Funky Casque

SaintJimmy

Avid Member
I am (and have been for quite a while now) concerned about Mo's health.

I am quite aware that he does have some health problems already, and I am taking care of that, but recently I have been comparing photos of Mo to photos of other veiled chameleons.

What I'm really concerned about here is his casque.

From what I've seen, chameleons around his age (six and a half months) should have a casque like this.
Chris_Kadet_Veiled_Chalemeon_2008.jpg

This is Mo's casque (I have taken the liberty of horizontally flipping the photo for easier comparison) and as you can see, he looks relatively the same (except for the MBD in his arms which you cannot see in the picture) and of course the exception of the top of his casque.
fRKmL72.jpg

It seems like he is missing a whole section of the casque bone thing. :( It's always been like that. Looks like someone took a bite out of it.

What are you really concerned about? If he has MBD, it can effect the growth of the casque. Are you treating him for MBD right now?

Doesnt look like he is missing anything :)

Thats just how his casque grew. I dont see any signs of trauma for it to be related to a past burn, etc...

What are you really concerned about? If he has MBD, it can effect the growth of the casque. Are you treating him for MBD right now?

I will circle what I'm concerned about. Yes we are giving him calcium and treating him, don't worry.

Doesnt look like he is missing anything :)

Thats just how his casque grew. I dont see any signs of trauma for it to be related to a past burn, etc...

He is missing an entire chunk of the bone.

Circled in red.

GT5D

zp4ZHGw.jpg

MBD will affect how bones grow and develop, it's entirely possible that the calcium deficiency caused parts of his casque to grow (or not) at different rates. Nothing is missing, it just hasn't developed properly. It may get less dramatic as he continues to grow if the MBD is being properly treated, but there are no guarantees with this kind of thing.

MBD will affect how bones grow and develop, it's entirely possible that the calcium deficiency caused parts of his casque to grow (or not) at different rates. Nothing is missing, it just hasn't developed properly. It may get less dramatic as he continues to grow if the MBD is being properly treated, but there are no guarantees with this kind of thing.

Oh okay thanks.

I am treating him right now as best as I can with proper supplements.

I'm just worried though because I thought maybe MBD completely crumbled away that bone, but maybe its just wiggly and deformed looking.. Hopefully when he grows up it will look slightly taller.

The skeleton is just a base to refer to. It is in no way representing how every casque forms on veileds or even how every single one looks.. Some are huge and some are small. Some have a dramatic arch where others arent so much. You can keep going with this but i hope you understand.

Whether it was from nutrition or just a personal trait from his genetics. It is just how your guys bone grew.

The skeleton is just a base to refer to. It is in no way representing how every casque forms on veileds or even how every single one looks.. Some are huge and some are small. Some have a dramatic arch where others arent so much. You can keep going with this but i hope you understand.

Whether it was from nutrition or just a personal trait from his genetics. It is just how your guys bone grew.

Oh okay. I'm not as worried now.

It just looks like there is a chunk of bone missing, but I guess it's just floppy looking.

Thanks guys, and I am working on the MBD. It's a slow process.

Back
Top Bottom