Galvinized mesh for screen use ??

No, don't use that. The galvanizing is very rough and may cause sores on the feet. Plus galvanized wire and mesh are just dirty - it gets coated with oil during the fabrication process, so it leaves a nasty film on your hands. I wouldn't want that to get on my chameleon.

Get the plastic mesh instead - much fewer issues with it and much easier to work with. If you can get plastic-coated metal mesh, that would be okay.

the plastic mesh they had looked really big squares in the middle .. so like are u saying the galvinized cant be used at all ?? i can cover most of the screen with fake plants and etc for she wont get on it as much or at all

Many years ago I had chams get sores from that wire. I wouldn't use it again for chameleons.

I don't know how it would work for chams, but for my chicken tractor I painted the galvinized steel mesh with a couple of heavy coats of forest green outdoor paint with a really long warranty (decades and decades- can't remember if it was 20, 30, 50 years or what). It feels very smooth now even after 3 or 4 years and it looks great- isn't an eyesore in the yard and no glare and great visibility when looking in at the chickens.

I would recommend just standard aluminum screening. The fiberglass screening works but adult crickets can chew through it so I don't recommend using it.

Is this mesh different from hardware cloth? I don't have an issue with hardware cloth. The only concern is how to contain free roamed feeders.

Is this mesh different from hardware cloth? I don't have an issue with hardware cloth. The only concern is how to contain free roamed feeders.

Hardware cloth tends to be galvanized too as it will rust easily, similar to chicken wire. You can scrub it then paint it with tool handle coatings and also spray it with kid-safe latex paint to seal the surfaces and smooth rough edges. Also consider the coated wire mesh used for rabbit hutches. I've used hardware cloth, galvanized wire, aluminum and fiberglass windowscreen on various cages over the years. They can all work. Hardware cloth is easier on claws that can get snagged in smaller mesh sizes, but feeders can get out. One solution is to semi-confine your feeders in a larger plastic box. If you want to feed houseflies you can make a windowscreen outer cover that the cham won't climb on. Flies tend to congregate near the heat and light so you often only need to put windowscreen panels around the upper part of the cage.

enclosures

1/4 in. hardware cloth doesn't seem to injure the chams feet, but as you say the feeders can escape. 1/8 in. hardware cloth definitely causes sores on the lower side of the feet, but most larger feeders can't get out. I like the black aluminum screen the best. You can see through it well and it holds water drops for the cham to drink from. It does tear easier than all the hardware cloth though.

Hardware cloth tends to be galvanized too as it will rust easily, similar to chicken wire. You can scrub it then paint it with tool handle coatings and also spray it with kid-safe latex paint to seal the surfaces and smooth rough edges. Also consider the coated wire mesh used for rabbit hutches. I've used hardware cloth, galvanized wire, aluminum and fiberglass windowscreen on various cages over the years. They can all work. Hardware cloth is easier on claws that can get snagged in smaller mesh sizes, but feeders can get out. One solution is to semi-confine your feeders in a larger plastic box. If you want to feed houseflies you can make a windowscreen outer cover that the cham won't climb on. Flies tend to congregate near the heat and light so you often only need to put windowscreen panels around the upper part of the cage.

I'm confused. Isn't the purpose of galvanization to prevent rusting?

Also, I believe there's a rubber-coated option.

Yes the galvanizing inhibits rust, but it's not perfect. Any place the zinc is damaged from bending, nicking, cutting, etc, will start to spot rust. It's not the end of the world, but it's something that will happen. If you can get it, I would vote either plastic coated wire or the PVC flexible hardware cloth. I found it in the garden section of my hardware store.

Just figured I would put my response to your pm on here to add to the discussion, and so others who might search this topic could get as much insight as possible.

Your veiled will still climb on the mesh unless it is completely covered and I don't know how you would do that. It would be cheaper to buy plastic mesh at lowes or home depot. The chameleon can get its nails caught in galvanized much easier in the abrasive metal and break off causing serious problems and expensive vet bills to treat him. Not to mention the stress it would put him under. Best to just bite the bullet and get something else.

Back
Top Bottom