Gaping while basking

So ive recently changed the lightbulb form 75 watt halogen to 50 watt halogen bulb. The basking branch gives a temperature of around 78 but my cham will still gape. His body temperature is around 87 on the spine. Am i doing something wrong? He also sits in his basking spot for a long time..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210702-171041_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210702-171041_Gallery.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 71
How are you measuring your temps? The fixture looks too close to the cham. You want a good 10 inch distance to the branch to ensure there is not a thermal burn risk. I would raise the fixture.

Is he only Gaping when basking?

And another question. Your wood framing you put in. What type of wood is it and did you seal it properly prior to adding it to the cage?

How are you measuring your temps? The fixture looks too close to the cham. You want a good 10 inch distance to the branch to ensure there is not a thermal burn risk. I would raise the fixture.

Is he only Gaping when basking?
Thanks for the tip! Put the basking branch lower! Im measuring with an infrared thermometer by Ketotek!

Is it a temp gun or a probed thermometer or something else?

Edit: it's a temp gun, which measure surface temps, not air temps (like basking). A digital thermometer with probe, with the probe placed where the top of your chameleon's back is when he's on his basking branch, is what should be used to measure basking temps, as it's the most accurate

Thanks for the tip! Put the basking branch lower! Im measuring with an infrared thermometer by Ketotek!
You need a gauge with a probe. Zoo med makes one. You hook in the probe with a zip tie at the basking branch. This will give you the real temp. It will be hotter where he raises into the heat. So your looking for a temp of 80 at the branch not hotter.

Is he only gaping while basking?

And another question. Your wood framing you put in. What type of wood is it and did you seal it properly prior to adding it to the cage?

Back
Top Bottom