Garden Snails!

littlefoot3

My little male veiled will be arriving next week, and so far on the menu I have crickets planned and then eventually dubias. I have a friend who has offered up snails from her garden after mentioning that they eat snails.

Should I be concerned about him eating snails from a garden as far as parasites, chemicals, anything, etc.? Will they be safe to use?

I wouldn't recommend feeding wild caught snails. They are very prone to having parasites. Many wild caught insects from pesticide free areas are OK, but I wouldn't chance snails.

I wouldn't recommend feeding wild caught snails. They are very prone to having parasites. Many wild caught insects from pesticide free areas are OK, but I wouldn't chance snails.

Is pesticide the main concern? I don't believe she uses any. Her "garden" is mainly just a few herbs.

No parasites are the concern w snails. You could collect them and breed them though. If you separate the eggs in to their own clean container you can minimize the possibility of parasites.

No parasites are the concern w snails. You could collect them and breed them though. If you separate the eggs in to their own clean container you can minimize the possibility of parasites.

That's not a bad idea!

I saw a thread awhile back on here about someone ordering snails and breeding them, but they had to get a permit and that seemed like more hassle then I had time to deal with. It might be worth my while to research and try it since I have some WC readily available. Thanks!

Do it! I love raising snails (as you may have surmised from the linked thread)

I consider them borderline pets :)

I'm now concerned if I put that much time and energy into them that I may not have the heart to feed them to my little Derp haha. It's definitely an option though. When I get some more time and after I have his basic care routine down I'll definitely do some more research.

I'm now concerned if I put that much time and energy into them that I may not have the heart to feed them to my little Derp haha. It's definitely an option though. When I get some more time and after I have his basic care routine down I'll definitely do some more research.

I know exactly what you mean! I had a hard time making my snails food.
but i think its worth it, for the variety in prey. You may find this blog entry useful: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/133-snails.html

I was thinking of breeding some snails too..if I can find any. Was wondering how long the gestation period is and how fast they grow?

I was thinking of breeding some snails too..if I can find any. Was wondering how long the gestation period is and how fast they grow?

They grow VERY slow. I purchased full grown adults, so I had eggs within a week or two and the snails hatch from the eggs within 2 weeks. But once they hatch it will take months for them to be to a feeding size for a small chameleon and about a year to be full grown. But if you spend the initial few month investment, you can have a constant cycle going after that.

Back
Top Bottom