg

Love the colors!
Assuming it's a male?
The eyes can creep you out....but you'll get used to them!
I love all the geckoes with no eyelids!

Love the colors!
Assuming it's a male?
The eyes can creep you out....but you'll get used to them!
I love all the geckoes with no eyelids!
I actually don’t know if it’s a male or female yet. It’s pretty small still, and I’m respecting their privacy 😂

THEIR privacy?

Someone I know who keeps them says that when they're young and you pick them up if they poop on you they're likely males...don't know if it's true or not! Maybe you'll find out! 😏

Gary has some beautiful colors and patterns! 💗 Congrats!
Pardon my ignorance, but if they lack eyelids, how can you tell when they’re asleep? Do they have a special film that covers the eye?

Gary has some beautiful colors and patterns! 💗 Congrats!
Pardon my ignorance, but if they lack eyelids, how can you tell when they’re asleep? Do they have a special film that covers the eye?
No idea. 😊 He’s (she’s?) been hanging out in the same spot all day. I know they can lick their eyes 🤷‍♂️

@kinyonga I’ll try the pooping trick in a couple of weeks after they settle in 😂

You said..."No idea. 😊 He’s (she’s?) been hanging out in the same spot all day. I know they can lick their eyes"...i never looked at my gargoyles eyes when I had it...but the leaf tailed gecko eyes should be similar. When light intensities are dim, the pupils of the geckos are round and fully opened. As the light intensity increases, the pupils constrict and change shape from round to several pinholes in a vertical line to shut out most of the light...but they can still see somewhat.
You can see the pupil/line of pinholes in the beginning of this video...

Licking eyes...

You said...."@kinyonga[/USER] I’ll try the pooping trick in a couple of weeks after they settle in 😂"... Let me know what the outcome is of this please! I'm trying to see if it's true.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom