Fruit Fly Culturing

Marty I know this thread is old but quick question, how much brewers yeast and sugar do you add to the vinegar and water mix?

I just eye ball it... trust me, whatever you put in will work. Flies are not that picky. I usually put about a cup of each for 12 cultures

I use a rough half cup of bran (easier for me to find than dehydrated potatoe flakes) and a rough half cup of warmed apple sauce (or sugar or a half banana*) and a quarter cup of vinegar. And finally a rough table spoon of yeast. Poor it into glass jars, toss in some pieces of pulled apart dish scrubbers, dump in flies, cover with scraps of cloth. It is NOT a big deal to rinse out the jars with hot water and reuse.
*if using banana, I microwave the mix to make sure anything there is dead before adding the yeast, which I mix in after the mix has cooled down a bit.

i made some cultures lastweek and im super excited that i have maggots. nailed it the first time....or maybe its just that easy

God this thread is old :p But I´ll try my luck on getting an answer anyway!

The overflow cup, what does is it contain? Do you put the same ingrediens in there as in the seed cups?

Thanks / prog

Yes, the overflow is a normal empty culture. I just mark it as "O" and never use it to start new cultures with

Back
Top Bottom