Gaping mouth often

adhdreptilenerd

I have a 4 year old Jackson's chameleon that is constantly keeping his mouth open. When doing research they said it was probably too hot, we changed his light set up so his basking temps are now 85-90 depending on if he climbs the side of the cage and the overall temperature of the tank ranges from 70-90 at the hottest. His humidifier is on basically all day which leaves it at about 60-80%. At night it usually only drops down to 60%-50% or so. I don't think it's defensive because usually when I see him do it and go to get a closer look and try and hear if there's any raspy breathing he closes it. He has a full spectrum 10.0 reptisun tube and goes outside basically everyday now since I'm home all the time. He is shedding right now which some people have said attributes to gaping the mouth open but he's been doing this since before he was shedding. He might have just been pre-shed though, I'm not positive. I don't see a lot of excess mucus or saliva and when I try and listen for it I don't hear any raspy breathing. He's active and bright eyed. I feed him crickets and mealworms though he rarely eats the mealworms. I've tried dubia roaches but he won't eat them. I dust them with repticalcium without d3 and give him 10-ish small everyday. I have a small dish with a few mealworms in there which he doesn't really care for.
IMG_8254.JPG
IMG_8293.JPG

@JacksJill might have the answer.

Have you always had the temperatures so warm?
Not to do th the gaping, but the light might be too much UVB for him too. Is it the same one you've always used?

The temperatures have always been this warm, they were actually warmer before on accident so I got a lower wattage bulb. And yes I've always had this UVB light, I got him from someone else a few months ago who was re-homing him and he had that uvb light so I just got a new bulb of the same version. I didn't know there was such thing as too much UVB.

Back
Top Bottom