Fuelleborni and werneri

leedragon

Chameleon Enthusiast
What ever happen to this species. I remember some years ago people had breeding pairs and CB youngs. Does anyone still have them? Or know someone who currently keep them?

Trioceros fuelleborni I have not kept in over 20 years. I have not seen them for sale in the USA in about 16 years. They are a very neat and personable chameleon. The one I kept was a captive born from a wild female and used to great me at her enclosure door when it was feeding time.

My Trioceros werneri I owned a wild caught pair in 2015. The female was heavily pregnant and gave birth to babies. I kept a couple of the babies and sold the others. That species I have not seen other than mine and GCash's since Tanzania closed in 2016. Both of those groups are not going anymore. I think when or if Tanzania reopens both species should be available. Neither species is to my knowledge rare or endangered species in their native habitats.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Trioceros fuelleborni I have not kept in over 20 years. I have not seen them for sale in the USA in about 16 years. They are a very neat and personable chameleon. The one I kept was a captive born from a wild female and used to great me at her enclosure door when it was feeding time.

My Trioceros werneri I owned a wild caught pair in 2015. The female was heavily pregnant and gave birth to babies. I kept a couple of the babies and sold the others. That species I have not seen other than mine and GCash's since Tanzania closed in 2016. Both of those groups are not going anymore. I think when or if Tanzania reopens both species should be available. Neither species is to my knowledge rare or endangered species in their native habitats.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
That´s a shame. I thought I saw some threads of fulleborni that were from 10 years ago or so. Could you tell a litle about how you kept the babies? do you still have their pictures?

Was the reason Tanzania closet that they hadn´t have a proper inventuary for their animal population and not further export would be done until so? or I am mixing it with some other country. I think that was the case with where jacksonii merumontanus lives.

What do you mean?

I had a trio (1.2) of fuellebornis. They did have a lot of personality.

I had at least a pair of werneri but they never produced while with me. I figure I didn't have the husbandry quite right or maybe I was missing a trigger for the breeding.
Also, when the werneri came in some others came in that I bought as werneri but they weren't. I noticed the difference right away...crests on the backs were different for one thing....horns differed for another.

What do you mean?

I had at least a pair of werneri but they never produced while with me. I figure I didn't have the husbandry quite right or maybe I was missing a trigger for the breeding.
Also, when the werneri came in some others came in that I bought as werneri but they weren't. I noticed the difference right away...crests on the backs were different for one thing....horns differed for another.
Sorry. I slept for like 4 hours ish. my registering of my spelling goes down alot when I don´t sleep.

I meat for how long did you kept them and how did they do for you?

What do you mean?

That´s too bad, back in 2009 I passed on the oportunity to buy fuellebornis and merus. How funny it is. You think they are gonna be around whenever but now they are nowhere to be found. I often wonderwhere do they youngs of the imported species go.

All were WC and the fuellebornis did quite well kept similarly to merus....dwarf jacks.

The werneri looked old when I got them and they didn't t do as well. I kept them sort of like a montane species if I remember correctly. They were a little more shy.

I can't count how many times only miles or only females would come in and by the time the opposite sex came in the original ones I bought had passed on already. I often wondered if he importers did it on purpose so nobody could get pairs and breed them and then they wouldn't be needed as imports anymore...if you know what It mean.

That´s a shame. I thought I saw some threads of fulleborni that were from 10 years ago or so. Could you tell a litle about how you kept the babies? do you still have their pictures?

Was the reason Tanzania closet that they hadn´t have a proper inventuary for their animal population and not further export would be done until so? or I am mixing it with some other country. I think that was the case with where jacksonii merumontanus lives.

I think Tanzania closed to allow their wildlife to recover from over collecting, harvesting and hunting pressures. I think that is a good thing. It may be a while. However I think Tanzania may re-open to some exports again after forest conservation and wildlife is done to some collecting or ranching and farming reptiles in the future.

There is supposed to be about four or five phases of Trioceros werneri. There was talk of the next edition of the Chameleons of Africa Atlas was going to have new nomenclature and list new sub species of Trioceros werneri.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Back
Top Bottom