Fungus gnats ,will mosquito bits help?

Lindasjackson

Chameleon Enthusiast
I have fungus gnats that started in my orchid collection and now seem to be in Eustis plants. now Eustis never goes to,the plant pots nor does he eat anything other than bugs, not gnats. Can I use mosquito bits in the soil of his plants? I plan to use them in the orchids.

I’ve used mosquito bits to get rid of fungus gnats before with bonsai trees. The best way to do it is to add the bits to a milk jug of water and let them sit in there for a couple of hours and then strain the bits out and water the plants. It took about 3 weeks to get rid of them completely.

I struggle with gnats between houseplants yard plants chameleon enclosure but hands down the worst culprit is my isopod tubs.

I've used the bits with mixed results I feel like it's a war long and hard fought you need to win the numbers game and kill as many of the gnats as possible and interrupt the life cycle. Covering soil helps as well many keepers recommend this so your chameleon doesn't eat soil but I like it so the gnats have less access to lay eggs.

I think I'm going to put a few sundews around to help snag the gnats next time I have an outbreak.

I struggle with gnats between houseplants yard plants chameleon enclosure but hands down the worst culprit is my isopod tubs.

I've used the bits with mixed results I feel like it's a war long and hard fought you need to win the numbers game and kill as many of the gnats as possible and interrupt the life cycle. Covering soil helps as well many keepers recommend this so your chameleon doesn't eat soil but I like it so the gnats have less access to lay eggs.

I think I'm going to put a few sundews around to help snag the gnats next time I have an outbreak.
I’m just not sure where to get sundews. I’ve never seen them in the stores. I live in Maine and I know they grow here but I’m not able to walk on uneven ground very well to go find them.

Mosquito bits totally work for fungus gnats. I just sprinkle some right on top of the plant soil and they work when you water them. I haven't really had to re-apply after a year or more of doing it so far and we have probably upwards of 50 house plants including the ones in Mr Puff's habitat.

I’m just not sure where to get sundews. I’ve never seen them in the stores. I live in Maine and I know they grow here but I’m not able to walk on uneven ground very well to go find them.
I can’t remember which I bought mine from, but it was one of the first two. You want drosera capensis.
https://www.californiacarnivores.com/
https://carnivorousplantnursery.com...Dl7epRzzMtvsfJ7vVW9mvj1CP1JLlJ5caAusEEALw_wcB
https://predatoryplants.com/?gclid=...6brtoA0DV_5eCUpP4Pxh0-AUlLtco7zMaAic4EALw_wcB

It’s hard to fight off fungus gnats and chameleon enclosures, because they thrive in moist environments. For house plants you can change the potting medium to ensure that it drains well and allows some air pockets, and that the top 2 inches dry out before you re-water. That’s a good practice anyway to avoid root rot.

What has been most successful for me in my chameleon enclosures is hatching mantis ooths. I occasionally have bouts with white fly, which are about the size of soil gnats but… White! They’re a pain in the butt, but the mantids hatch, munch on the gnats or white flies for a few days before becoming a snack for the Chameleon. It’s also a great enrichment for the Chameleon! When one or two mantis escape… I don’t mind because they’ll chill on my house plants and continue to do the good work.

If you go the mosquito dunks route… You need to allow the dunks to soak in water at least overnight, and then pour the water over the plant, not the dunks. You need to repeat the process I believe several times before it becomes fully effective.

If you go the mosquito dunks route… You need to allow the dunks to soak in water at least overnight, and then pour the water over the plant, not the dunks. You need to repeat the process I believe several times before it becomes fully effective.
Thank you!

@Lindasjackson fungus gnats become an issue when you have moist substrate and stagnant air. You most likely just need to circulate the air. I found this information to fix my problem after speaking to a Mistking rep @ one of the reptile shows. I was having this issue in my planted chameleon enclosures. He recommended to find a way to circulate the air by using a small PC fan and in no time my problem was fixed.

There is a specific nematode that interferes with the fungus gnat life cycle. I bought them but never used them as my gnats were gone before they arrived.

Back
Top Bottom