Funky Ribs

thank you! yes, he was having normal poops before the past couple days. I haven't made any changes since then though... Although I will be moving forward. Separate enclosures, higher humidity, better lighting, etc, as mentioned earlier in the thread.

I wouldn't have known any better about these things without yall's help, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!

Screenshot_20191105-200343_Chrome.jpg

That back leg looks kinda funky to me... could just be a weird angle or something?

Or is this cham not yours? Looks like it *could* be MBD, a break, or nothing. Just seemed off considering how scrawny they are to have such a thick leg and boney feet.

Otherwise, I'm at least glad you are here getting help and moving in the right direction. Best wishes to you and your chamily!

I'm really concerned about this behaviour.
If you slip cricket BETWEEN ITS TEETH so it has to bite it will it eat it or spit it out?

View attachment 250557

That back leg looks kinda funky to me... could just be a weird angle or something?

Or is this cham not yours? Looks like it *could* be MBD, a break, or nothing. Just seemed off considering how scrawny they are to have such a thick leg and boney feet.

Otherwise, I'm at least glad you are here getting help and moving in the right direction. Best wishes to you and your chamily!
It has really great calf’s

I'm really concerned about this behaviour.
If you slip cricket BETWEEN ITS TEETH so it has to bite it will it eat it or spit it out?

the light is off for the night, he is asleep for his normal day/night schedule. I can't imagine it would be beneficial to wake him to test that out.

Bringing him to the vet in the morning, should I bring a few crickets with me to try that out while there?

Thank you all again

I didn't mean to do it when he's asleep.
It's up to you about taking the crickets. It's just a test....if a chAmeleon spits it out it usually means it's very sick...but not always. It's just a test to evaluate.

I didn't mean to do it when he's asleep.
It's up to you about taking the crickets. It's just a test....if a chAmeleon spits it out it usually means it's very sick...but not always. It's just a test to evaluate.
thank you, a good trick to keep in mind going forward... I will let you know what happens tomorrow!

Hi all,

Vet gave him some dewormer, Panacur, and advised we force feed him small amounts until he decides to eat again on his own. As of now, he is eating the small crickets we put in his mouth. He is moving around a lot more today and has opened his eyes more.

Thank you guys for all of the help, I will continue to update his progress.

Thanks for taking him to the vet and posting the update.

I know you filled out the help form already. But if you also post pictures of his full enclosure it would also help members critique the enclosures setup.

We just want to make sure your little guy has the best chance possible on a full recovery.

I hope he's on the way to recovery now.
Be careful when forcing him to eat that nothing goes down into his lungs. Putting the crickets into his mouth is the best way...just try to make sure that they are placed between his teeth.

Last edited:
Yes, as @kinyonga said... and should you have to force feed or water it is important to do it correctly. Here is a helpful website with info for it.
http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/2014/05/how-to-give-different-medicines.html

thank you! this helps so much...

I am currently working on updating the enclosure, not perfect (yet) but making improvements that @Beman suggested on my help form!

Temp in Basking area is 87°F.

Temp in enclosure (not basking area) is 76°F

Humidity is 40% when not spraying, gets up to 70% when I spray the enclosure.

It warms my heart that he is moving and choosing to drink water on his own now, as well as choosing to chew the small crickets we place in between his teeth. ♡

Although the veterinarian didn't find it necessary to perform a fecal test on either of them, I spoke with my equine parasitology professor today, who (happily) agreed to help me do it anyway, to the best of our abilities.

Why do you have an equine parasitologynprofessor @sydneycarter?
I hate it when a vet just treats parasites with no fecal having been done to make sure the medication will kill the parasites the chameleon has ...if it even does have a parasite.

What did the vet say was wrong with the chameleon?

Why do you have an equine parasitologynprofessor @sydneycarter?
I hate it when a vet just treats parasites with no fecal having been done to make sure the medication will kill the parasites the chameleon has ...if it even does have a parasite.

What did the vet say was wrong with the chameleon?

I am studying equine science for my undergrad degree.

I voiced my concerns, and the vet took all into consideration. Looked in Ezra’s mouth/throat and said there was no sign of RI, positive the source of weight loss was some kind of parasite. Visiting again in a month for a follow up dose. He gave us more information about husbandry as well!

I didn't know,there were studies in equine science. Interesting!

I hope the vet is right about the parasites but unless he does a fecal he won't know what the parasite is ...if there even is one...so if the chameleon doesn't get better with the treatment then you're right back where you started and hopefully the chameleon won't be any worse. What antiparasite medication did the vet give your chameleon?

Back
Top Bottom