Fungus!

Oh I forgot to say my vet looked at the fluid in the blisters and there was bacteria but no fungal spores. I am going in next week sometime after my vet gets done for the day to stain slides and see what we find. I'll keep you posted.

Do you know what the bacteria is? (I like to keep up on things like this.)

You said..."Did your parsons show a difference in the first week?"...its been a number of years...so I can't remember exactly but I think the blisters started to disappear in a few days. The areas that looked grey, where the fungus had started stayed grey. I know that my Parson's was on the medication for a while...likely 2 weeks.

You said..."The bacteria (that was cultured) is sensitive to the antibiotics he is on so I'm hoping it will work"..in many cases with chameleons the antibiotics won't clear up areas of infection where the "pus" hasn't been removed...but I don't know if it applies to the bacteria in blisters or not.

Did the vet break all the blisters on your chameleon? Its hard to see the areas in your pictures clearly.

Yes she broke all of them with a needled syringe, sucked out the fluid and then took the skin off that was holding the fluid in. She then took him and scrubbed the areas really well with betadine. She told me to stop using the silver sulfa ointment on every area but the arm where the skin was taken because she said the other areas might not be drying out enough. The other areas I scrub with betadine every day and let dry.

Your parsons affected skin stayed gray forever afterwards? It never went back to normal color, even after shedding? How did you know the medicine killed the fungus then? Did you have to get your parsons tested afterwards? Sorry for all the questions.

my vet never told me what type of bacteria it is but she said it was the type in staff infections. I will ask her when I go in to tell me the type of bacteria. I thought it would have been listed on my lab paperwork but it isn't.

The gray marks decreased somewhat with each shed...but the big ones never went away completely. The blisters were small enough that the discoloration disappeared.

We assumed that the fungus was gone because the chameleon didn't get any more blisters and seemed to be healthy. He did have an enlarged liver and was anemic. The vet and I talked about whether to do a liver biopsy or not...but we decided not to since it would make the anemia worse and he didn't seem to be having a problem.

He lived with me for quite a while after and when he finally died an autopsy showed that the liver was back to normal and the fungus was nowhere to be found.

Don't worry about asking questions...its the best way to learn next to experience!

I asked her the name of the bacteria but she didn't have a name, just that it was a staff infection and the bacteria was not (something or other) I forget what she said. I told her I'd forget because I didn't have anything to write with when we were talking on the phone, lol! I will write it down when I see her in person, prob today. She did say that the other yeast culture came back as a fungus that humans can actually get! It is plant/soil based so we were wondering about taking out Rex's ficus tree? He has only had it for a month in his cage. Not sure it would help to take it out or not. The fungus is called Cryptococcus. She went to a lunch meeting with top exotic vets in the area yesterday and they did not seem too concerned with the tree being in there. They also did not seem concerned that this new fungus could be transmitted to humans. I am a little worried though for my son. He has allergies,asthma and eczema really bad. He just became sick last night and so far it seems he has the flu but the same symptoms are associated with Cryptococcus. Humans usually don't get this unless they are immune compromised so I am not sure what to think. I think if he does not get better tomorrow I am taking him to the doctor and having him tested.

The areas of skin where there were blisters on Rex has gone necrotic now and is slowly coming off:( It is pink underneath which is good but now he is going to have more scars on his body:( Poor chameleon! The rest of the lesions are looking good I think. No new ones and he is starting to shed. I think his head is looking better too. So I think he is healing and the medicines are working. He is still eating and drinking well which I am still very surprised about. I can't believe how much he has gone through and is still going through and he just keeps trucking along! I hope it continues:)

I took him to the vet for x ray and more blood work monday. No word on how the x rays look because she has to find some x rays to compare Rex's too. I did get a call yesterday saying his blood work looks better than it did before so that means the medicine is working!!!!!!!!! I was so happy I started hollering and throwing my hands in the air!

Oh, and I forgot to ask about that bacteria, darn it! One of these days I will remember!

BTW does anyone happen to know normal calcium levels for Oustalets chams? Most reptiles are around 10 but some species normal levels are higher. Rex's was 14.

...BTW does anyone happen to know normal calcium levels for Oustalets chams? Most reptiles are around 10 but some species normal levels are higher. Rex's was 14.
Howdy,

Here are the numbers for Panthers. I suspect that'll be all that's available and they'd be the same anyway :eek:.

BloodPanelNormalsHeader.jpg

BloodPanelNormals_Page_1.jpg

BloodPanelNormals_Page_2.jpg

Thanks! I guess that means Rex's results are a little high. I think I might know why this is. When I dust insects I dump the bag into his feeding dish and sometimes there is extra calcium powder in the bottom of the bowl. The end of his tongue is very big and I think he must be getting the extra calcium powder at the bottom along with the already dusted insects. I will not be doing that anymore:)

Same problem

I have a seven month old panther chameleon that also seems to have a fungus. He has a dark grey spot on his right eye. Let me know how your test results go.

This thread is from 2009...
There are some fungii that can kill your chameleon (like Nannizziopsis Vriesii)...so its important to find out which one it is and get it treated properly.

Back
Top Bottom