Furcifer campani

One of my chameleons! They are so active and have such a great personality and don't forget those gorgeous colors! Ruth

Ruth this is not the cham I purchased from you. Sadly Julie died. But she did lay 3 clutches of eggs. The one on the way to me, from which I still have 4 eggs, but little hope they will hatch. The other two laid while with Kevin look a lot better. What you see in the picture is a wc Kevin found.

Your the best Kevin, what awesome Chameleons! I can't wait till you have some little ones from those two, I will be first in line for a pair lol.

So sorry to here she passed. She was one of my favorites so robust and i loved the way she chased after flies. If those eggs have not shown any signs of mold they may still hatch for you. I certainly hope they do!

So sorry to here she passed. She was one of my favorites so robust and i loved the way she chased after flies. If those eggs have not shown any signs of mold they may still hatch for you. I certainly hope they do!

I have my eggs in the incubator and check them daily. They are a bit yellow but have not molded. As long as there is a chance I will keep hoping. I am also hoping Kevin will have hatchling so I can get one of those. Always good to have friends.:D

These chameleons are beautiful. I have been dying to ask this question though, what is the difference between carpets and jewelled chameleons if any?

The differences between the two are....small. (Tee hee) Carpets (Furcifer lateralis) has one of the largest ranges of a chameleon in Madagascar and can come from a number of climates (tropical forest, spiny desert, dry forests where the giant baobabs are, mountains, high plateau, etc. ) while jeweled (F. campani) are from a much smaller range of high-altitude grasslands. Carpets are slightly larger (not counting the much larger "major" form) and have been available in the trade for 20+ years. Jeweled were legally exported up until 1995 when they were suspended and just given a small export quota last year.

Great work with them , Kevin! They look as happy as could be!

They keep growing on me! I was very close to buying a pair when they were imported earlier this year. I think this next import when they come in I'm going to get me a pair or 2 so I can join the excitement!

Beautiful animals, Kevin! Definitely looking forward to you hatching these little guys

The differences between the two are....small. (Tee hee) Carpets (Furcifer lateralis) has one of the largest ranges of a chameleon in Madagascar and can come from a number of climates (tropical forest, spiny desert, dry forests where the giant baobabs are, mountains, high plateau, etc. ) while jeweled (F. campani) are from a much smaller range of high-altitude grasslands. Carpets are slightly larger (not counting the much larger "major" form) and have been available in the trade for 20+ years. Jeweled were legally exported up until 1995 when they were suspended and just given a small export quota last year.

So, while their common names are still some derivation of carpet chameleon (and thus probably still applicable to the question at hand), F. lateralis was actually split into 3 different species last year (F. lateralis, F. major and F. viridis: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1420-9101.2012.02528.x/abstract). All three still have relatively large ranges, but the range of F. lateralis might actually be the smallest of the three (F. viridis definitely has the largest range of the three). I believe the range for F. campani is still smaller, however.

Chris

D'oh! Totally forgot about the splits last year. Do you know if the 2013 imports were both lateralis and viridis?

Back
Top Bottom