Furcifer Campani - Jeweled Chameleon - Photographs

Absolutely beautiful pictures of an amazing creature. Furcifer Campani is definitely on my chameleon bucket list.

Here is a male firing up for a female. Their normally brown bodies turn almost completely black and their spots become a glowing white and blue.

Furcifer-Campani-Male-Canvas-Chameleons-1.jpg

Furcifer-Campani-Male-Canvas-Chameleons-2.jpg

Furcifer-Campani-Male-Canvas-Chameleons-3.jpg

Update on the first hatchling. She (I believe) has recently started to take on some new color patterns, specifically in her stripes. I prefer not to disturb her too much so I took the best pictures she would allow. As you can see, the colors of her lateral stripes have changed from a light yellow to a much deeper orange coloration.

Photo taken one week ago:
Furcifer-Campani-Baby-Canvas-Chameleons-0.jpg

Photos taken yesterday:

Furcifer-Campani-Baby-Canvas-Chameleons-11.jpg

Furcifer-Campani-Baby-Canvas-Chameleons-21.jpg

Furcifer-Campani-Baby-Canvas-Chameleons-31.jpg

Stunning little thing! Very well done.

I lost my sole hatchling about a week after he/she hatched. It looked just fine, was eating melanogaster flies, then poof, gone.

Good job.

Sam

She is so adorable. Love her new colors!

Great job. Look forward to seeing many more awesome photos!

Did you start to cool her off more at night? What is she eating now?

Amazing! It's as if someone took a paintbrush and meticulously painted her/him with those colors and patterns. :D Congrats!

Perry

Every time you post a different color change/phase I'm wowed just as much as the one before. It's like opening a door to find another door to find another door... Thanks for introducing me to all the different spectacles that are campani. I knew they were beautiful, just not THIS beautiful in so many ways.

Stunning little thing! Very well done.

I lost my sole hatchling about a week after he/she hatched. It looked just fine, was eating melanogaster flies, then poof, gone.

Good job.

Sam

Sam, that is the same exact experience with the two that I lost as well. Both were doing great and all of a sudden, gone.

She is so adorable. Love her new colors!

Great job. Look forward to seeing many more awesome photos!

Did you start to cool her off more at night? What is she eating now?

Thanks! Yes, I started to give the little one as well as the adults a larger night time drop. I haven't seen any noticeable changes in their behaviors though. She is still on aphids as she loves them but I also give her plenty of other choices. I think she is finally large enough for bean beetles so I'm starting them this weekend :)

Every time you post a different color change/phase I'm wowed just as much as the one before. It's like opening a door to find another door to find another door... Thanks for introducing me to all the different spectacles that are campani. I knew they were beautiful, just not THIS beautiful in so many ways.

Thank you! I'm so glad you and others enjoy them as much as I do. They are absolutely amazing chameleons and I'm honored to be able to work with them and share their beauty.

How lucky chams are to sulk, show off, pout, or rage in such a beautiful manner! Like birds broadcasting their annoyance with beautiful songs.

Wish humans were halfway as attractive doing the same.

Thank her for the show!

F. campani vs F. lateralis

I commonly get the question if Jeweled chameleons are the same as Carpet chameleons. The answer is no as they are two completely different species but they are commonly linked together as the same. I assume this is due to the similarity in color patterns and the lack of information available about the Jeweled chameleons. If you Google search "Jeweled Chameleon" you will quickly start to see pictures of Carpet chameleons popping up. I even had to change the Wikipedia picture a few months ago as it showed two female Carpet chameleons and not the Jeweled chameleon.

So, I decided to snap two pictures to try and show off the difference. Here is a young but of breeding age female Jeweled chameleon with a female Carpet chameleon.

The female Carpet was more curious than anything so she was not showing off any of her normal colors so the difference is very drastic in these pictures. I hope to take another set this weekend as the same female Carpet is now gravid and should show off some darker and more elaborate colors.

Jeweled on the left and Carpet on the right:
Female-Furcifer-Campani-Furcifer-Lateralis-Canvas-Chameleons-2.jpg

Jeweled on the bottom and Carpet on the top:
Female-Furcifer-Campani-Furcifer-Lateralis-Canvas-Chameleons-1.jpg

Here are two others to show the size of the female above. For such a small species they can certainly display a ton of color!

Female-Furcifer-Campani-Canvas-Chameleons-21.jpg

Female-Furcifer-Campani-Canvas-Chameleons-31.jpg

Back
Top Bottom