Fungus maybe?

George and me

I noticed some black stains/spots on the face of my cham yesterday but I thought it might be soil. I haven't touched them yet, because I still haven't handled it since I got it few days ago. She's about 6months old and the spots are tiny. I could get good pictures, but I hope they're good enough for advice.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3685324/001.jpg

that picture is not of the best quality to really see. Sometimes black marks can be burn marks. Do you have your branches too close to the basking light where he could touch the screen? What temp is your basking area. Also, they can also hang upside on the screen under the light and if it is too hot they can get burned that way also. Just an idea of what it might be, not saying that it is. Again, can you trying taking a better picture.

Burns normally happen on the back or the top of the head.
That would be kinda a weird place for a burn.

regardless what temps is her basking are and what do you use to moniter it?

Like already stated it could be a bruise.
Does she rub her face on the screen mesh when shes climbing her enclosure alot?

sometimes pedro will rub his nose/chin on the mesh when hes pacing his cage and he gets little bruises.

Its could also be a cricket or some other feeder nipped her lip.

The cham came in a tiny viv and everything was pretty close. I did get a very roomy one now. She's been moved in it this afternoon and she's hiding in the plants now, away from any lights. The black bits don't look bigger than yesterday too. As soon as I manage to get a better picture I'll post it.

Looks like a little bruise to me. I wouldn't worry too much about it, doesn't seem like anything serious. Id anything, monitor it for a week or two to see if it gets better and goes away and if not look into it being something a little more serious.

Since it is in the mouth area I would watch it.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5700564_chameleon-mouth-disease.html

Chameleon Mouth Disease
Chameleon mouth disease, also known as infectious stomatitis or mouth rot, is a bacterial infection. It affects the gum, palate or tongue. Antibiotics are usually given to treat the infection.
Significance
Chameleon mouth disease is the end result of poor nutrition and improper care. Mouth inflammation is a response to stresses such as poor temperature regulation, over-crowding, vitamin C deficiency and improper calcium or phosphorous levels. These stresses diminish the immune system, leaving chameleons susceptible to bacterial infection.
Symptoms
Symptoms of chameleon mouth disease are loss of appetite, swelling of lips, skin discoloration and white mold chunks in oral mucous.
Diagnosis
To arrive at a diagnosis, the veterinarian will observe the symptoms, take a sample of blood to determine the complete blood count and grow cultures from mucus to determine the bacteria responsible.
Treatment
Antibiotic injections are the primary treatment option. Additionally, dead tissue in the mouth are removed, and the area is washed with antiseptic solution. The environment that houses the chameleon must remain warm and constant during recovery. Hand feeding is recommended.
Prevention
Simple measures can be taken to prevent mouth disease in chameleons. Enclosures should be properly cleaned and disinfected. Enclosures should maintain a proper temperature range, which does not fluctuate wildly. Ensure chameleons are fed properly

Read more: Chameleon Mouth Disease | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_5700564_chameleon-mouth-disease.html#ixzz0wzY84Cxk

It does look like maybe battle wounds. Was she kept in a cage with other chameleons? I'd put some Silvadene cream or Zymox cream on it. Just be careful not to get it in her eyes.

How serious is it? I'll be in big difficulties trying to apply them creams, because she is very afraid of people. I mean... if she'll be fine without the medicine I don't want to overstress her.

It's my only cham so it must have been done in the shop.

Probably happened before you got her. Shop onwers and breeder often keep several chams to a cage and they can be quite mean to each other. The cream would just help it to heal faster and make sure it doesn't get infected.

Back
Top Bottom