Gargoyle Gecko Help!

Drakonas

I brought home my first Gargoyle on Saturday 5-4-2013, that night he shed his skin and proceeded to eat it. He has pooped 2 times since then (once oh monday, once on tuesday)but that is it, and he hasn't eaten anything since saturday when he shed (his food dish remains untouched. I feed him Crested Gecko pellets that the store I got him from fed him, and I have been trying mashed up apples and bananas, and still nothing. I've tried hand feeding but he wont let me get near him, he bolts and hides. I've been wanting to get some Rapashy but none of the pet stores around me have it that often, what should I do? Starting to get worried that something is wrong. Other than that he seems ok. He sleeps all day and as soon as the sun starts going down he is awake and all over the cage exploring. And tonight he is especially active.

About the Terrarium: Exo Terra 18x18x24. 50watt infrared bulb on a thermostat( 78 deg F during the day, 74 deg f at night, humidity between 50% to 80% through out the day, waterfall and water dish, plants on both sides of the cage, vines, and a mushroom ledge(which is where his food dish is).

I brought home my first Gargoyle on Saturday 5-4-2013, that night he shed his skin and proceeded to eat it. He has pooped 2 times since then (once oh monday, once on tuesday)but that is it, and he hasn't eaten anything since saturday when he shed (his food dish remains untouched. I feed him Crested Gecko pellets that the store I got him from fed him, and I have been trying mashed up apples and bananas, and still nothing. I've tried hand feeding but he wont let me get near him, he bolts and hides. I've been wanting to get some Rapashy but none of the pet stores around me have it that often, what should I do? Starting to get worried that something is wrong. Other than that he seems ok. He sleeps all day and as soon as the sun starts going down he is awake and all over the cage exploring. And tonight he is especially active.

About the Terrarium: Exo Terra 18x18x24. 50watt infrared bulb on a thermostat( 78 deg F during the day, 74 deg f at night, humidity between 50% to 80% through out the day, waterfall and water dish, plants on both sides of the cage, vines, and a mushroom ledge(which is where his food dish is).

I would order some Repashy CGD. I've never used or heard of crested gecko pellets, so I cannot offer input on that.

You can try offering dusted with cal+D3 live feeder insects, and use babyfood (fruits). But if you can find a place that has Repashy CGD it would make your life much simpler.

Depending on size, they usually do not eat very much when little. So you may just not notice the small amount he as been eating.

Thanks, The pet store where I got him is suppose to get thier shipments in mid week, so I am going to call tomorrow to see if any Rapashy came in. I just put some mashed up bananas in his dish with the pellets and Calcium powder with D3. He went over to the dish and licked the banana puree a couple of times and then walked away. Not much, but I do figure that he knows where his food dish is. If thier is something wrong, what should I be looking for, what are signs of distress?

Thanks, The pet store where I got him is suppose to get thier shipments in mid week, so I am going to call tomorrow to see if any Rapashy came in. I just put some mashed up bananas in his dish with the pellets and Calcium powder with D3. He went over to the dish and licked the banana puree a couple of times and then walked away. Not much, but I do figure that he knows where his food dish is. If thier is something wrong, what should I be looking for, what are signs of distress?

Weight loss is a good indicator. If you dont have a gram scale i recommend ordering one, They are less than $10 on amazon. cheap and easy way to observe weight. also, look for shakiness and decreased activity. you can open up their mouths and look at their calcium sacks as well.

Again, Thank you! I ordered Repashy CGD today, got a 16oz bag of original and a 16oz bag of mango, plus the gecko feeding ledge and cups. I stopped at the pet store tonight and got some live meal worms, when I got home I calcium dusted 6 of them and put them in his dish, checked back an hour later and 2 were gone, I check the cage just in case they made an escape, but didn't find anything, so I think he ate. He is now hanging upside down on the screen on top of the cage directly under the heat lamp, is that normal?

Gargoyle geckos live in the 70-80 degree range, topping out at 85. I never use heart lamps, and usually only recommend a small one for night if your house gets too cold at night

Back
Top Bottom