fruit fly questions

simca357

guys i have a bunch of veiled chameleons hatching and i want to have a wide variety of food but in my place there are no cultured fruit flies available, can i just feed them wild instead? are they dirty?

Yes.

Wild-caught insects as feeders is an excellent source of varied nutrition. Pet Smart/PetCo carry cultures sometimes.

I would still get more than just fruit flies for your herd of babies though:

1. Baby Dubias-buy from the sponsors here and specify the small size.

2. Small crickets-buy 250 or 500 depending on how large your herd is.

3. Hatch Silk Eggs-Easy to do, cheap if you hatch what you buy when you get them. Coastal Silkworms or Mulberry farms, also sponsors

4. Hatch Hornworm eggs-do 50 to start as they grow fast-Great Lakes Hornworm, also a sponsor

5. Bean Beetle cultures-I have those in the CF Classified Feeders section

6. House flies-buy from Mantidpets.com

7. Blue Bottle flies- once the chams are about 6 inches total length, also buy from Mantpets.com.

I have care sheets on most of these, email me at [email protected] and I will send the ones you request.

CHEERS!

Nick:D

CHEERS!

Last edited:
Yes.

Wild-caught insects as feeders is an excellent source of varied nutrition. Pet Smart/PetCo carry cultures sometimes.

I would still get more than just fruit flies for your herd of babies though:

1. Baby Dubias-buy from the sponsors here and specify the small size.

2. Small crickets-buy 250 or 500 depending on how large your herd is.

3. Hatch Silk Eggs-Easy to do, cheap if you hatch what you buy when you get them. Coastal Silkworms or Mulberry farms, also sponsors

4. Hatch Hornworm eggs-do 50 to start as they grow fast-Great Lakes Hornworm, also a sponsor

5. Bean Beetle cultures-I have those in the CF Classified Feeders section

6. House flies-buy from Mantidpets.com

7. Blue Bottle flies- once the chams are about 6 inches total length, also buy from Mantpets.com.

I have care sheets on most of these, email me at [email protected] and I will send the ones you request.

CHEERS!

Nick:D

CHEERS!

as much as i want to have all those colonies i cant, but i have dubia roaches. haha im from the philippines silkworm is hard to find but available those flightless fruitflies are not available here but thanks!! im currently feeding them pinhead crickets for now :D

Back
Top Bottom